Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Have you ever been charged a fee for charging that you weren't expecting?

• Yes, it was more than I was expecting

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes, it was less than I was expecting (or zero)

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No. Everything is good with the world.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a twitter conversation I had with @CYC about how difficult it is to know a charging tariff, and how they should be conveyed to the users..

Have any of you seen on-screen displays of charger tariffs? The quality and accuracy of fees charged at fee-paying charge points is very variable, from pieces of paper gaffer-taped to the unit to no information about fees whatsoever (Chargemaster).

OCPP 2.0 states it's possible, but it's still in draft. Has any chargepoint vendor (or back-office system) actually implemented the pricing profile displays ?

From a user perspective, three stages related to price information need be supported:

Before charging:
Pricing information upfront of a charge session

During charging:
Cost information during a charge session

After charging:
Total cost information after a charge session​

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The pricing is so low that I'm not bothered by the cost, but if that starts to change then yes the charge points need to be updated. The one near me tells me very clearly how many kw's (or kwh's - I don't care which) it's putting in and I know that I multiply that by 15p. It also rounds down so if I finish at 6.95 kwh, I only get charged for 6.

But surely they could be programmed to show a cost instead as that's what most people are bothered by.

15p a kwh isn't an issue, but when you start getting to 30p or even 50p, then accuracy and upfront costs would be needed.

Still early days though and I don't mind filling with 50 miles for 75p.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15p a kwh isn't an issue, but when you start getting to 30p or even 50p, then accuracy and upfront costs would be needed.
You clearly haven't use a Chargemaster rapid, where the price could be £0.00, or £7.50 per 30 minutes, or £15 per hour (unclear on unit rounding), or £0.09/kWh, and you're very lucky if there's any signage saying what the rate is.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Thankfully not. I can count their chargers in Yorkshire almost on one hand and they're all free to use. Equally if they as a network cant' be bothered up here and I can't be bothered to use them.

I have seen in MK that there is a £7 charge which compares as more expensive than petrol. They could get stuffed for that.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I've never used a pay charger because they all seem to require you to set up an account and add money to it up front, or pay some kind of subscription or nonsense like that. Maybe next year when Source London start to charge...

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Indeed, I find it most concerning not knowing whether or not I will be charged, let alone how much.

On a long trip it could be pretty horrific - imagine coming back from a weekend away to find you had 10 lots of £7.50 bills on your doormat ...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Don't you have to pre-pay on Chargemaster? I don't know, it looked like a terrible deal and I mostly forgot about them, but I seem to recall that you had to pay £20 for the card and then load it up with credits or something.

I see that CYC want a card on file... That worries me.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't you have to pre-pay on Chargemaster? I don't know, it looked like a terrible deal and I mostly forgot about them, but I seem to recall that you had to pay £20 for the card and then load it up with credits or something.

I see that CYC want a card on file... That worries me.
Yes, Chargemaster wants a pre-pay of an initial minimum of £20, even for their 'free' chargers, and they don't give you a card any more. Unless you want to take up their rather pricey montly subscription offer, you'll have to rely on an app.

If you are worried by CYC having a credit/debit card on file for you, then you could always get a The New Motion card - they support lots of different method of payments, including certain fuel cards!. They're supposedly good on any CYC rfid controlled charge point (but I'm not sure they'll work an Ecotricity, because that's not true roaming)

(I'm slightly surprised that CYC don't do direct debits)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Thanks Simon. I tried to sign up for the New Motion card but the sign up page doesn't let you enter a UK address. That would be ideal - a single card with easy payment system that just works on as many networks as possible.

CYC seem okay, I just see Chargemaster's predatory pricing scheme and worry. They are giving EV charging a bad rep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts