Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla may not like it but their technology is being analysed by third parties and we will all benefit from this knowledge...

"The Tesla teardown project from IHS offers analysis on 12 key electronic vehicle parts, including an in-depth exploration of the Premium Media Control Unit, the Instrument Cluster and the Battery. The analysis features annotated digital photos of all sub-assemblies including printed circuit boards highlighting regions by function, with manufacturers’ names, part numbers and access to an online tool with detailed component specifications."

https://technology.ihs.com/510023

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I thought that Elon wasn't bothered about others knowing about their tech because he wants to further the EV cause; that's why they made their patents available.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

I read somewhere that the likes of BMW had not shown interest in analysing it.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I thought that Elon wasn't bothered about others knowing about their tech because he wants to further the EV cause; that's why they made their patents available.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

I read somewhere that the likes of BMW had not shown interest in analysing it.
I actually looked at some of the patents... TBH nothing particularly earth shattering, and like a lot of the crazy US patent system, more of a land grab of prior art. (Stuff like "Charging system when used in the context of electric automobile")

Tesla probably felt comfortable making them public, because ultimately the real value is in the implementation and development that has gone into them. It really would take some serious reverse engineering.

I suspect for BMW the i3 is really a quota thing so they can sell into California where they require percentages of the car to be EV. Ultimately they'll be making more profit on big luxury ICE stuff.

It also serves as a test bed for high volume CFRP techniques, which they think may even work out cheaper than steel. (Personally I think they are also using it as market research into how cheaply they can make an interior with recycled cardboard and bamboo, using eco-ness to cover cost cutting, without people baulking at ;) )

The i8, as a hybrid, is probably more indicative of where BMW are putting their efforts.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Interesting, no breakdown of the inverter or the BCM. Ultimately the rest is fluff. (Very well implemented fluff I'll admit)

Theoretically there is no reason you couldn't ditch the rest, and use someone else's firmware to run the touch screen. The problem is the link between the driving controls and the motor, which is how Tesla are controlling disabling that wrecked car.

If someone works out how to jail break one, I'm sure all sorts of possibilities could be opened up.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Agreed Simon...but it was encouraging to see that BMW created an 'i' division autonomous of the rest of BMW. Without it, their first model would probably have been nothing like the i3 we know.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Agreed Simon...but it was encouraging to see that BMW created an 'i' division autonomous of the rest of BMW. Without it, their first model would probably have been nothing like the i3 we know.
The first model was the BMW 1 Series ActiveE ;) (Unless you count the Mini - E)

The fact these cars aren't on sale here, (along side the Fiat 500, and Ford Focus) and only where it is mandated by law, would suggest the mainstream manufacturers aren't making enough margin on them to bother.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I suspect Simon is correct that there is massively more margin to be made in a £60,000 7-series than a £60,000 Tesla. All the R&D for the 7-series has been amortised over the last 100 years (heck, it didn't even get the 50-year update to Front Wheel Drive :) ).

A forward thinking government would do the same as California, however, we are already a little "niche" as we are RHD and the rest of Europe is LHD. So we might end up only being able to buy Japanese cars.

Mini-E were probably a bit of a token effort : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10138911

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I suspect Simon is correct that there is massively more margin to be made in a £60,000 7-series than a £60,000 Tesla. All the R&D for the 7-series has been amortised over the last 100 years (heck, it didn't even get the 50-year update to Front Wheel Drive :) ).
For sure.

I have a sneaky feeling Tesla aren't making much of anything on the base 60's. The batteries alone must be close to £15k cost (they list at at £23k retail.)

Of course there is very little difference cost wise between the base, and top spec cars, so they are likely to make more as a % on an 85, and even more on a P85. + The options really are expensive, as is the servicing.

It's like the old days of Merc and BMW... Would sir like a radio with his car ?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Mini-E were probably a bit of a token effort : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10138911
You're not using the BBC as a source on EV news are you?! :eek: :p

They were phase one of their public BEV researching and testing, they ran a good long trial and seemed to get a lot of good information. A real MINI E arriving in the future wouldn't be a shock in the slightest.

Cool... Never saw either TBH.

I take it they were LHD ?
As far as I can recall, should know seeing as I had a nice bomb around in one!?

Can't find my photos just now, but here's one (and a review) I did... https://speakev.com/threads/the-mini-e-that-started-it-all-for-me-long-read.122/

:D

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
You're not using the BBC as a source on EV news are you?! :eek: :p

They were phase one of their public BEV researching and testing, they ran a good long trial and seemed to get a lot of good information. A real MINI E arriving in the future wouldn't be a shock in the slightest.

As far as I can recall, should know seeing as I had a nice bomb around in one!?

Can't find my photos just now, but here's one (and a review) I did... https://speakev.com/threads/the-mini-e-that-started-it-all-for-me-long-read.122/

:D
Good review.

Out of interest I wonder what you would say about the regen braking if you were to drive it now, given all the EV driving you have under your belt.

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
Oh really? That's where all the active e's went isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
No, I believe that some did, as is normal for a pre-production test car. Many though went to the Drive Now scheme.

Crushed ActiveEs by dennis_p, on Flickr

A "select" few Active Es went to expand the DriveNow Car Sharing program in San Francisco...

The rest were...

...crushed (as was I)

The regen on BMWs are the strongest of the brands that I've driven. The MiniE was supposedly much stronger than the ActiveE and the I3 is not as strong as the ActiveE, but not by much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts