Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was descending a 1 in 5 hill near my home (Tekna 40KW Leaf), and I had engaged "B Mode" along with "EPedal". After about 700 meters down the hill, I noticed that there seemed to be no regenerative feed showing on the instrument panel (which I was expecting to see) when very suddenly, the car seemed to stall and come to a very brisk emergency stop from approximately 30 MPH.

Immediately a large white square showed on the panel adjacent to the speedometer with "SYSTEM FAULT".

Fortunatly, the car behind me was a sufficient distance not to go straight into our backside, and I decided to turn the car off in the middle of the road.

It started up again after this debacle perfectly normally and the rest of our journey was completed with no other problems.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Should I report this to Nissan or my dealer?

The battery level at the time was 86%, I was not using the brake, just relying on EPedal. Total milage 116 (new car 1 week old).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You should report it to your dealer who must take the car in and interrogate the brains see what was at fault.

·
Registered
162 Posts
4EB31A4E-007A-43F5-A82C-096DA84E2B03.jpeg
Same system error fault in my 800 ml Tekna. Started yesterday and is intermittent. Car drives normally otherwise. Am I right in thinking that the image (see above) means that the emergency braking system has been disabled and therefore sudden unforeseen stopping should not occur?

·
Registered
444 Posts
View attachment 98529 Same system error fault in my 800 ml Tekna. Started yesterday and is intermittent. Car drives normally otherwise. Am I right in thinking that the image (see above) means that the emergency braking system has been disabled and therefore sudden unforeseen stopping should not occur?
Hi Ajc so did you car suddenly stop as described by the OP?
I too have read about the front collision sensor/radar needing to be replaced on quite a few new leafs (was hoping the delay in getting our cars was due to them being replaced before delivery).

So to both the OP and Ajc have you reported this and do you have an ETA for a fix and do you have to go to a special dealer to get it fixed? Sorry that this has happened. It's very concerning specially as other drivers could end up ploughing right into you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Ajc so did you car suddenly stop as described by the OP?
I too have read about the front collision sensor/radar needing to be replaced on quite a few new leafs (was hoping the delay in getting our cars was due to them being replaced before delivery).

So to both the OP and Ajc have you reported this and do you have an ETA for a fix and do you have to go to a special dealer to get it fixed? Sorry that this has happened. It's very concerning specially as other drivers could end up ploughing right into you.
Hi John and George
Have not tried activating cruise control yet (most driving so far has been mixed rural) and have not (yet) experienced any sudden braking/stops. Local dealer offered next Tues (cannot do) so booked in following Tues. But this will probably just confirm that new front sensor is needed and will require ordering etc. Apart from this I’m very pleased with the car which is a delight to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morning Guys,

I'm pleased to report that I had a call from my dealer just over two weeks ago to say that the part had arrived, and they replaced the part exactly two weeks ago. When I asked what part it was, I was told it was the "front sensor". I said it must have been a very expensive part to replace (thinking it was a radar sensor), but they said it was about £140 plus fitting...of course, free under warranty for me!

Anyway, I've had no further problems to date, but will certainly let you know if I have any more.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Three days now with no recurrence of the system warning. Does anyone know how long it takes them to download the error messages? I’m reluctant to leave the car for a full day for them simply to ascertain that a front sensor needs to be ordered then fitted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I experienced a less severe but possibly related issue today with about 500 miles on the clock: autobrake (or whatever it's called) activating when it really shouldn't have.

Driving along at 30mph on a straight road in a very typical urban situation - one car to the left waiting to turn out onto the road I was already on, and another in the oncoming lane to my right waiting to turn across my lane after I passed. Neither of them were moving forward, nor were they sticking out into my lane. The clearance wasn't vast but I must have had about half a metre on either side. The Leaf suddenly applied the brakes quite hard and lit up the emergency stop symbol, but stopped before bringing me to a complete halt. Car behind ended up quite close to me.

I've had the same feature on my Skoda for 20k+ miles and while it's occasionally activated when not needed if I've been braking late into a junction, it's never done so in the situation above. I hope this isn't a faulty sensor.

·
White N-Connecta 40kW Leaf
29 Posts
Sounds like it could be the same or related problem a number of us have experienced. Each time it seems to be associated with the front radar sensor. Nissan know all about it now so there is no reason for you not to get it checked and rectified in a timely manner. If you look at the related thread I think you will come to the right conclusion.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I doubt if it's related but I have had experiences when on ProPilot, and a car in front is leaving the dual carriageway at an exit, then brakes to take the upcoming corner when it's already to the left of my lane. My car has also braked, thinking that the exiting car is ahead of me. It's pretty annoying, but not dangerous since a quick foot down on the accelerator sorts it out.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This is a quote from the manual

“The approach warning chime may sound and the system display may flash when the radar sensor detects objects on the side of the vehicle or on the side of the road. This may cause the ICC system to decelerate or accelerate the vehicle. The radar sensor may detect these objects when the vehicle is driven on winding, narrow, or hilly roads or when the vehicle is entering or exiting a curve. In these cases, you will have to manually control the proper distance ahead of your vehicle.”

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I wonder if there will be a general recall for early Leaf 40s. Sounds like this issue is happening enough that they should think about it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a quote from the manual

“The approach warning chime may sound and the system display may flash when the radar sensor detects objects on the side of the vehicle or on the side of the road. This may cause the ICC system to decelerate or accelerate the vehicle. The radar sensor may detect these objects when the vehicle is driven on winding, narrow, or hilly roads or when the vehicle is entering or exiting a curve. In these cases, you will have to manually control the proper distance ahead of your vehicle.”
For ICC that's reasonable. My experience was the emergency brake system under normal driving though, which I'd expect to be far less 'aggressive' in its intervention. I got the impression that most other posters here were in the same situation, though I may be wrong - one or two people did mention ICC.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Then there is this for IEB...

“When driving on some roads, such as wind- ing, hilly, curved, narrow roads, or roads which are under construction, the sensor may detect vehicles in a different lane, or may temporarily not detect a vehicle travelling ahead. This may cause the system to work inappropriately.
The detection of vehicles may also be affected by vehicle operation (steering manoeuvre or travelling position in the lane, etc.) or vehicle condition. If this occurs, the system may warn you by blinking the system indicator and sounding the chime unexpectedly. You will have to manually control the proper dis- tance to the vehicle travelling ahead.”

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fair enough - but the system working inappropriately is exactly what concerns us ;)

There is obviously a tradeoff to be had between being too sensitive and being useless, but as mentioned I felt my Skoda achieved that much better. It did slow me now and then when moving rapidly toward traffic in front, but never once was it thrown off by stationary traffic to the sides. I'm worried that the Leaf slamming on the brakes could potentially cause a car behind to rear end me one day, because unfortunately most people drive closer than they should.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday with car braking for no reason and flashed up warning on dash. I did call Nissan assistance but when I got home I found a small seed stuck to one of the sensors although seed thing was moving around a little so this may have affected the sensor. Thinking about it I may have been overzealous with waxing front bumper, so I rinsed bumper yesterday and will monitor. Have cancelled dealer visit for now as I would need to arrange hire car so need to know if there is a fault before going to the hassle of being without the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts