Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to take advantage of the really good incentives for running an EV as a company car and arrange a lease for an ID.3 next week. I’ve decided on the Max spec as that is the only one with the dynamic chassis control as standard, and well, I do like my gadgets.

The only choice I have to make really is the colour. Metallic paint is extra, just like in real life, but as the car will never be mine I don’t know if I want to be paying an extra £15 per month just for paint. My first thoughts about the Moonstone Grey free colour was that it didn’t look very good, but I was watching the CarWow video on YouTube earlier where he runs an ID.3 until it stops, and the one he had in Moonstone didn’t look so bad.

Has anyone here got one in Moonstone and did they regret it or are really pleased?

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
I get what you mean. I'm >< this close to taking the plunge too- thinking Makena Turquoise personally. I'm not a fan of the flat Moonstone grey personally. I've only seen it on an ID.3 in the dark, but I've seen it on Golfs in proper daylight and I'm not too keen.

But with colour, it's a personal opinion. Some people will hate Makena Turquoise which I think is great. I think on the 1st Edition, with alloys and the silver strip, the grey looks OK, a lot better than on the more basic cars, but I'm still not a massive fan (Sorry @scott28tt !) I kind of feel like it's there to encourage you to pay the extra for the metallics...

Although it's a lot better than the Urano Grey some other VWs have as the 'free' colour, which really looks dull even when clean on a bright day.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My last two cars have been white and I’m keen to move away from having a car that always looks grubby. Is the basic grey as good as metallic silver for not showing the dirt?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dunno if this helps but here is a cluster of iD3 together in assorted colours with no photoshop or creative photography. I paid extra for turquoise and love it. I think the grey just looks like primer...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean about the “primer” look. My other concern is that they are essentially the same colour as the road so it’s almost like driving a camouflaged car. The Turquoise is one of the metallic options available to me. The other is the dark grey which looks almost black to me.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
I have a T6 in pure grey, looks similar to the primer grey above and it looks great, plenty of people comment positively.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
187 Posts
I do, and I like it.
I have white but I think looks really good in Moonstone Grey especially with the silver decals. MG is one of the few colours where I think the silver decals enhance the colour. But then decals are extra as well (apart from 1st ed) so for series models you could choose a metallic paint instead for similar cost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The decals have the extra of changing the wheel trims if you don't get the alloys.

·
Registered
BMW i3
414 Posts
I have white but I think looks really good in Moonstone Grey especially with the silver decals. MG is one of the few colours where I think the silver decals enhance the colour. But then decals are extra as well (apart from 1st ed) so for series models you could choose a metallic paint instead for similar cost.
For me the flat grey also needs the alloys to liven it up.

White and black are too tricky to keep clean (and as mentioned the grey is almost black), so that leaves silver and turquoise.

I concluded I’d go for silver, bit boring but does bring out more of the detail on the ID.3 shape.

·
Registered
ID.3 Tour
612 Posts
If you tick turquoise be sure you're leasing it

(dodgy launch colours also for folks who keep the car until the wheels fall off...)
Usually I would agree, however at the moment the whole of the VAG group only really offer 50 shades of grey, black, white or if you are lucky one proper colour, which in this case is the Makena Turquoise.

I genuinely feel all the 'colours' like Moonstone Grey will date quite quickly and become a 'fad' colour.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you tick turquoise be sure you're leasing it

(dodgy launch colours also for folks who keep the car until the wheels fall off...)
I think you’re wrong on this one - typically with VW it is the ‘signature’ colours (i.e. the colour used primarily for the marketing etc.) that get sought out on the second hand market - and that’s Makena Turquoise in the case of the ID.3. Chatting to our friend that works at the local dealership he was saying it’s popular too - lots of ‘primer’ comments from potential customers about the light grey apparently (although personally I do like that grey) - and the other choices are basically black or white....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've got white, and I'm 90% sure that's the best colour due to the contrast with the black bits. But about 10% of me thinks the stonewashed blue is the best colour and has a mini-panic attack that I bought the wrong colour every time I walk past my VW dealership on my daily lockdown exercise walk :LOL:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stonewashed Blue is good too. I'd like the more navy blue on the ID.4 to be available. Seat's excellent 'Desire Red' which I've got on my current car would look good too, or something similar.

You're right about VW's current colours though @E-Gizmo. The range of options is quite small on a number of cars- 6 on the ID.3 and ID.4, and where there are more options, like the 10 on the normal Golf, several are very similar. The Golf's 10 includes two whites and 3 greys (4 if you include silver). And then sometimes certain trim levels are even more restricted- the new Golf R for example has only 3 colour options- black, white, and blue.

Lots of cars seem to have a bright interesting shade for the marketing, and then everything else is shades of grey.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got white, and I'm 90% sure that's the best colour due to the contrast with the black bits. But about 10% of me thinks the stonewashed blue is the best colour and has a mini-panic attack that I bought the wrong colour every time I walk past my VW dealership on my daily lockdown exercise walk :LOL:
Just to reassure you, Stonewashed Blue is definitely the best colour ;)

What do you mean justifying my own choice!

I agree with @vc-10, the choice isn't great. I wanted metallic paint, but didn't want white or black and wasn't that keen on silver, turquoise is a bit too garish for me. So it was Stonewashed Blue by process of elimination. I'd probably have gone for the navy blue were it available on the ID.3.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,043 Posts
Usually I would agree, however at the moment the whole of the VAG group only really offer 50 shades of grey, black, white or if you are lucky one proper colour, which in this case is the Makena Turquoise.

I genuinely feel all the 'colours' like Moonstone Grey will date quite quickly and become a 'fad' colour.
I agree colours have become inoffensive shades of dull regardless of manufacturer... but in the case of the ID.3 there is stonewash blue.

It might well be that the turquoise lasts past launch phase, where its standout colour suits the design of the car, but it's still the box your spinster aunt ticked for her Suzuki Splash.

Can't help thinking the VW paint chefs were reading too much into the following:
The world’s favourite colour revealed | Creative Bloq

1 - 20 of 43 Posts