Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be travelling down to Colwyn Bay in the next few weeks from Lancashire, anyone used the Engenie rapid charger at the Talardy Hotel St. Asaph? Or can recommend any other chargers in the area. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
I will probably try it next week as likely to be going to St Asaph and then Conwy. We were going to use it on our last trip to North Wales and charge over breakfast, but were told on phone "breakfast is for guests only", so carried on to Bangor. This time it will be around 11am so hopefully they will sell me a coffee?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably try it next week as likely to be going to St Asaph and then Conwy. We were going to use it on our last trip to North Wales and charge over breakfast, but were told on phone "breakfast is for guests only", so carried on to Bangor. This time it will be around 11am so hopefully they will sell me a coffee?
Thanks for your reply let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I will be travelling down to Colwyn Bay in the next few weeks from Lancashire, anyone used the Engenie rapid charger at the Talardy Hotel St. Asaph? Or can recommend any other chargers in the area. Thanks.
Just to say, that I have made a quick "Pit Stop" into the Talardy Hotel to check out the rapid charger a few weeks ago.
I did not require any juice at the time, but wanted to see the set up there.
It's a Marston's hotel / pub that is right on the corner of a round about.
When you leave the A55, you will take a steep down hill slip road, when you enter the roundabout at the bottom, it is the third turning on your left hand side.
As soon as you drive under the A55 express way above you, start indicating left !.
You will see the hotel tucked into the corner, it is built right on the corner of the roundabout.
As you pass the hotel on your left, you will see the opening to the car park on your left hand side.
As you enter the car park, the rapid is directly on your left !.
It is in a good spot, because it is at the bottom of the car park.
Most people want to get parked right by the door to the pub / hotel.
It's very short 2 min walk into the pub.
It has a contact payment system on the unit if I remember correctly.
I also applied for an RFID card for use at other units.
I think it was £10 and it arrived in about 3 - 4 days.
There is also a Ecotricity rapid on BOTH sides of the A55 only a few miles further along the A55.
They are both in the service / petrol area's on either side of the A55 express way.
It will be just before the Abergele exit, when traveling DOWN to the N Wales coast.
I am pretty sure it's a SHELL station up on the left hand side of the A55.
When you have passed the exit for Bodelwyddan Castle / Glan Clwyd hospital A&E on your left, you only have about 1 - 2 miles to travel before you see the Shell garage elevated up off the express way.
To use the Ecoctricity rapid on the return journey, it will be the services straight AFTER the Abergele exit.
The charger is right by the Starbucks.
I am not 100% sure, but I think it is an Esso station ?.
Both services have the same post codes of :- LL18 5XW.
They are almost directly opposite from each other on the express way.
I have never used them, so I am in no position to judge their reliability, sorry.
Hope this is of some help !.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
There's another Engenie charger installed at Ewloe, at the "Running Hare" pub, just before the A494 meets the A55

That's a "Great Shout" @WonkoTheSaneUK
I forgot about that one !.
Handy if you are running a bit lower on juice than you first though.
Then they could make this Option 1 on the hit list.
If for some reason THIS charger was out of order, but you did not have enough juice to make it to the Talardy.
There is a almost new Polar rapid charger been fitted only about 4 miles away from the "Running Hare".
Handy if you have the Polar Plus RFID card maybe ?.
It is located in the "Beaufort Park Hotel" car park.
You can clearly see from the screen shot below, that both the A55 expressway and the "Running Hare" location can be seen just to the right of the "Beaufort Park Hotel" charger.
To accessing this unit can be achieved by taking the slip road back onto the A55 from the "Running Hare".
You will be back on the A55 for only a couple of mins so stay in the left hand lane.
The first exit on your left is marked Chester / Wrexham DO NOT TAKE IT !.
Straight after this you will be offered a second exit marked as MOLD - TAKE THIS ONE !.
Now you have left the A55 on your right, carry on along this "A" road up a small incline.
at the top of the hill will be a set of traffic lights, continue for about 3 miles, until you reach a small roundabout with a SHELL garage on your right.
Continue straight ahead, and then look straight accross to you right.
Then, you will clearly see the hotel and it's car park.
At the traffic lights, turn right again and then almost hard right again straight into the car park.
The Polar charger is located on your left hand side.
You can't miss it.
Reverse your very same route back to the "Running Hare" and return back onto the A55 and continue back down the A55 express way missing the MOLD turn off this time !.

Beaufort Rapid 2 2020-01-29 at 20.33.09.png

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
In our experience.the EH rapids at Kimmel.Park West bound are temperamental on CCS. I charged the i3 there on Sunday and it worked but don't count on it.

Eastbound is reliable but awkward if you are heading west.

AC and CHAdeMO are ok in both directions.

Singing kettle worked the last time I tried it but I would not rely on it especially on CCS.

Bangor works but is way out of the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys, the Running Hare pub is also one I looked at as a second choice to the Talardy Hotel. Not having done any rapid charging before I wanted to be reasonably sure that I could get a charge. I should only need one charge in the journey there & back.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys, the Running Hare pub is also one I looked at as a second choice to the Talardy Hotel. Not having done any rapid charging before I wanted to be reasonably sure that I could get a charge. I should only need one charge in the journey there & back.
On the way down, you have 3 pretty good units to choose from until you pass the Talardy.
First option is the "Running Hare".
Then you have the 2 option with a small diversion to the Polar at the "Beaufort Park".
Option 3 is the rapid at the "Talardy".
You do have the 4th option of the Ecotricity after that of course, but it looks like the least favoured option by all accounts.
OBTW - There is two fast posts on the prom at Rhos - on - Sea ?.
Okay if they are vacant for a quick top up ?.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Tesla so have used superchargers but the Talardy Hotel was my first ever non Tesla rapid. Our daughter lives in Prestatyn so we stopped for lunch at the Talardy before visiting. The position is perfect for not getting blocked and the pub is welcoming and serves the standard pub fare food. I made an easy mistake with the charger as I had never used one before. The screen was on standby so had no idea you had to touch the screen to wake it up BEFORE you could remove the charging cable and start the charge.
I made a point of thanking the pub for installing the charger and they were pleased to hear feedback as they had installed the charger to attract customers.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
Not having done any rapid charging before
I suggest you do a trial run closer to home. There is a lot that can go wrong. Making sure you have a working app / account / whatever before you set off will improve the chances of the trip going smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
You do have the 4th option of the Ecotricity after that of course, but it looks like the least favoured option by all accounts.
Kinmel Park Eastbound is ok. I use this location fairly often and it has never failed. It is on free vend sometimes which can be confusing since the app won't connect. The Starbucks is a good place to sit and have a cuppa while the car charges.

No idea why the two Westbound units are temperamental and the Eastbound ones have been fine. All four units went in about the same time. It could just be chance ?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,331 Posts
I suggest you do a trial run closer to home. There is a lot that can go wrong. Making sure you have a working app / account / whatever before you set off will improve the chances of the trip going smoothly.
I have to pass the Running Hare twice a day on my commute, so that's what I'll be doing when my Zoe arrives! (y)

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
Thanks for your reply let me know how you get on.
My trip has been pushed back a week, but from posts above sounds like Talardy works OK and is good location in car park.

Over a few trips to North Wales in Zoes (22kWh and 40kWh) I have used all EH charging locations on A55. All worked fine, but AC is very simple - none of the incompatibilities you get with CCS... I don't like location in Singing Kettle (and only one rapid) so now avoid that one.

Thanks @Carty - I didn't know about the Polar at Beaufort Park and is cheaper on my subscription than other options, but is a bit off my usual route. I may do a short top up there as I leave North Wales on way to Doncaster.

Reactions: Carty and buzzer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take it the Talardy Hotel engenie charger is a contactless payment machine.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Thanks @Carty - I didn't know about the Polar at Beaufort Park and is cheaper on my subscription than other options, but is a bit off my usual route. I may do a short top up there as I leave North Wales on way to Doncaster.
Hi @proddick .
You are very welcome !.
I pass the Polar charger at the Beaufort Park almost every single day, sometimes twice or even three times a day.
It is used, but I would say it is vacant about 90% of the time that I pass.
Ideal if you have the Polar subscription.
The unit is only about 6 months old.
Travel time from leaving the A55 at the Mold exit ( heading towards the N.Wales coast ) is only about 5 - 6 mins !.
If you heading in the opposite direction ( away from N. Wales ) you have to leave at Ewloe exit ( for the Running Hare ) then drive under the A55 express way and then up the slip road to re-enter the A55 and leave at the second exit for Mold.
This will only add about 3 mins to the journey time to the Polar charger though.
If the charger at the Running Hare is either down / ICED or blocked by an EV just gone on charge, you can be at the Beaufort Park in less than 5 - 6 mins honestly.

Worth keeping in your memory bank, as a brilliant fall back plan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts