Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've pretty much decided it's time for a change. I've had my Leaf 30kWh for over 4 years now and it's been absolutely faultless, but as a family we need something with a bit more range and a bigger boot.

Obsessive caveman decision focus has whittled the options down to 2:

1. Ioniq 38kWh on PCH for 24 months to see what else is about (£1500 ish, £260 / month, will probably cover 99% of the long distance trips we do.
2. Go absolutely mental and take out a loan (3.3% APR) & use the proceeds from selling the Leaf to get a used Model S (#YOLO, etc) - £400/month, will definitely cover any journey we'd need to do.

Surprisingly enough, the woman in my life doesn't seem to be 100% against option 2; Admittedly, that could be because she likes the car, or it could be because she's simply fed up with talking about it, and she's resigned herself to my need to do something stupid every few years.

On my budget, it would be a private purchase on the Model S, so no warranty.

Am I mad to even be considering option 2?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not mad at all, I'm sure there's plenty of other options (awaits others to slate Tesla... :whistle:), but if it's what you want & you can do it, why not scratch that itch :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Option 3: wait a while longer, get a roof box?

2 is tempting but any big bills could cause a lot of stress if you haven’t lots of cash waiting to pay them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I've pretty much decided it's time for a change. I've had my Leaf 30kWh for over 4 years now and it's been absolutely faultless, but as a family we need something with a bit more range and a bigger boot.

Obsessive caveman decision focus has whittled the options down to 2:

1. Ioniq 38kWh on PCH for 24 months to see what else is about (£1500 ish, £260 / month, will probably cover 99% of the long distance trips we do.
2. Go absolutely mental and take out a loan (3.3% APR) & use the proceeds from selling the Leaf to get a used Model S (#YOLO, etc) - £400/month, will definitely cover any journey we'd need to do.
The Ionic is a good car, not particularly exciting but does electric car business very well, if that's what you're after.

Don't know much about the Model S, what model are you looking at?

Surprisingly enough, the woman in my life doesn't seem to be 100% against option 2; Admittedly, that could be because she likes the car, or it could be because she's simply fed up with talking about it, and she's resigned herself to my need to do something stupid every few years.
This is all too familiar, I did something stupid and my Mrs never stopped criticising for it once I got the thing so it didn't last long :rolleyes:

On my budget, it would be a private purchase on the Model S, so no warranty.
As long as you've got some bunce in the bank in case anything goes wrong..

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,436 Posts
I see that you have an understanding of "EV living". So this is now a finance question:. If you can afford the loan without stressing the rest of your finances, why not, go ahead. But if you are going to risk too much... Be careful.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
You already know the answer, and no amount of logic will overcome an emotional decision. It might suppress the underlying issue but then it may resurface in a worse form such as a Porsche or an affair - none are necessary or make sense but look around you and you see them everywhere.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Personally I'd get the Model S, yet I also wouldn't. You've got the 'refreshed' version due later in the year which is going to cause a further drop in price for such a premium vehicle, more so than the total cost of the PCH on the Ioniq.

Also if you are PCH'ing do the smallest amount upfront, so go for a 1+23 or a 3+23.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know how far you could stretch your budget to, but for £4000+£400pm for 4 years, a new Model 3 is available, gives a warrenty etc. Only 5000 miles per year tho
Those figures are doable. But the GF wasn't too impressed when she saw the M3 - especially with the fixed parcel shelf.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Those figures are doable. But the GF wasn't too impressed when she saw the M3 - especially with the fixed parcel shelf.
Maybe stick with the Leaf till later this year and get the Model Y, or look at getting a subscription car from Evezy as a short term or longer solution. Evezy will have 4 additional models added to its fleet next month.

Reactions: cjm_2013

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you been offered the 3.3% APR, or is that the representative rate?

Before committing to such a large amount of debt, I would first spend the next 6-12months putting £400/month aside and seeing how manageable it is. After all, where is this £400/month coming from, if you haven't already been saving it?

Worse case scenario is you realise it wasn't manageable and you have £2,400-£4,800 saved. Better than having to sell the car at a loss to settle the debt.

Being pedantic, but no one can ever know they can afford a loan. What you know is that you could afford it should nothing ever change in your income or outgoings over the next 4yrs....it's not uncommon for life to have other ideas...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You already know the answer, and no amount of logic will overcome an emotional decision. It might suppress the underlying issue but then it may resurface in a worse form such as a Porsche or an affair - none are necessary or make sense but look around you and you see them everywhere.
Absolutely. @OP, just ask your partner if she'd rather you had a Model S, Porsche or affair and I'm sure you'll get the answer you want.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you been offered the 3.3% APR, or is that the representative rate?

Before committing to such a large amount of debt, I would first spend the next 6-12months putting £400/month aside and seeing how manageable it is. After all, where is this £400/month coming from, if you haven't already been saving it?

Worse case scenario is you realise it wasn't manageable and you have £2,400-£4,800 saved. Better than having to sell the car at a loss to settle the debt.

Being pedantic, but no one can ever know they can afford a loan. What you know is that you could afford it should nothing ever change in your income or outgoings over the next 4yrs....it's not uncommon for life to have other ideas...
Very good suggestions & questions!

I've been systematically clearing off my debts over the past few months (thanks in part to an unexpected tax refund). That's freed up more or less the additional amount.

At the moment my largest outgoings are the mortgage & nursery, and the payments for the Leaf I have. I have about 2k to play with once those are paid. The Leaf is on an interest free HP (thanks RCI!), that's 180/month.

I don't think that going up to 400/month will make things that tight. But sticking the 'experimental' amount away is actually a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A 40Kwh or 62Kwh Leaf?
Nero?
Model 3 on Evezy to give it a try or a month or 2 without any long term commitment?
Keep your Leaf and get a second hand Ice car for longer journeys or rent one on Turo as needed?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,962 Posts
Which is more important - the bigger range or the bigger boot? If you could live with a slightly the same boot but bigger range then the Leaf 60 that's about £31k in the weird not quite tekna spec might be an option.

If it's definitely the boot then I'd also look at the E Niro. 7 year warranty. It's the safe and boring option.

Any Model S would have to be one with FSH that's had everything done already so you don't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which is more important - the bigger range or the bigger boot? If you could live with a slightly the same boot but bigger range then the Leaf 60 that's about £31k in the weird not quite tekna spec might be an option.

If it's definitely the boot then I'd also look at the E Niro. 7 year warranty. It's the safe and boring option.

Any Model S would have to be one with FSH that's had everything done already so you don't have to pay for it.
Range and boot :D

The Model S has a boot like a cave and most 85kWh models seem to be able to get 200 miles without really trying!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts