Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when (and it's inevitable really) companies like Ecotricity start charging for their electrons, how much would you be happy to pay, per kWh?

It's interesting that companies like CYC already charge per unit at some of their 7kw chargers, but I can't find any info anywhere on how much that charge is.

I'd love to see some sort of flat subscription model with a yearly upfront or monthly fee, so it's easy to manage and budget. At the moment I'm paying 11p / kWh at home overnight, which I think is pretty reasonable. Some of the prices I've seen for European charging points look absolutely horrendous - I hope we don't end up going the same way over here...

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
I have a page on the EVDA-UK site that lists the charges, but it is only visible when logged in as a member (to try and reduce the risk of CYC asking for the info to be removed!)

I think it is up to date, but have asked people to let me know if they spot a rate changing.

The current charges are:

Rapid Chargers
CableCom Training 20p/minute for CHAdeMO and 22kW
Morritt County House Hotel 25p/minute for CHAdeMO (maybe also 22kW)
Wynyard Park 13p/minute for CHAdeMO and 22kW

Fast Chargers
The Northumberland Taxi and Coach Centre £1/hour for 7kW
All York CYC Chargers 50p/hour for 13A or 7kW

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
This is going to become a very hot topic in years to come because people will resent paying much more than they pay at home and certainly will not pay more than what it would cost to run an ICE.

In my opinion, they will have a hard time convincing people to pay at all when they can charge so cheaply at home especially when EVs with greater range are available and there is less necessity to charge at public infrastructure.

What would I pay?

I would not pay by the minute at all because the charge rate drops as it nears full and so it is entirely possible that you won't get much actual power per minute if it is already over 70%. Neither would I pay "per charge" as I would need different amounts each time and would resent paying a fixed fee regardless of the amount of charge I get.

So if I were to pay at all it would only be per kWh. That is the only fair way to do it but so far no one has started to do that AFAIK as selling electricity by the kWh is not permitted unless you are an accredited supplier. Ecotricity could probably do it but they are not charging for some time... if ever.

If I were to pay per kWh I would probably start to become less than happy at about 20p/kWh and I would not pay more than 25p/kWh as that is about the same price per mile as a good ICE (60mpg). So for me an acceptable price is anything less than 20p/kWh and charging at a fixed price per charge or at a price per minute is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A pound an hour for 7kw :eek: A 3.3kw muppet like me could end up spending 6 quid if charging from flat.

Bonkers.

13p / Min for CHAdeMO seems reasonable, and might put people off sitting for another half hour for that final 20%.

@Paul_Churchley - what if the 'fixed' charge price was set very low? Less than a quid?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Personally I believe that the law should be changed to allow per-kWh EV-charger-charging and you then pay per kWh with a flat "service fee" per charge (stopping at 80% and restarting should still count as one charge). If you are a member of a scheme you could pay an annual or monthly fee rather than a per-charge service fee.

What I would love is for the kWhs to be added to my home bill (at my normal home rate), with a small service charge for each charging session.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
what if the 'fixed' charge price was set very low? Less than a quid?
I hadn't considered that as I felt that this was unlikely but if I were to consider at what price I would be happy with a fixed charge then I would have to consider that on at least 25% of occasions when rapid charging I would need to double charge and on 7kW (3.3kW for me!) I would only get 15 -30 miles per charge as I very rarely charge for more than 2 hours on fast charging.

So with that in mind... on a 7kW charger (3.3kW for me) I might be happy with a fixed fee of up to £2. On a rapid charger I wouldn't be happy with more than £2 given that I often charge for just 10 mins or so to get me to next charger without the need to risk running out.

I fixed charge like this might help dissuade people from charging "just in case" as I do, and it wold help reduce congestion at chargers for sure, but it would increase the risk of running flat and increase range anxiety in the process.

This is not an easy nut to crack IMO. There are a lot of conflicting needs. The only fair way is to charge per kWh and then a short "splash and dash" or a charge to 100% does not carry a financial penalty.

As for a fixed fee per month or year... I would not like that either as my travel is erratic and unpredictable. It would suit those that commute though.

I like the idea of @Matt Beard ... pay what we pay at home with a small service charge per charge. That might work well for me.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Definitely think properly "metered" (as in for the power you get) would be the ONLY fair way to charge as a "proper" business model that's fair for all. And again, maybe (at present rates) 20p per kWh would be fair enough?

Or standard plus a "service" charge, but with that you'd get better value by "blocking" the chargers for longer, but using them less frequently.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
So when (and it's inevitable really) companies like Ecotricity start charging for their electrons, how much would you be happy to pay, per kWh?
I will avoid it whenever possible because charging at home or my destination is all I'm really interested in. If I *must* charge during my journey then I like the Tesla model where Supercharging is built into the price of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts