Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months I have been taking stock of my opinions of the Vauxhall Ampera and I believe I am coming to the conclusion that it isn't the car for me.

Don't get me wrong... there is a lot to like about the Ampera and in particular the Voltec Drive System and styling. However, for me a car and I need to "gel" (whatever than means) and I don't feel that we have gelled.

The owner experience for me has been tinged with disappointment at almost every turn. The software looks good until you start to use it. The car looks well made until you own it for a few months. Overall, I feel that what with the massive issues I have with the software and SatNav I am finding myself disappointed everytime I drive it... and for a £34K spend that is hugely frustrating.

The car isn't yet up for sale but I am now starting to look at what I might get as a replacement. It won't be a plug in hybrid, unless I like the Volvo V60 as that looks like the only other possibility athat comes remotely close to offering a similar type of facility... e.g. EREV. I would like it to have a decent boot capacity, which is another disappointemt of the Ampera, as I have a hooby that needs me to transport largish items (model aircraft).

So there you are. Just thought I would let you all know what I am currently thinking regarding the Ampera although no decisions have yet been made I will be discussing this with SWMBO over the next few days.

If there is anyone who wants a 9 month old Ampera with about 9000 miles on the clock then get in touch...

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I know a couple of people that want to buy one at the right price.

As a replacement, have you seen the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV? It's a 4x4 with about 25 miles electric range. Due out mid year.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David.

I hadn't considered the Mitsubishi but I will now. ta.

We haven't fully decided to sell yet but we are certainly looking at that as an option. It is expensive to change a car in the first year but I might do it for the right replacement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Paul,

There is a person here in California that had an accident with his Volt about 6 months ago and decided to sell it after it was repaired. What he has done is list it and reslist it for the last 4 months at the same price and just continue to drive it. Since his first listing he has probably put another 6,000 miles on the Volt. He won't come down on his price; he just keeps using it while waiting for a buyer. Perhaps this approach might meet your current feelings regarding the Ampera.

Ross

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks REB.

That approach woldn't work for me. If I am going to sell I will want to get rid of it and get the new one asap. If I am prepared to keep it until I get a buyer at the right price then I probably wouldn't be selling it at all.

Just me I suppose. :)

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Hi Paul C

I'm really sorry to hear you haven't bonded with your Ampera.

I've had a lot of nice cars over the years; some had more gadgets than the Ampera, others have been faster and a few have handled better. But, overall, it is the best car I've owned and I'm very, very pleased with it.

You say your next car won't be a plug-in, so I guess you have ruled out the Prius plug-in? Can I ask why? I am sure you would not get the quality issues you have experienced with your Ampera and my experience of Toyota dealers (I had a Toyota as a second 'practical' car for 10 years) is that they are very good. Also, the Touch & Go Pro tech on Prius plug-in looks in a different league to the Ampera...

Kind Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, talking to my wife today it might be a plug in providing it can tow and that will be the deciding factor for me. That is why at the moment it is the Volvo V60 or possible the Mitsubishi Outlander (assuming that can tow).

I would never have a Prius. I have heard so many reports about rubbish mileage (mpg) from the non-plug in and I assume that will carry forward to the plug in. Also, what use is 12-15 miles of plug-in range? I couldn't even get to Plymouth and back without using petrol. No, whatever I get I have ruled out the Prius. Having said that I like Toyotas. Our previous car prior to getting the Leaf was a Yaris and that was our 3rd! I have also had a Celica which I loved and I would have one again if I could get one in good nick should I ever want a petrol sporty hatch again.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
taylorgx said:
Hi Paul,
I am sorry you have not bonded with your Ampera and looking to sell, I can only empathise with some of your frustrations, just hope you continue to continue to post on the forum.
Thanks for that Gary... but I haven't yet decided to sell... just thinking about it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts