Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

LEAF due next Thursday.

We have tickets to an event at The Phones4U Arena (Manchester) in a few weeks time and I'd like to take the LEAF and help my wife get over her range anxiety. We're also booked into the Holiday Inn Express by the Arena.

Please can someone give me some advice on the nearest GMEV charge point that they would recommend using? I've not been to Manchester for 20 years since I left University, so my local knowledge is a bit out of date.

I should have a Plug-in-Midlands card by then, which I understand uses the same network as GMEV. Will this work? If not, what is the best way to access the GMEV points?

If we're heading up the M6 at 70mph, where would people recommend that charge en-route? The total trip is 105 miles.

I was hoping that one rapid charge on the way up, then slow charge in Manchester, then another rapid on the way home.

Many thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi MRH, welcome to the world of EV driving first and foremost!
If you've not already checked it out, the GMEV site is quite good at showing you the locations of the chargers they have, and if you compare with a map showing where the Arena is, you can get a good spot.
That being said, if you don't mind a 10min walk (advantage being you're away from the immediate exiting traffic of the Arena), the Travelodge on Blackfriers street has a charger outside.
The street itself has double yellows apart from the dedicated EV space, so little chance of ICE-ing happening :)
Don't forget your GMEV card (apply for £10 on their site) and your type 2-type 1 cable!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that recommendation. Local knowledge is invaluable. I'll take a look at the GMEV site right now.

Do you pay for parking in addition to the charging? Does the CYC app work for these locations?

Good point about the cable!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once you have the CYC card, the charging is (currently) free. The sweet kicker is that particular parking spot is free to use too! Most other spots in Manchester are in NPC car parks, which aren't exactly cheap.
Thing is, because you're getting the charge for nothing/nowt, paying for he parking doesn't hurt as much!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The main issue with the central Manchester charge points is that pretty well all of them are subject to typical city centre parking charges. In some ways not an issue as every car has to pay but the on-street chargers aren't terribly useful until after 6pm where you can at least buy a ticket to take you into the free time after 8pm. On street is charged 8am to 8pm, 7days a weeks, max 2 hour stay.
Manchester Central has an evening rate of £5 after 6pm to midnight which is actually not too bad for a secure well located car park. Outside of that time, it's extortionate though - e.g. 6-12 hours is £14.50.
As @KeyboardsGray says the Blackfriars Street is a special case because it's in Salford. If it's not in use, it's the one to go for.
There are also rapids at MMU, Eithad (perhaps broken), Salford Royal (all CYC)and slightly further our Ikea Ashton (Ecotricity). Nissan Stockport too though dealer hours only.
It might be worth getting a full charge somewhere and then moving the car after your event.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

I'll head for the Blackfriars street for a full charge if unoccupied, if not I'll head for the next nearest. When charged I may move it to a carpark nearer the hotel.

On the way up I'll head for Keele (currently not operational!) which will leave me 50miles to the centre of Manchester.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I hope Keele is up in time for your trip. I was there recently and the charger is still down, has been for a while :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you prefer to park near the hotel your staying at, and want to use a rapid charger, there are three GMEV rapid chargers around the city, an Electric Highway rapid charger at Ikea in Ashton, and a Nissan dealership rapid charger at Stockport.

Check this map for the locations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts