Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
24kw Acenta here - I ran on 42 psi for a year but I got abnormal wear on outer edge of rear tyres (see other thread about abnormal wear) and someone suggested it could be caused by over inflation so I am back on 36 psi now which I believe is the Nissan recommended pressure. I dont see much/any difference in range from this change on my commute though I have not stretched it to the max yet on a very long journey.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. On my previous cars I have tended to use either the fully laden pressures or go up by about 2 from the manufacturer's recommendation, but the Leaf only has one pressure on the door plate namely 36. I am tempted to run 38 for a while and see how that works out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ran 38psi on my 24kWh Tekna and it wore the centre of the front tyres which is a sign of over inflating.

I've dropped it back to Nissan's recommendation now of 36psi.

I also have been looking at the psi readings from LeafSpy and I note that the pressure can increase by 2psi as you drive. Presumably as the wheels heat up the psi increases so I think 36psi when cold is what you should set them to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Whatever the cause of your tyre tread wear, 38psi was not it!
What other reason would you put forward for wear on the centre of a front tyre? Usually tracking will affect the inside and outside. Over inflating will affect the centre, no?

I suspect different makes of tyres could also be affected differently depending on the compounds used so maybe 38 on one tyre will be ok but not on another?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't imagine! Unless they were really dodgy tyres. Your extra 2psi would have gone towards reducing the bulge in the sidewalls, that is where the flex is, not the tread.:)
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance.... so not dodgy tyres.

It seems to me that over-inflation is usually considered the reason for centre tyre wear. Maybe I was beyond 38, I don't know, but I can't see another reason for it other than over inflation.

Going with manufacturers recommended figure of 36psi seems the sensible thing to do anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts