Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks,

2 things;

Is it my imaginatio, or is the charging slower during the 4 hour Octopus Go charging window? The charge seems to start at 7.x but then drops to 6.x (rough approximation from the graph in the Sync EV app). I used to estimate 10% charge an hour, but overnight I am only getting about 30% in the 4 hours.

in the configuration settings > power management, are 32 (max current) and 6 (min charge current) correct? I have no idea about electrical stuff!).

Thanks
CG

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no known link or reason for Octopus to cause this. Any of the following could contribute
  • So 4 hours @ cir 6.5kWh is 26kWh, your battery is 64kWh so would need 3 nights of Go to get from 0% up to 100% , each night giving you cir 40%. So not far off your 30%
  • car slowing down the rate, normaly experianced in the last 10%
  • supply load CT, ie what else is on in the house at the same time? Have you electric storage heaters? Eg you have a 60Amp incoming fuse, car wants 32, other loads add up to another 50Amps, it will reduce the car charge rate to 10Amps to prevent blowing the fuse.
  • car in sensing a drop in voltage, possibly a poor electrical connection, so reduces the load to reduce the chance of severely overheated electrics. (Most likely, try another type2 cable, thermal infrared camera is a sure and quick way for an electrician to check this out)
  • local power provider , DNO doesn’t have enough local supply so reduces everyones EV charges (highly unlikely at night and not even in active use yet).

So 4 hours @ cir 6.5kWh is 26kWh, your battery is 64kWh so would need 3 nights of Go to get from 0% up to 100% , each night giving you cir 40%. So not far off your 30% is the most likely.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have OG and a SyncEV. Sometimes it’s the same rate all the way - sometimes it drops by 0.5kw or so. May well be changes in the local voltage. I get 7.8kw peak - as we’re near the top of the allowed voltage range (for reasons unknown).

sorry if that didn’t make sense - Uk domestic supply is ‘240v’ but it’s actually a range between 230 and 248 (I’ve made those figures up - but it’s a range) depending where you are and your local supply. Of course this affects the charging rate - as Watts = amps x volts. The charger will be limited to 32a

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no known link or reason for Octopus to cause this. Any of the following could contribute
  • So 4 hours @ cir 6.5kWh is 26kWh, your battery is 64kWh so would need 3 nights of Go to get from 0% up to 100% , each night giving you cir 40%. So not far off your 30%
  • car slowing down the rate, normaly experianced in the last 10%
  • supply load CT, ie what else is on in the house at the same time? Have you electric storage heaters? Eg you have a 60Amp incoming fuse, car wants 32, other loads add up to another 50Amps, it will reduce the car charge rate to 10Amps to prevent blowing the fuse.
  • car in sensing a drop in voltage, possibly a poor electrical connection, so reduces the load to reduce the chance of severely overheated electrics. (Most likely, try another type2 cable, thermal infrared camera is a sure and quick way for an electrician to check this out)
  • local power provider , DNO doesn’t have enough local supply so reduces everyones EV charges (highly unlikely at night and not even in active use yet).

So 4 hours @ cir 6.5kWh is 26kWh, your battery is 64kWh so would need 3 nights of Go to get from 0% up to 100% , each night giving you cir 40%. So not far off your 30% is the most likely.
Thanks @Jez48 for taking the time to reply: I'm not to worried as the 4 hour Octopus Go! slot is meeting my needs regardless of the exact charging rate.

Interestingly, when I wrote the original post, I was using the SyncEV to schedule the timing. Last night I switched the SyncEV into "dumb" mode and scheduled the charge using the car's software: and I seemed to get faster charging/more % added to the battery. But I am sure this is my imagination!

Incidentally, for those new to scheduled charging for a Hyundai Kona EV, if you use the car's software, you need to set the "departure time" to 0430 (hat tip to @Bomorse). Even if you have selected "off peak hours only", if you set the departure time to (say) 0700, the car won't wake up and start charging at 0030. It only starts charging if you "nudge" the software by going into the scheduling settings in the BlueLink app: if you do this, the Kona starts charging. Weird....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine does forget to charge sometimes so I always make sure it's started via the Bluelink app.
I find it's most reliable to set the entire thing up in the car on the screen. Doing it on the Bluelink app or even both seems to confuse it sometimes. In general though it is reliable.

Since I've switched to Octopus Go I've saved about £60-£80 a month! Less than a fiver for a full "tank" 😍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts