Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's interesting how much we take the max-range of a EV so seriously -- I mean here go back 10years, did you (& me! ) examine in detail the max range of an ICE vehicle, and get furious if you didn't see that range on your cars' trip computer ---every single time you filled it up ?!?!
Did we complain that the Sainsburys' unleaded pumps gave out at 75% of the rate of the Shell down the road ?
Did we prompt that Essos' pumps were always the fastest to dispense fuel ?

ok yes comparing cost of fuel per unit was a lot easier in the old days as you drove past, and that supermarket own brand was always cheaper - those 2 values are lost when looking now at EV chargers, but then ZapMap and some homework gets you there.

I remember an Audi 100 advert promoting it would do over 1000km equiv on a full tank, but I didn't recall people complaining to motoring rags that they were not getting anywhere near it - well before T'internet + forums of course.

I just find itinteresting how focused we are now on getting exactly X time and time again.
And, I'm perfectly guilty of this, getting my PHEV Golf on the grounds I had a twice a day run that I thought was easy to do on one charge (27miles real vs "up top 31 miles" of the brochure). In the end by changing route to a slower 22mile route then 95% of the year it worked out ok.
And now, getting nerdy about checking the Kona's theory range when full display and worrying when it drops below 300.

I think it's because with an ICE, re-fuelling was consistently available, fast and we didn't really worry about it --- and probably because we didn't all re fuel to totally full every time - so didn't see a max range value regardless of % full.
Now with an EV refuelling is a gamble of availability( no one else there, and it works when you try it ) , unless you are near a mega-point place, or lucky to have home charging.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
I mean here go back 10years, did you (& me! ) examine in detail the max range of an ICE vehicle, and get furious if you didn't see that range on your cars' trip computer ---every single time you filled it up ?!?!
but I didn't recall people complaining to motoring rags that they were not getting anywhere near it
Strangely (sadly?), some people did. I think that in the olden days things weren't so accurate. Nowadays, if it isn't within 1% we start to get aggravated :eek::eek:o_Oo_O.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,503 Posts
I think the early short range might have something to do with it during early days. If you only have 80 miles to play with......

But with 200+ miles range, it's no longer a problem. But unfortunately "range anxiety" coined by Big Oil still persist in people's mind. And people who haven't lived with EV use their old "I can do 600 miles in my diesel" as yard stick.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Here’s a thought. EV owners complain about the trivial stuff like range/charge time because that’s the only thing we can think of as ‘problems’. EVs are so much better all round than ICE vehicles that we have to find something to complain about. BTW, my range economy has dropped from 3.9 to 3.7 this week due to the colder weather. I wonder if I should start a complainey thread? Lol.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
BTW, my range economy has dropped from 3.9 to 3.7 this week due to the colder weather. I wonder if I should start a complainey thread? Lol.
I have noticed a similar drop too! I think that Boris is selling watered down electricity to stop us travelling as far in Lockdown, and that his Chums are raking in all of the stolen electrons. ;) :devilish:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Having owned two ICE cars with around 200 mile range and some limits on fuel type I can say that I often had some element of range anxiety particularly away from motorways at night.
The issue is with 100 mile range cars is that it is like driving an ICE car with the needle below one quarter tank, you are watching it and planing the refuel all the time.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
Having owned two ICE cars with around 200 mile range and some limits on fuel type I can say that I often had some element of range anxiety particularly away from motorways at night.
I'm with you - try doing an overnight competitive rally in an ICE with less than 100 miles range - you daren't slow down but everywhere appears closed so it is more hope than expectation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's pretty simple: charging an EV is a much bigger job than filling the tank in an ICE vehicle. 200 miles of range is plenty enough for most journeys, but '200 miles of range' isn't really 200 miles of range as many new e-208 drivers are discovering.

While the GOM in a Leaf 40 will say 200 the first time you turn it on in eco mode, if you drive at 70 in the rain with the heating on then you'd be lucky to get 130 miles. Then you have to find a working rapid charger if you want to continue your journey so you have to keep 10% in reserve. After charging to 80% then you might have enough to do another 90 miles to your 10% buffer; then rinse and repeat every 90 miles.

It's not a problem if you're starting from 100% and travelling a short distance, but if you're driving closer to the limit then it requires plenty of careful planning. It only gets worse with battery degradation as the range slowly reduces.

The lower the range of the vehicle, the greater the challenge to travel a particular distance. A 20% increase in battery capacity could be a 50% reduction in the amount of charging away from home. It's entirely understandable that people obsess about it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it's because it was such a limiting factor at the start that it's more under the microscope than it should be.

If the first Leaf had a 300 mile range we wouldn't be having these conversations, because it has been a slow movement to range parity it has been intently scrutinised, the conversation will eventually move to "it takes less time to put fuel in my car" and when we have 20% to 80% in a few minutes it'll move on to something else. It's people picking holes for the sake of picking holes because they feel like the Government is going to steal their ICE car at midnight on 31/12/29.

It is also normalised in combustion cars because they've literally been around for 100 years, I have no idea what the total range of my old Vauxhall was, I never let it fall below 1/4 of a fuel tank anyway...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,165 Posts
Indeed yes, range of an ICE was equally an issue some years ago. I once worked 10miles from home down some great rural roads, I used to drive my classic mini daily, but when my commute turned into a 100mile round trip the 200mile range of the petrol tank and the poor noise suppression and low mpg at motorway speeds meant I constantly had range anxiety on the second day after filling up or found I was filling up every day which was annoying. I then spent time researching the cheapest/quietest/best ranged Diesel in my budget.

Honestly people are no more hung up about range, charging speed etc now than they ever were.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm with you - try doing an overnight competitive rally in an ICE with less than 100 miles range - you daren't slow down but everywhere appears closed so it is more hope than expectation.
Strangely enough that is exactly what I was thinking of. I did the Circuit of Ireland Retrospective in a GT6, late night stages in the middle of nowhere and it didn't like low octane unleaded petrol.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
20 years ago I had a MK1 Ford Fiesta XR2 with twin carbs and a very small 34L fuel tank, lucky to get more than 240 miles of range, used to stop for petrol every three days bit like charging the Zoe twice a week pre-lockdown.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
34L? Eeee, thee were lucky! All us 'ad were 6 gallon in t' illman Imp, that's 27L to a young whippersnapper like thee, and don't thee mention Rapidgate! When t'engine were 'ot, were a booger to start agin, 'ad ter lift boot lid and piss on t'carburettor ter stop petrol evaperaytin' faster than t' pump could pump it in!

And then there were t' day t' missus lifted boot lid ter fill wi' petrol, saw round cap, opened it, and filled it t' brim. Only truble were, she'd filled t' rocker coover!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts