Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a change from my current Discovery-3 in some ways, though not so big in others.

Found this forum while browsing for information about home charging stations - lots of useful info. here, looking forward to being able to add some myself!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Welcome, it does seem there are a lot of new members coming here due to the outlander PHEV. It must be down to the excellent commercial that's on the TV quite often and in the national papers most days.

As soon as you emphasise the fact that a big car like the outlander can achieve 148mpg it certainly grabs peoples attention.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Be interested to know all the directions these phevs are coming from. We have bee told first delivery week beginning 20th and we are in Dorset. Car coming into Bristol via suez at present. Will be down garage this weekend to finish paperwork so I will check up. They have a demonstrater so photo requests? Clothes on only.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome, it does seem there are a lot of new members coming here due to the outlander PHEV.
I agree, it's how I found this forum. It's the first time that I've seen a car has got publicity that appeals to those that need a bigger capacity and for not a massive price increase. I'm looking forward to getting mine, whenever that is!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I first heard about the PHEV on my regular Discovery-3 forum, well before the TV campaign started! I think there's a few LR owners like me starting to tire of weekly £100+ fill-ups...

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
If we were buying an EV today I think the Outlander would be top of my list, the only have two issues with the Volt are, I would like a longe electric range and fast charging.
The Outlander has a smaller range but because of the fast charging that might not matter. On a longer journey of say 150 miles plus I would drive 45ish miles in the Volt then the remainder petrol. In the Outlander 30ish miles on electric 70miles petrol, stop for a pee/coffee and charge 30ish miles again then 20 miles petrol. 60 miles not 45………..
My wife runs health and safety courses all over the country and is quite regurally over 150 miles from home and put up in hotels with no charging. With the Volt that is only ever 45 miles electric for 300 miles return, the Outlander could be more like 120 miles on a 300 mile return.

Wonder how much change there is down the back of the sofa:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Again it would be interesting to find out what sort of MPG the Outlander PHEV can achieve once the battery is depleted. It must be around the 45mpg mark?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my test drive I achieved an indicated 52.1mpg having started with c.25% charge and an indicated 5 mile EV range. This was over approx. 30 miles mixed driving including some dual carriageway. The car had just 4 miles on the clock when we set out so I reckon that figure is fairly representative of my test drive.

TBH I was pretty happy with that :)

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
On my test drive I achieved an indicated 52.1mpg having started with c.25% charge and an indicated 5 mile EV range. This was over approx. 30 miles mixed driving including some dual carriageway. The car had just 4 miles on the clock when we set out so I reckon that figure is fairly representative of my test drive.

TBH I was pretty happy with that :)

Was that actual MPG or combined electric/petrol MPG

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
That's quite good. Being a hybrid essentially when the battery is depleted, it still recharges the battery when regen braking so 50mpg is quite achievable I would have thought.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Press release states 512 miles range - 32 electric / 10 gallon tank = 48 mpg. Very good for a 4x4

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was that actual MPG or combined electric/petrol MPG
Don't know for sure I'm afraid as I only had an hour and a half in the vehicle so didn't have time to play with all the toys.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Bit of a change from my current Discovery-3 in some ways, though not so big in others.

Found this forum while browsing for information about home charging stations - lots of useful info. here, looking forward to being able to add some myself!
Wow, next week isn't long to wait. @Maddog when did you order? Sounds like you will be one of the first of the great unwashed to get your PHEV. Mines not far behind, scheduled for 26th, although it's currently just down the road in Portbury dock!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Shame about the advert pushing the old road tax misnomer though.
You say that, but when people ask me about my LEAF they are amazed that I don't pay any road tax. It really is a big selling point for some people not paying that £200+ for road tax - especially if you are coming from a Land Rover Discovery like @Maddog.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tax isn't as big a factor as it used to be (IMHO) as there are so many levels.

A relative has a 1.5l diesel and pays £20 a year!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts