Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I turned on the LEAF and was greeted with a message saying "System Fault".

The emergency breaking system isn't working and the active cruise control also doesn't work.

The warning message is intermittent and doesn't always come one.

When the message is visible one cruise control down right refuses to turn on (yellow car symbol and annoying beeping)

When the message doesn't appear, cruise control will work and It will let me set a speed and a "distance" to follow, however no cars show up in front on my LEAF on the display and it will not slow down when other cars do.

I cleaned the LEAF this morning just to make sure there wasn't any dirt around the sensor in the grille, but it still isn't working. It rained last night, which may have caused the fault. (maybe water got into an area where it shouldn't have?)

I will be taking the LEAF to my Nissan dealer first thing Monday morning where they can hopefully do a diagnostic check and just confirm that the sensor is faulty and order a replacement.

// I have only had this car for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did a quick trip to the shops in the LEAF today. No warning message and the cruise control was partially successful.

It was able to follow a taxi in front of me (slow down when it did), however when the taxi turned into a side road, the leaf didn't speed up, instead just disengaged the cruise control.

Definitely seems like there is something wrong with the front sensors.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
// I have only had this car for 3 weeks.
That is when you'd expect to have faults - early life/infant mortality failures are statistically (relatively) common.

Light bulbs with 1000 hour life were turned on and run round a carousel for a few tens of seconds - those that were still lit get packed and shipped.

With semiconductors that have much more than a million hours life, the early life failure period (the steep bit at the front of a bathtub curve) is similarly longer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the LEAF in this morning for a quick diagnostic check. There are a number or faults showing including the distance sensors.

They need the car for a full day to fully go over everything and check what part(s) is faulty. Booked in for next wednesday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just got a call from the garage.

Faulty part is the distance sensor.

New part has been ordered with the aim of getting my car back with the sensor replaced on Friday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sensor has been replaced. They need to get the machine in to calibrate the sensor, so I have to wait until Tuesday to get my LEAF back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the LEAF back today. Took 2 days longer than expected because the calibration computer kept failing. It required software patches, but it worked in the end.

Just out of interest, I asked how much this would have cost had the LEAF not had warranty... about £300!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts