Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
HI, I've noticed that my struts are starting to fail - not always, but when they do, my head suffers!

Looking for OEM parts in the UK (23282827 & 23282828) seem to be all out of stock - the ones I found in US for a reasonable $45 a pair charged $145 for shipping!!

Has anyone else bought a pair recently - if so, where from?

Otherwise, I could buy some adjustable ones, which would allow me to compensate for the weight of the VoltShelf - if anyone knows the force (Newtons) the originals came with?

(BTW @HandyAndy, I'm trying not to use your safety strut, no matter how brilliant an idea it is....!! My wife would like to be able to raise the tailgate easier - so the struts still have to be replaced)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
This ancient thread is about a recall for 1st Gen Amperas/Volts.

Once replaced, they are not known to be weak.

If you are talking about a 1st Gen Ampera/Volt then go to your dealer, your car may have missed a recall notice and you get them for free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Donald, but no - I've done all that - and reading the threads in the US forums, the replacement ones fail to lift - the recall was because the fixings broke on the original ones. Unfortunately mine are the former!

So my questions still remain!!

If no-one has done this before, I'll experiment with a few off the shelf ones, and report back if I find a solution.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,041 Posts
If you still can't get any luck with the dealership you could try here. Although the Ampera is not listed I am confident that they can supply near enough the equivalent or even slightly stronger to take into account the extra weight of the shelf.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stuts deliverd and fitted great - no more sore heads!! As I thought, no reason for different part nos - you just twist the stem to change the hand. Perhaps GM bean counters worked out that that saving the action took another few seconds off the assembly time?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts