Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, daft question o_O but do you actually need to switch off the Ampera when you leave the car?

In these days of keyless entry, although I haven't done it yet, would it be safe to forget to turn off the car (i.e. forget to press the Bright Blue lit button).

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Hi, daft question o_O but do you actually need to switch off the Ampera when you leave the car?

In these days of keyless entry, although I haven't done it yet, would it be safe to forget to turn off the car (i.e. forget to press the Bright Blue lit button).
You would get "BOINGED":p

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I think it shuts itself down after about 15 minutes of inactivity - maybe shorter if you've locked the doors when you walk away? Not tried it ;-)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Richard, 15 minutes, well that would be penalty enough, at this time of year I don't think I'd have any change left...:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Plus of course someone else could just get in and drive away, without the keys being needed!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Not if it was locked with the remote, presumably!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I did it a few times in my old job. Pulled up, jumped out, plugged in to charge, and promptly forgot about it. 3 hours later realised it was still on, and not charging :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting question this. I imagine if the ready light was left on (Blue light button) the HV battery would slowly discharge trying to keep the 12v battery charged until the HV battery is depleted then the REX would start to charge the HV battery that is charging the 12v battery until the fuel runs out then the HV battery would go flat (Or as flat as the ECM will allow) the 12v battery would go flat and you would have a dead 12v battery, run out of fuel and a flat HV battery. There is then a potential serious issue that even when you boost the 12v battery and fill with fuel the REX cannot start because there is no power in the HV battery to start the REX. I'm guessing in that case there must be a point where the HV battery will not discharge beyond in this scenario. I guess at least you may still be able to charge via the plug in? As far as I know this scenario is possible on a Prius and the only remedy is to somehow charge the HV battery (Not plugin!)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Or you could just get in the habit of turning the power off as soon as you've come to a stop, before you open the door ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts