Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout February a survey of EV users is being carried out in Telford town centre, hopefully with a view to improving the lack of charging facilities near the town centre.

Go to the information desk in the town centre, answer five questions and they'll give you a validated parking ticket so you can park for free. (The expiry date printed on ours was 29/02/2020 so theoretically you could leave your car there for a month for free!)

We can charge at home only a few miles away so it's not that important to us, but just a few Polar 3kw chargers in the asda car park is pretty rubbish for a town centre the size of Telford's, both for residents without their own charging and people passing by on the M54.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I live nearby in Newport Shropshire and find the lack of charging points within the Telford area frustrating. There is a new hi tech business park being planned for Newport which might result in new charging points. We have two new Instavolt points in Telford plus the new charging point at Weston Park.The Nissan dealer in Cannock have a Chademo charger should you be travelling to/from that side of Telford and need an emergency charge en route. Are you a Nissan Leaf owner ?

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a Zoe so we can't even make use of the new Instavolt chargers!

The worst bit used to be the chargerless desert around Telford for when you're nearly home from a long trip and are worried you might fall short by a few miles. The Spread Eagle at Gailey now has a charger and there's one by J2 of the M54 but something to the south west towards deepest Shropshire would be useful...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,117 Posts
Keep an eye on your local planning applications, it seems that all new Aldi stores are getting a couple of 7kW posts.

It's a little north for you guys, but there's one being built now in Whitchurch, next to the services on the bypass.
One of Chester's 3 branches is being bulldozed & rebuilt much bigger, and that has posts as well. Looks like it's Aldi's policy going forward.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
65 Posts
New Euro Garages petrol station nearing completion in Bridgnorth with EV chargers. Polar charger available at Albrighton Fire Station if your heading into Wolverhampton.

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very useful to know about Bridgnorth, thanks. If someone could build something in Church Stretton or Ludlow that would make going in that direction even easier...

I notice plugshare has something new at the Red House near Newport that looks like it only appeared today, the photo says it's an Alfa Power "DC charger" but it's really tiny! I've never seen anything like that before...

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting, I'd heard of lower power DC chargers but wasn't aware of any around here before.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I live in Newport and The Redhouse is only a few miles away from me so I drove there in my Leaf 40 this evening for a quick look. All the charging bays were predictably ice’d, looked a very busy evening at the pub. Anyway, too dark to see much to be honest.

I had a quick chat with someone inside the pub who stated the chargers had been installed only a few weeks ago and were app based.Will have another look tomorrow daytime. Unclear at this stage who the network provider is and/or the cost. Any new charging point in Telford is a big event as we have very few choices in the area.

Message to Phil, I think you were also looking at these chargers tonight. I left the pub at about 19.45 hrs so might have missed you. Not sure the cost of these chargers but I will have another look at them in daytime tomorrow. The Chademo is half power whch is a shame. Let me know if you have any more info. Simon.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
65 Posts
We have a Zoe so we can't even make use of the new Instavolt chargers!

The worst bit used to be the chargerless desert around Telford for when you're nearly home from a long trip and are worried you might fall short by a few miles. The Spread Eagle at Gailey now has a charger and there's one by J2 of the M54 but something to the south west towards deepest Shropshire would be useful...
That's interesting, I'd heard of lower power DC chargers but wasn't aware of any around here before.
  • Easthope Road Car Park
    Church Stretton
    Shropshire
    SY6 6B
  • Free Polar charger, entrance by Fish & Chip shop. Lovely chips while your charging!

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
  • Easthope Road Car Park
    Church Stretton
    Shropshire
    SY6 6B
  • Free Polar charger, entrance by Fish & Chip shop. Lovely chips while your charging!
That's only a 7kw charger as far as I can tell, life is too short! If I'm that desperate I'll just drive up to Shrewsbury at 15mph, hold up a few tractors on the way (aaah sweet irony / revenge) and use a rapid up there, it would be quicker...

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's only a 7kw charger as far as I can tell, life is too short! If I'm that desperate I'll just drive up to Shrewsbury at 15mph, hold up a few tractors on the way (aaah sweet irony / revenge) and use a rapid up there, it would be quicker...
It is a convenient place to charge thou if you want to go for a short walk in the Shropshire Hills. We have done that a couple of times when heading up that way to Ironbridge from South Wales.
But agree, some rapid chargers in that area would certainly help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a further look daytime at the new charger at Redhouse. It is an Alfapower unit with CCS plus Chademo, plus a 32 amp type 2 in an adjacent charger ( which was faulty ). The charger indicated that it was accessed via Alfapower as the provider using an RFID card and/or an app. Not sure the cost but will have a look at the companys website later today to see how much. The car park was empty today so could be a good choice daytime to charge in the Telford area,last night when the pub was busy all the charging bays were ice’d.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have this evening had a look at the Alfapower website and was able to download an app to my iPad. The cost is 25p per kWh which seems reasonable. I have forwarded an email to Alfapower to see if I can obtain an RFID card,as a potential regular user, rather than use an app ( which I hate using ).

·
Registered
Ioniq
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For places that have a three phase supply it does seem an option that is more useful to more people than a 22kw AC post (he says as a Zoe owner!) but I bet the hardware is an awful lot more expensive!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I completed the EV survey at the Telford Centre. Seems there are potential plans to instal chargers within one of the six car parks at the shopping centre. A new Polar rapid would be handy for me....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts