Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What would you improve in your EV experience?

• Charging control: I would like to have more control over my charging

• Charging experience: It's annoying having to download apps to charge at different charging networks

• Range: It's difficult to plan for my trips and find available charging locations on route

• Stats: Would be nice to have more data to see how I am using my EV

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I am considering to buy a Full Electric Vehicle. So far, I have read great things about EVs BUT I am here to get the viewpoint of all EV owners about what they think could/should be improved to make their life easier and their EV experience even better.

Think about it! if you could ask to improve one thing, what would it be?!?
Very interested in gathering your views on this one!
Thanks!
Gi

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
I think most people here agree that public charging is a mess, but I am not sure how your survey will help you choose an EV?

Maybe if you provided more details on your journeys and requirements of an EV we could provide more useful information on how one may or may not suit you, based on our experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easier way to charge, get rid of app, rfid card and no hassle for the user about the network.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thanks, Dave. Makes perfect sense.
I was wondering. If you have to charge on route or in public, without apps how can you find public charge points available? what do you use (if you use something at all). I think it would be really good to have one app with all the networks with all CPs/availability/prices. Is there anything available for that?
I am asking because I went to the BMW deal and they told me that to see the polar charge points I need to be in the car (or maybe it was the Nissan dealer); anyway it sounded very inefficient to me.
What's your view on this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think most people here agree that public charging is a mess, but I am not sure how your survey will help you choose an EV?

Maybe if you provided more details on your journeys and requirements of an EV we could provide more useful information on how one may or may not suit you, based on our experience.
Hi proddick. Thanks for replying to my second thread.
The thing is that I have only heard great things about EVs. Only potential problem mentioned is range.
Buying an EV is not only changing traction motor but the whole driving experience and potentially life style if you have only an EV. Just want to get the EV owners perspectives here. There must be something else that could/should be improved.
For instance: if you want to charge in public, where do you look for charge points available? price? etc. I think about myself and having to charge in public place; I am not sure where I would look for a CPs. Correct me if I am wrong!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
Yes things could be improved but are you saying you will wait until they are? Could be a long wait :)

Where you live and drive has a huge impact on how easy an EV will be for you. Some regions and towns are great, for example Milton Keynes is amazing but some are shocking.

Will you have just an EV or access to an ICE too? Lots of Leaf drivers have a backup ICE (often old) for longer journeys but some are happy to do long journeys and spend an extra hour or two stopping to charge.

The ZapMap and Plugshare apps are the best way to see charge points and which network they are on. Be careful as some are private or have limited access, for example a Toyota dealer may not want a Leaf charging there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes things could be improved but are you saying you will wait until they are? Could be a long wait :)

Where you live and drive has a huge impact on how easy an EV will be for you. Some regions and towns are great, for example Milton Keynes is amazing but some are shocking.

Will you have just an EV or access to an ICE too? Lots of Leaf drivers have a backup ICE (often old) for longer journeys but some are happy to do long journeys and spend an extra hour or two stopping to charge.

The ZapMap and Plugshare apps are the best way to see charge points and which network they are on. Be careful as some are private or have limited access, for example a Toyota dealer may not want a Leaf charging there.
Don't want to wait for the public charging infrastructure to get better....because this might never happen! heheh
If I do the big step will be total....which means I will trade in by ICE vehicle and get an EV.
For this reason, I thought: what would I need to do in case of long journeys?
I looked at ZapMap but didn't seem streamlined; Hence I was wondering from your experience if there was a better app out there for these things? and if not....I think it would be great to have one.
Hope this makes sense :)
Thanks for your replies.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
I looked at ZapMap but didn't seem streamlined; Hence I was wondering from your experience if there was a better app out there for these things?
Did you download the app on phone or tablet? I find it good - what do others think?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
As a pure EV buyer you'll soon learn the one thing you could do without is 3kW phevs. German brands, and much like the comedy holiday stereotype they are always at the chargers first, with their 3kW cable draped over the charger and the car barely charging, and the post is "claimed" for the day like every deckchair around the pool. Lol

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Zap-Map has always provided me with all the info I need when way from home.
But as others have pointed out, before making a decision to buy an EV,do a full audit of your travel needs, your real needs day to day over a year. And don't be swayed by the once a year visit to a Great Aunt 600 miles away, for that you rent an ICE.
The one thing I would like for myself is a longer range, 200 real miles in winter, in the rain at night at 60+ mph.
That said my current LEAF already covers nearly all of my journeys, the extra range would just be a bonus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a pure EV buyer you'll soon learn the one thing you could do without is 3kW phevs. German brands, and much like the comedy holiday stereotype they are always at the chargers first, with their 3kW cable draped over the charger and the car barely charging, and the post is "claimed" for the day like every deckchair around the pool. Lol
Ahaha! I can picture your scenario in my head.
This public charging thing is not streamlined at all!
What shocks me is that I was looking for easy to use app to plan a potential journey with my BEV. Couldn't find anything!
Moreover, I mean if every EV owner as a CP it would be good to be able to charge in one of these! maybe the CP owner to rent out his/her parking space and sell the electricity at a reasonable price. I would use this, wouldn't you??

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The biggest problem is the total mess of charging networks/apps/cards, no one fixing broken posts for months and passing the buck, until all this is fixed I'll stick to a PHEV. I could cope with a 200+ plus mile BEV but the Bolt is not arriving and a Tesla is out of my pocket.:(

Owning a 3kWh Phev all be it with a 40 mile range I mainly charge at home but if as in my town there are some EV parking spots with destination chargers in the town centre, I'll use them. They are to encourage use of EV's and cut down pollution in the town :). Could do with more but even on Saturday (market day) its rare to find all 6 (3 posts) in use.(y)
These have a time limit and are destination chargers for shoppers/visitors. Best to carry both a granny charger and a cable though, these are older posts.
I'd rather have an Outlander come into the town centre to shop at the market on electric, pick up enough charge on the post to leave town on electric. Its a small contribution but it all helps. There is a mix of BEV's and PHEV's using the spaces.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
On the charge on a drive, there is I believe some sort of informal web site for that, but max is a 7kWh charger and many are 3kWh (older units)
there are some on Zapmap I think.
The Zoe can be problematic on home units with a poor earth I understand - refusing to charge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zap-Map has always provided me with all the info I need when way from home.
But as others have pointed out, before making a decision to buy an EV,do a full audit of your travel needs, your real needs day to day over a year. And don't be swayed by the once a year visit to a Great Aunt 600 miles away, for that you rent an ICE.
The one thing I would like for myself is a longer range, 200 real miles in winter, in the rain at night at 60+ mph.
That said my current LEAF already covers nearly all of my journeys, the extra range would just be a bonus.
Thanks Barry. I have already done a quick analysis of my driving habits and I have to say that a Nissan Leaf would cover 95% of my driving needs.
It's just weird that in the smart world we live in there are not smarter ways to manage your charging needs.
In addition, if I charge I would like to have more info and intelligence about my charging habits, and data. But maybe this is just a red hearing.
Thanks for comment!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The biggest problem is the total mess of charging networks/apps/cards, no one fixing broken posts for months and passing the buck, until all this is fixed I'll stick to a PHEV. I could cope with a 200+ plus mile BEV but the Bolt is not arriving and a Tesla is out of my pocket.:(

Owning a 3kWh Phev all be it with a 40 mile range I mainly charge at home but if as in my town there are some EV parking spots with destination chargers in the town centre, I'll use them. They are to encourage use of EV's and cut down pollution in the town :). Could do with more but even on Saturday (market day) its rare to find all 6 (3 posts) in use.(y)
These have a time limit and are destination chargers for shoppers/visitors. Best to carry both a granny charger and a cable though, these are older posts.
I'd rather have an Outlander come into the town centre to shop at the market on electric, pick up enough charge on the post to leave town on electric. Its a small contribution but it all helps. There is a mix of BEV's and PHEV's using the spaces.
Thanks Spiny.
To be honest my understanding before joining this forum was that even if there are few public/destination charge points, no one really charge in one of them (or they are not very used). That's because people charge at home.
Is it just because charging at home is more comfortable and conventient?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
From experience:- Since I leave home each day with 'full tank' I normally have no need for away from home charging. I soon found that in reality I only make use of a small selection of charge points, details of which I carry in my head. For the occasional long journeys, which tend to be motorway, I simply visit a Motorway service area. For while I did download charging info from Chargemaster, but haven't bothered in well over a year. Similarly with Leafspy.
The LEAF is a car to be driven, not fussed over.
Buy an EV and Enjoy!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
On the charge on a drive, there is I believe some sort of informal web site for that, but max is a 7kWh charger and many are 3kWh (older units)
there are some on Zapmap I think.
The Zoe can be problematic on home units with a poor earth I understand - refusing to charge.
ZOE generally charges fine at home, it's cheaply installed public posts that can be an issue.

If you can do 95% of your trips on fag packet calculations you'll find in real world it's closer to 99%, that remaining 1% you'll be able to work around with some planning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From experience:- Since I leave home each day with 'full tank' I normally have no need for away from home charging. I soon found that in reality I only make use of a small selection of charge points, details of which I carry in my head. For the occasional long journeys, which tend to be motorway, I simply visit a Motorway service area. For while I did download charging info from Chargemaster, but haven't bothered in well over a year. Similarly with Leafspy.
The LEAF is a car to be driven, not fussed over.
Buy an EV and Enjoy!
Hi Barry, I see your point. At the end of the day what you want is to be able to charge wherever and whenever you need hassle free, considering that most of the charging will happen at home.
I read that there are companies that are thinking of providing EV owners with the option of smart charging (which is, the EV owner allows the charge infrastructure owner to start and stop charging as long as the battery level is the one required by the EV owner by a specific time) in exchange to better tariffs. I would love to do that. Would you do it? or am I missing something here?
Thanks as usual.
Gi

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,358 Posts
The only thing I would say is worth mentioning is to make it a legal compulsion on employers with employee car parks to make practical work-place charging available to anyone that wants it, with costs either absorbed, or delivered at cost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts