Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@CYC

I was at the Wray Lane charger above Reigate just off the M25 yesterday, and noticed that the option to charge from the T2 connector was labelled "blocked" on the display.

I assume that the T2 connector has been deliberately dis-abled?

I was just wondering what the reasons are?

I can imagine that cars charging at rates of 3.5KW to 11KW from this AC connector may be causing the "Rapid" to be blocked by slow charging cars taking a long time to accumulate some miles, but was hoping you could give us some more info?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,406 Posts
EH used similar shameful tactics to stop thriev taxis, anyone with an AC charging car was caught in the crossfire. :(

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,703 Posts
EH used similar shameful tactics to stop thriev taxis, anyone with an AC charging car was caught in the crossfire. :(
I do in a way kind of wish that Renault had just put CHAdeMo or even CCS on the Zoe...Having Type 2 rapid charging makes so many things potentially so awkward :(

At the time it probably seemed like a nice neat idea, and I suppose the potential issues couldn't be foreseen...

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
On the other hand in other European countries where 3 phase 11 and 22kW posts are as common as 7kW it's really handy, makes my trips to Ireland easy once I'm off the ferry.

Rumours have started again that Renault may move to CCS for 2018, rapid DC and 22kW AC would make the Zoe a real Swiss army knife when it came to charging.

·
2,703 Posts
On the other hand in other European countries where 3 phase 11 and 22kW posts are as common as 7kW it's really handy, makes my trips to Ireland easy once I'm off the ferry.

Rumours have started again that Renault may move to CCS for 2018, rapid DC and 22kW AC would make the Zoe a real Swiss army knife when it came to charging.
22kW charging is fine, that doesn't need to hold up a 50kW post and still takes a decent amount of time.

Really, I'd like to see the standard become 22kW AC with CHAdeMo DC, but I'll take CCS if needs be.

That sadly doesn't change the fact that Renault including 43kW AC Type 2 has meant that all of the rapid chargers had to be fitted with standard Type 2, which has opened them up to a whole world of misuse potential that couldn't have been envisaged at the time, including PHEVs and those horrible taxis with enormous batteries that don't rapid charge! Had they gone for a DC standard, 22kW Type 2 could be happily rolled out in more places and rapid chargers would be much harder to abuse.

·
Super Moderator
12,296 Posts
Really, I'd like to see the standard become 22kW AC

The 2018 LEAF might have Type-2 AC at 11kW and CHAdeMO. Some of the spy shots look like the car has both connectors but that could just be an engineering one off.

If LEAF changed to CCS that would be the tipping point. CHAdeMO would be the Betamax.

·
2,703 Posts
The 2018 LEAF might have Type-2 AC at 11kW and CHAdeMO. Some of the spy shots look like the car has both connectors but that could just be an engineering one off.

If LEAF changed to CCS that would be the tipping point. CHAdeMO would be the Betamax.
I think that would be absolutely ideal, best of both worlds situation given how poorly CCS is supported by the networks at the moment.

It would be expensive, but not impossible, to have 11kW AC, CCS and CHAdeMo on one vehicle, wouldn't it? Crazy but not impossible...

·
Super Moderator
12,296 Posts
It would be expensive, but not impossible, to have 11kW AC, CCS and CHAdeMo on one vehicle, wouldn't it?
It could be done. I'd be surprised to see it happen though. They can't just wire the two connectors in parallel.

Much more likely that we will see more triple head rapids .

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
@CYC

I was at the Wray Lane charger above Reigate just off the M25 yesterday, and noticed that the option to charge from the T2 connector was labelled "blocked" on the display.

I assume that the T2 connector has been deliberately dis-abled?

I was just wondering what the reasons are?

I can imagine that cars charging at rates of 3.5KW to 11KW from this AC connector may be causing the "Rapid" to be blocked by slow charging cars taking a long time to accumulate some miles, but was hoping you could give us some more info?
Funny it was the CCS connecting that was blocked Monday morning. Maybe they are having power issues? Two CCS chargers out of commission Monday night returning from surrey. Didn't get on a (luckily free) rapid until Watford!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts