Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New Leaf today (picked up). I have followed the You+Nissan instructions - activated all the connected services from laptop - however car still shows a grey car with an axe through it.

Phoned You+Nissan again - they told me I need to get the dealer to do a TCU reset....

Phoned dealer - sales guy (great BTW) a bit perplexed as said would only need reset if it had been registered to another user (this is a brand new 2017 Leaf)....

I did tell him that when I looked at registered bluetooth devices it had someone else phone in slot 1 - a name I forget....

Wonder if someone testing / PDI has accidentally registered the car???? -

Very strange. anyway - anyone got any experience of TCU reset? Will it take long??? Keen to get the app working and full capability of the car sorted!

·
Registered
891 Posts
when i got my second hand Leaf the selling dealer forgot to reset it and my local dealer did the TCU reset. it's faster then you can drink a cuppa ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless, like me, your TCU needs replacing rather than resetting :mad::(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been told to "leave it 48 hours". I know that won't work. Off to dealers tomorrow with the V5 for my old car - so will sort I hope.... or at least get booked in....

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's so flipping annoying that a PDI check doesn't actually check everything :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up brand new Leaf on Tuesday and had to get TCU reset tonight. Was a greyed out car with red line through it on screen and the car wouldn't connect with the app.

Took 5mins to reset at the dealers and the guy set it up on the app for me also.

The initial setup is way too awkward for the connected services, but once up and running all seems great!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I picked up brand new Leaf on Tuesday and had to get TCU reset tonight. Was a greyed out car with red line through it on screen and the car wouldn't connect with the app.

Took 5mins to reset at the dealers and the guy set it up on the app for me also.

The initial setup is way too awkward for the connected services, but once up and running all seems great!
I agree that the actual resetting doesn't take too much time, but imagine the fun of travelling all the way back to your dealer if it happens to be a fair distance. I have seen several posts from new owners that have travelled in excess of 100 miles to pick up their new car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TCU reset today and still the grey car with a line through it. Next step is to call Nissan again and ask them to check that the SIM card is actually activated. Apparently can happen on occasion. So the service guy told me anyway.

Will see what happens.

Realise today why I need it as I used public charging for the first time and when away from the car of course I have no way of knowing where I am up to / when to return.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Escaleted to tech support.... awaiting call next week

·
Registered
8 Posts
It puts a bit of a dampener on an otherwise brilliant car! No reason why this shouldn't be activated/reset/checked during PDI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: booked in 3rd May at dealers for a day. The Tech Support said reset again - however I called the dealers and they said "no way - bring it in and we will sort it!!" - They're annoyed by this issue apparently :) - and they will give me a leaf to drive for the day....

Not a deal breaker but annoying - I want to check my forest!!!! :)

Reactions: AtTheVan

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Leaf is 1 year old, and the TCU has been working well for me - until today. Today it would not connect and showed the grey car with the red line through it. From my experience I know that it may take a while before it connects, so at first I did not panic, and I ignored the red line. However, this time it did not connect at all, not even after a full hour.

So I started troubleshooting, and I noticed that e.g. information channels worked as expected, so the car must have been connected, but for some reason it still showed the grey car with the red line.

I turned the car off and tried to access it using the Nissan Connect EV application from my iPhone. I did not expect that to work, but it did work, I got the battery SOC and the remaining range estimate. When I turned my Leaf on again, the grey car / red line symbol was gone.

What do you think, is my TCU also going to need a reset soon? From what I have read about the TCU issues so far, I do not think I have a defective one because, for those who need a replacement, once it fails to connect, it will never connect again. But I am not sure about the reset, how can that help? In the settings of my Leaf, I have found a menu item named "Reinitialize all Nissan Connect Svcs" (or similar), is that not the same thing?

Anyway, I would like to know whether or not you can connect to any of the information channels (or update charging stations, etc.) when you see the grey car with the red line. If you can, then perhaps the grey car and the red line do not really mean much, do they?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Anyway, I would like to know whether or not you can connect to any of the information channels (or update charging stations, etc.) when you see the grey car with the red line. If you can, then perhaps the grey car and the red line do not really mean much, do they?
Nope I cannot get stations info (just says NO SERVICE) and nor can I connect via phone / app / laptop etc.

I tried the reinitialise menu option first - but didn't work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
UPDATE: Nissan dealer has had my car since Wednesday to sort this issue. Wednesday night got a call - not sorted. Thursday - I phoned for update - and got a call back..... A recall had arrived at the dealers (including my car) that the TCU needs replacing. So that is what is being done. Car back Monday (I said I would keep their Leaf for the weekend)....

Will update Monday to (hopefully) resolve this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
UPDATE: Nissan dealer has had my car since Wednesday to sort this issue. Wednesday night got a call - not sorted. Thursday - I phoned for update - and got a call back..... A recall had arrived at the dealers (including my car) that the TCU needs replacing. So that is what is being done. Car back Monday (I said I would keep their Leaf for the weekend)....

Will update Monday to (hopefully) resolve this.
Sorry to hear you still haven't got a resolution!

With the help of NissanGB on here, my issue was escalated to the office of Nissan's CEO. Once they got involved, the issue I'd waited 4 weeks for customer services to fix was resolved in 2.5hrs.

I asked for a gesture of goodwill and managed to wangle a free service, so in a way it was worth the hassle in the end :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Call from dealers - all done. TCU replaced and now working. I checked my you+Nissan online and still cannot see the car, however I am guessing I'll need to call them up again and marry my account to the new TCU.....

Hopefully that will be a smooth process......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well - all done. TCU replaced (on warranty) - and I didn't;t even need to call Nissan to get it talking to my phone etc. I even turned the A/C on from Sainsbury's just because I can :p

Only drawback is I have missed first 1000 miles of data and being a bit of a I kinda like data. Now I have my car back going to play with Leafspy tomorrow.

So - thread completed - satisfactory outcome....... :)

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear you still haven't got a resolution!

With the help of NissanGB on here, my issue was escalated to the office of Nissan's CEO. Once they got involved, the issue I'd waited 4 weeks for customer services to fix was resolved in 2.5hrs.

I asked for a gesture of goodwill and managed to wangle a free service, so in a way it was worth the hassle in the end :)
Hi themanthatcan how did you get the CEO involved as Im having asimilar problem with a 2 month old env200, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts