Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering ordering a Soul EV 30 kWh to replace our Leaf 24 kWh (2015 model) when the PCP is up in October. I will be test driving one today, and want to know a few things to watch out for.

Based on the EPA ratings the range is better, but the efficiency I calculate from its range and usable capacity is worse.

2015 Leaf 24 kWh (21.3 usable) — EPA range 84 miles, 15.8 kWh/100 km
Soul EV 27 kWh (27 usable) — EPA range 93, 18 kWh/100 km
2016 Leaf 30 kWh (maybe 28 usable) — EPA range 107, 16.3 kWh/100 km
2018 Soul EV 30 kWh (30 usable) — EPA range 113 (unconfirmed), 16.5 kWh/100 km

The hire company says that typically drivers feel the 27 kWh Soul compares better in usable range than the 30 kWh Leaf, so I can expect even more from the newer 30 kWh Soul EV. However, I worry about motorway range, particularly based on internet comments about boxiness, and its drag coefficient of 0.35 vs the Leaf's 0.28.

We typically use the Leaf for local driving, but occasionally visit family 180 miles away in Manchester. In the Leaf this requires two stops, the first at Frankley Northbound, 78 miles away. I normally get there in the Leaf, doing 60 mph behind lorries, with about 5% battery remaining. My main requirement from a replacement EV is being able to make that journey with one charging stop instead of two, stopping at either Hilton Park (95 miles away) or Stafford (106 miles away). It would be significantly more convenient.

Would this be possible in the Soul EV 30 kWh? Is it still 'better' than the Leaf at speed? Are my expectations realistic?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
The gearing is also a factor. I think the Soul has been pitched to be more efficient at higher speeds than the leaf as it is shaped like a brick so it may not make a difference. I don't know whether you can rapid charge to 100% with a leaf but you certainly can't with the Soul. It's limited to about 94% so that's another thing to consider.

Or there is the 40kWh zoe that would certainly do it in one stop, possibly even no stops in warmer weather.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, understood, but I can't afford any of the Zoe ZE40 deals I've seen. To be honest we don't really need to replace the Leaf, and could go down to one car, our very practical diesel estate. We're only replacing the Leaf because it's so nice to drive, and because other affordable EV deals exist.

In the Leaf you can rapid charge to 100%, but typically the 30 minute session cutoff limits you to low 80s, as the charge rate above that really tails off: up to 106A (at 360V) when around 50% full, but only around 25A (at 395V) when above 80%. At that point there's no practical benefit to continuing to charge rather than driving.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,350 Posts
Depends how you drive it.

I am expecting the full 180 mile summer range from my Soul .... I will have a routine 120 mile that I am anticipating doing all year around.

If you can't make that trip with just one charge, then I've just signed into a 4 year lease with a lemon that's not fit for my purposes. I don't think that's true.

·
Registered
155 Posts
From my experience with a mix of all types of driving I’m averaging 4 miles per kWh

That’s a 27kwh Soul.

Pure motorway driving is around 3.7 miles per kWh (65-70mph)

The 30kw has some further tweaks to improve range, battery optimisation and tyres. So I’d expect 4 miles per kWh on the motorway.

I’m not driving it any differently from my previous ICE car so this could well be worst case for you. (For example I’m not turning off the A/C, or using B mode anymore as it was annoying)

So assuming you went from 100% to 0 and then charged once to 94% that’s a range of 232 miles with a single stop. With the 30kw

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my 27kWh Soul for nearly 3 weeks now and the miles per kW has gradually gone up from 4.8 to 5.0 and it is now showing a range at 100% of 117 miles. This is mostly in 30 and 40 mph speed limits so no doubt higher speeds would reduce these figures.

Interestingly, earlier this week at 50% battery I had done 74 miles with 53 miles range showing which would suggest a range of 127 miles or even 148 miles depending on how you calculate it. Without running it until it runs out or at least gets very low it is difficult to say which is correct.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We drove the car this afternoon. Very pleasant, and I liked the recycled plastic interior, though a few aspects seemed cartoonist or cheap. Mind you, even our top-of-the-range Leaf Tekna with its leather interior has its fair share of naff plastic trim.

It was hard to know what the efficiency of the car was like, as the dealer's comments and the economy history display suggested that this demonstrator car gets tested more for its acceleration than its range. Also it was a 27 kWh car, on Nexen tyres, and lacked Android Auto or a rear seat armrest. I wonder whether the tyres make a difference.

Some post-test-drive questions:
  • What is the 'music + -' dial to the bottom right of the steering wheel?
  • Is it possible to deactivate the VES (pedestrian warning sound)?
  • What does the boot button on the remote do?
  • I couldn't tell much difference between eco mode and normal. It seems to change the accelerator pedal mapping. Does it also reduce maximum power?
  • Is there a way to display battery percentage on the instrument binnacle, instead of only in the 'infotainment' screen?

·
Registered
155 Posts
  • What is the 'music + -' dial to the bottom right of the steering wheel?
It’s for the mood lighting in the doors (speaker grilles) you can make it music activated but it has to be stupidly loud.
  • Is it possible to deactivate the VES (pedestrian warning sound)?
No. (Might be able to pull a fuse)
  • What does the boot button on the remote do?
Unlocks the boot button for use, doesn’t pop it.
  • I couldn't tell much difference between eco mode and normal. It seems to change the accelerator pedal mapping. Does it also reduce maximum power?
Yes, along with regen and climate control.
  • Is there a way to display battery percentage on the instrument binnacle, instead of only in the 'infotainment' screen?
No.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Music + is the interior coloured lighting that changes according to your music.

I've never even noticed the pedestrian warning sound on mine.

Eco mode on mine is fairly different to normal. It's a lot less reactive on the accelerator. The normal mode is much sharper feeling. I think it's a bit quicker in normal from a standing start but I haven't tested it properly.

I'm assuming the boot button on the remote unlocks the boot. I use the button on the boot itself so I don't think I've ever tried it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I do a 180 mile round trip every fortnight to visit my Gran. realistically with my 27kw Soul I still need the 2 stops. I leave home with 100% and stop at a shopping outlet with a Chademo 64 miles into the journey. By the time the wife finishes shopping and I drink a costa the car is 100% again. I leave here and travel to my Grans and then leave here and travel back home, but I stop 84 miles in at the last Chademeo unit before home. I charge here again too 84% and do the final 34 miles home. I have got used to it and look forward too the stops for a coffee stop.

check out my "Living with a Soul" thread. I just did a 330 miles in a day trip...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd already read that thread, thanks Buck Eejit.

I'm tempted to test drive another dealer's used Soul EV today to see whether I can get a better sense of energy usage—we only had the car for less than an hour yesterday.

• Is it possible to reset the energy usage gauge? I'm aware of holding the down arrow button on the steering wheel. Is that all I need to do or is there anything extra?
  • This car has 12000 miles on it. Is there a battery health readout anywhere? (The Leaf has it right in your face next to the state of charge display).

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
I've never seen a battery health read out anywhere. I'd ask the dealer for a printout of it.

The reset is just the steering wheel reset from what I remember. It also does the current energy usage as well in the energy display so instead of just having it showing where it's flowing you can see current usage.

If you're wanting to do longer journeys then the new Soul will be better than the old one. The extra 20 miles and being able to rapid to 94% makes it a much better car. It's worth checking out lease prices even if you were planning to buy outright as depreciation is enormous. I think the current soul will be a better long term bet than the 2014 one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To clarify: I've provisionally ordered a 30 kWh new car on PCH, which would be delivered in October. I have until Monday to confirm or cancel. The second test drive today would just be to help me decide, and for fun I guess, and is a used car because the nearest dealer isn't an EV dealer, but happens to have a used one in.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,350 Posts
I drove pretty normally (for me) and got 5.4mi/kWh. More would have been available if I tried harder.

I would be surprised if any 'normal' driver would not achieve 5mi/kWh if driving moderately, and the 30kWh is a further >10% improvement.

The reset was pretty obvious, I don't recall what I did.

Personally, I am sure you have ordered the best value EV that is available on a 'normal' budget, because I have ordered one too.

TBH, it is a no brainer right now with the PCH rates available to go for a Soul EV if it is a BEV you want. You've either got to like the Leaf styling or prefer the Zoe's questionable reliability to give you that day-to-day edge of excitement of not knowing if it'll actually work. (Sorry I don't mean to offend Leaf/Zoe drivers there, but I struggle to see what they offer over the Soul.)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have found the Soul to be absolute Black & White when it comes too efficiency

20mph Headwind - Obviously driving down a M/way @70 in a Blue Brick is not going to be efficient. I find driving my commute home which has 20 miles of M/way which I drive at 70mph. With a headwind I drive the 20 miles and use 30% battery

20mph Tailwind - Driving that same M/way @70 I can do the 20 miles with 19% used is my best.

Efficiency in an EV is so subjective. There are so, so many things that can help or hinder your range.

My total commute is 64 miles each day. My best battery usage has been 52% used. This would have been a tail wind day or very little wind and maybe a nice warm morning driving at 50-55mph with no Heat or A/C turned on.

My worst has been 78% used. this was a Minus 5 deg day with fairly heavy rain and headwinds both directions, Heat on @20deg. Just my luck the wind switched 180 deg during the work day.

The above scenarios are based on me leaving the house with 100% battery and I always Pre-heat the car for the 30 mins on the timer function.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Seriously considering the Soul as my next EV - my Zoe PCP is up end of Dec, ZE40 is too expensive. Not sold on the styling (Zoe looks way better) but it's better looking than the Leaf. I've got a 52 mile commute so this would be ideal. Pretty good value for the range you get.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Same boat here, Zoe due back 1st October. Just signed the paperwork with drive electric on the new MY18 soul in Titanium silver, Cheers Jack

·
Registered
183 Posts
Drove a 27kwh Soul EV the other day and very impressed with ride and how quiet it is. Assume you are getting a 30kwh. I enquired as well and offered a good deal from drive electric.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP here. I ordered the 30 kWh car from drive-electric two days after first starting this thread. It's due to arrive in October, roughly when my PCP deal ends on the Leaf.

My main observation having read about range on this thread and elsewhere (e.g. this Spectator article) for EVs in general recently is that there seems to be an expectation that a car's range should be measured in terms of driving at 70 mph on the motorway. I don't see how the square-shaped Soul EV is going to give its best in those conditions, and on long journeys I generally drive at 60 mph to get the best range out of the Leaf. I presume something similar is necessary for the Soul EV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts