Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Was just wondering if there are any Ampera owners on here who may be able to advise?

On paper (wel....tablet) the Ampera seems a good choice for us, but in the current situation going around and testing our issue is not possible. My husband is 6'1" and I'm just 5'1". We've had difficulties in the past finding one car to suit both. Can any Ampera owners out there advise if the drivers seat can accommodate this size range?

Fingers crossed as I really like this car!

Many thanks

Susan

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I'm 6' 1", and my son is 6' 1.5" (v important to him!) but has slightly shorter legs than me! And a longer back I assume!! Both of us fit in with no probems at all. I've just sat in mine, and checked to see how much further I can move the seat back. I reckon about 3" travel remains. So you'll have no problems whatsoever in this respect! The steering wheel also adjusts in & out + up & down. Rear seats are ok - I wouldn't want to be any taller, and they're a bit limited for me regards headroom. <6' tall is best in there!

Both the drivers & passengers seat can adjust the angle of the backrest, and both have a manual crank lever at the side to raise/lower it. Have had tiny mum-in-law in the passenger seat cranked up high, and she gets a good view, not hidden behind the dashboard.

What I will say is that the car is low, so it helps if you're slim & agile like us. Someone who finds it hard to bend, maybe v overweight, or with a bad back, may find it hard getting in & out, and may do better with a SUV shaped EV.

If you're considering getting one, make sure you've read the Guide to Buying an Ampera thread; these fantastic cars are running out of warranty soon, so in that respect are more risky than a newer EV. But they're pretty solid tbh, and we're hoping that with more EVs around generally, there will be more independent gges springing up who will take on EV repairs (HEVRA name springs to mins). My excellent Ampera dealer (not many in UK!) is 45 miles away, and I've got the resources to afford a possible £1000 bill (or more) if something expensive suddenly happens to me, and being retired I can take a few days/weeks out with no car if it gets flatbedded miles away, I'd share wife's runaround car. This might be an unacceptable risk if you're dependent on 100% availability of car for your critical job.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
my better half claims to be 5'. there is some dispute ;) 4'11". I'm 5'10 and it fits both. It has a steering wheel which adjusts up and down and back and forth and that is the key, the seat adjustment is enough.

Very nice to drive, just make sure the history is good and if there is any warranty left its valid. Some users on here have them for sale as they move on to other EV's often a Tesla M3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 6' 1", and my son is 6' 1.5" (v important to him!) but has slightly shorter legs than me! And a longer back I assume!! Both of us fit in with no probems at all. I've just sat in mine, and checked to see how much further I can move the seat back. I reckon about 3" travel remains. So you'll have no problems whatsoever in this respect! The steering wheel also adjusts in & out + up & down. Rear seats are ok - I wouldn't want to be any taller, and they're a bit limited for me regards headroom. <6' tall is best in there!

Both the drivers & passengers seat can adjust the angle of the backrest, and both have a manual crank lever at the side to raise/lower it. Have had tiny mum-in-law in the passenger seat cranked up high, and she gets a good view, not hidden behind the dashboard.

What I will say is that the car is low, so it helps if you're slim & agile like us. Someone who finds it hard to bend, maybe v overweight, or with a bad back, may find it hard getting in & out, and may do better with a SUV shaped EV.

If you're considering getting one, make sure you've read the Guide to Buying an Ampera thread; these fantastic cars are running out of warranty soon, so in that respect are more risky than a newer EV. But they're pretty solid tbh, and we're hoping that with more EVs around generally, there will be more independent gges springing up who will take on EV repairs (HEVRA name springs to mins). My excellent Ampera dealer (not many in UK!) is 45 miles away, and I've got the resources to afford a possible £1000 bill (or more) if something expensive suddenly happens to me, and being retired I can take a few days/weeks out with no car if it gets flatbedded miles away, I'd share wife's runaround car. This might be an unacceptable risk if you're dependent on 100% availability of car for your critical job.

That's some great advise. Things I might not have thought about. I'll definitely check out garages, being semi rural and as a one car family that could be an issue. I'll read the other threads on here too, I just couldn't find a specific 'Ampera' group.

Thank you, your advise has been really helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's some great advise. Things I might not have thought about. I'll definitely check out garages, being semi rural and as a one car family that could be an issue. I'll read the other threads on here too, I just couldn't find a specific 'Ampera' group.

Thank you, your advise has been really helpful.
Oops! didn't realise my reply was to 2 people. Thank you again for taking the time to reply. We have a lot to think about but at least I know we'll both fit in to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts