Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a used Leaf. I am tempted to try and find one where the battery is owned outright rather than leased.

What I would like to know and haven't been able to find out is if after some time the battery degrades to the point where it is no longer usable, can I replace my owned battery with a leased one? That is, if you own the battery, do you retain the option of swapping to a leased one if you so choose? If so, what are the costs for swapping the batteries?

If this is not possible, buying a used Leaf seems like a big gamble. If the battery degrades too much it would seem you pretty much loose the entire car with no economically viable path to swapping in a working battery. Or is there some other way this is dealt with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Only the original japanese built version 1s are even close to that point though.. and by that time the car is 6-7 years old. You then get the failed cells repaired (I'm not aware of any in the UK that have needed this but in theory it's doable) and it's good for another 6-7 years.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Nissan don't offer any facility to swap from owned battery to leasing as far as I know.

How long would you plan to keep the car? It's going to be interesting to see how the Leaf ages. I would personally be more worried about other parts of the car breaking and being very expensive to repair out of warranty than the battery degradation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Leaf's that are affordable (to me) are from 2013/2014, so already 4-5 years old.

I'd be looking to keep it for hopefully ~5 years, so degradation at the 6-7 year mark would be an issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Even for me who only plans on owning the Leaf for 2-3 years, the lease price on flex was way above the cost of the PCP on a non-flex, as it's about £70/m and that's on top of your PCP. The value difference may only shave off say, £2k so you end up paying more anyway. It's definitely not worth leasing for 5 years or so though.

Buy an OBDII adapter (I use Carista) and LeafSpy, pop the cover off (it's a right ass to remove) and take a look at the cells and SOH. That was the first thing I did after mine arrived at the dealer and it was at 93% in cold weather and hadn't had many rapid charges. For a 65 plate with 29k on the clock that ain't half bad.

How well the battery fairs is more down to how much care is given to it and if it's been left sitting for ages on a full charge (which a lot of people will do). A reasonable mileage (20-30k) will bring the price down but because this is an EV the mileage means nothing in terms of how beaten the car is, in fact you don't want one with too low a mileage compared to the age as that just says "This has been sitting charged in a driveway for ages" to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts