Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are moving into a new build that will have solar panels installed and are going to be installing a EV charger at home. Does anyone know of any tariffs that combine these to get the best benefits/price?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Hi, we are moving into a new build that will have solar panels installed and are going to be installing a EV charger at home. Does anyone know of any tariffs that combine these to get the best benefits/price?
Thanks!
How big are the panels ( in terms of expected output)?
Will the car be parked at home during the day, Spring, Summer and Winter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autumn of course.
We don’t know how much we will get off the solar panels but I hear from others in the development that it’s not much. There are four panels and we are south facing. They come with the house, so it’s seems a shame not to try to get a benefit out of them!

For the car, we don’t do a huge amount of miles so can charge it overnight, which I can see tariffs for - but not sure if I can combine those with the benefit of the the solar panels.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
This depends on the size of the Array and the use of the car, A small panel (4kWp) setup will at best trickle charge the car and that assumes the car is at home all day.
I see its a 4 panel array - say 1.2kWp (300w a panel at a guess) so not much use for car charging.
Octopus offer 5p a unit on their go tariff for 4 hours - this will be enough to charge the car usually - depends on how its used, the day rate is reasonable as well.
The Panels can supply the daylight load on the house and any excess be sold to a electricity supplier for 3-5p a unit.
The trouble is adding a battery to shift usage of the unused solar to the evening is expensive and the payback is very slow.

·
jim5452
451 Posts
If you wish to benifit from solar you need to have your EV at home during the day, unless you have a battery installed , which I doubt as you only have 4 panels, you could go for an EV tariff, such as OCTOPUS GO which alows you to charge for 4 hours at 5p/Kwh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This depends on the size of the Array and the use of the car, A small panel (4kWp) setup will at best trickle charge the car and that assumes the car is at home all day.
I see its a 4 panel array - say 1.2kWp (300w a panel at a guess) so not much use for car charging.
Octopus offer 5p a unit on their go tariff for 4 hours - this will be enough to charge the car usually - depends on how its used, the day rate is reasonable as well.
The Panels can supply the daylight load on the house and any excess be sold to a electricity supplier for 3-5p a unit.
The trouble is adding a battery to shift usage of the unused solar to the evening is expensive and the payback is very slow.
Thanks yes - that’s what I was trying to work out. Can you have a tariff like the Octopus one that allows you to charge cheaply overnight and still sell back any electricity generated on the solar panels. I don’t necessarily need the panels to charge the car direct. If that makes sense!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
We don’t know how much we will get off the solar panels but I hear from others in the development that it’s not much. There are four panels and we are south facing. They come with the house, so it’s seems a shame not to try to get a benefit out of them!

For the car, we don’t do a huge amount of miles so can charge it overnight, which I can see tariffs for - but not sure if I can combine those with the benefit of the the solar panels.
If only 4 panels, probably best to get the best deal for charging your car ( say overnight Octopus Go) and treat consumption of and export of the solar output separately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you wish to benifit from solar you need to have your EV at home during the day, unless you have a battery installed , which I doubt as you only have 4 panels, you could go for an EV tariff, such as OCTOPUS GO which alows you to charge for 4 hours at 5p/Kwh
Thanks yes, wasn’t looking to charge the car with the panels. Just trying to work out if I can get a suitable tariff with a supplier and still sell / offset any electricity from the panels back to the supplier. They seem to offer a tariff for solar panels and a tariff for EVs but couldn’t work out of you can do both.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Octopus have an outgoing tariff. I've no idea what it pays but the output from 4 panels is very unlikely to be enough to warrant picking an incoming tariff based on that.
Trying to use as much of your generation is the most cost effective.

I haven't seen a tariff that's aimed at EV drivers with solar panels. EVs are still a small share of the market, EV drivers with solar panels needing an outgoing tariff will be a very small slice of the market.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Octopus have an outgoing tariff. I've no idea what it pays but the output from 4 panels is very unlikely to be enough to warrant picking an incoming tariff based on that.
Trying to use as much of your generation is the most cost effective.

I haven't seen a tariff that's aimed at EV drivers with solar panels. EVs are still a small share of the market, EV drivers with solar panels needing an outgoing tariff will be a very small slice of the market.
Thanks - when I contacted Octopus all they said was “If your are looking to export from the panels, then Outgoing Octopus will be the tariff for that: https://octopus.energy/outgoing/
For your electric vehicle, Octopus Go is best suited: https://octopus.energy/go/

Wasn’t sure if I could have the go tariff and get money off for anything generated by the panels (no matter how small). Seems a waste to have them sitting there.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
How is your hot water heated?

4 panels will not generate a huge amount, even if the highest output panels.

Your best option is to maximise your use of what you generate and try and minimise what you export - use your solar to do laundry / heat water during the day, have an EV tariff for cheap charging at night.

A diverter such as Myenergi's Eddi (several other companies make similar / cheaper devices) will automate the process wrt hot water.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
You can sell the excess to any company, you are not tied to your supplier. Not sure if Octopus go will allow Octopus outgoing, I have a battery and they do not support outgoing so I sell elsewhere any excess.

If you have an immersion heater in a hotwater tank than something like an EDDI or Solar iBoost will divert any excess into the heater. This nowadays with condensing boilers and high pressure systems is not always the case though I'm lead to believe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can sell the excess to any company, you are not tied to your supplier. Not sure if Octopus go will allow Octopus outgoing, I have a battery and they do not support outgoing so I sell elsewhere any excess.

If you have an immersion heater in a hotwater tank than something like an EDDI or Solar iBoost will divert any excess into the heater. This nowadays with condensing boilers and high pressure systems is not always the case though I'm lead to believe.
Oh I didn’t know I could sell it to anyone, thank you!!
Not sure what hot water system we have as we haven’t moved in yet - but this is the spec we have from the developer:
‘Gas-fired boiler with wet radiator heating system and domestic hot water provided at mains pressure.’ I’m not very technical on these sorts of things so a bit clueless!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Octopus Go is best for power with 4 hour 5p rate at 00.30 - 04.30 to charge your car and any other time delay items - washing machine and excellent price at other times. No associated solar export tariff, so So Energy SEG
is the best place to get a SEG contract.
4 panels will contribute to your use but not enough to be troubled by.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
domestic hot water provided at mains pressure
Needs an expert - any plumbers around?
To me this sounds like the hot water is not provided by a traditional loft tank / hotwater cylinder but some form of pressurized system so may well not have an immersion.

On the charger I'd get the builder to run suitable cable to where the charger will be, might save disruption when the charger is installed.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
To me this sounds like the hot water is not provided by a traditional loft tank / hotwater cylinder but some form of pressurized system so may well not have an immersion.
I doubt that any modern system will have a traditional loft gravity based hot water system. It will most likely be an instantaneous hot water system, or a pressurised DHW system as found in ASHP, but these are far more expensive than a standard instantaneous gas boiler so highly unlikely.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Oh I didn’t know I could sell it to anyone, thank you!!
Not sure what hot water system we have as we haven’t moved in yet - but this is the spec we have from the developer:
‘Gas-fired boiler with wet radiator heating system and domestic hot water provided at mains pressure.’ I’m not very technical on these sorts of things so a bit clueless!
Could be a combi, but sounds more like an unvented cylinder (which is what we have).

Ours includes a coil for heating via boiler and an immersion heater. Our immersion heater is supplied via an Eddi - any surplus solar heats the water.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
765 Posts

On the charger I'd get the builder to run suitable cable to where the charger will be, might save disruption when the charger is installed.
Likely a combi boiler, which won't have a tank. Unless it's a "megaflow" type, which is a mains pressure tank setup, though I would have thought that unlikely in a new build as standard unless it's an expensive / bespoke new build.
If it's a combi then obviously no immersion, cheapest easiest solution is just to charge the car on the granny charger when the sun is shining, if the granny charger allows you to adjust the rate down to 6A (many do) then that will roughly match the solar panel output around midday in full sun. On such a small solar array any other options are not likely to be at all cost effective.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
New builds tend to have on demand boilers, so unlikely to have a hot water tank as space is also a consideration.

Best bet is to sell it to the grid and charge the car overnight at a low rate. You then tend to just pay a very low marginal rate for charging your car.

4 panels sounds like a bit of green washing in the UK. Really need 10 or more to make it worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.