Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Rather uninteresting. Big, expensive, nothing particularly spectacular compared to the Model S.

Meh.

·
Super Moderator
7,266 Posts
Rather uninteresting. Big, expensive, nothing particularly spectacular compared to the Model S.

Meh.
Perhaps, but they'll sell a shitload to people who would otherwise buy a Porsche Cayenne or Range Rover Evoque. Selling a shitload with a nice healthy profit is what they need to do to get the Model 3 on the road.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts

Meh.
You say 'Meh' to Falcon wing doors!!!

I'm glad my job is too design something to impress you :p

I cannot wait to order one....Just need Mr Musk to announce a slight cheaper 75kWh version :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm sure it is great in many ways, but doors aside (which to be honest I think look a bit odd with conventional front doors) it is visually exceptionally bland. They've moved the front on, which I think looks much better than the S, but they've still got a long way to go to achieve a distinctive design language commensurate with the values and innovation they show everywhere else. Fingers crossed for the 3.

·
Registered
638 Posts
While I enjoyed the performance of the Model S and appreciate the range, the interior is quite plasticky, especially for a car in its price bracket.

If Tesla hope to compete effectively with a Cayenne or Vogue (this isn't in the Evoque price range), I hope they've made the Model X interior luxurious enough.

All pie in the sky for me, though, I'm not their target market.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like the doors. But it doesn't seem to really push things forward much. Okay, they showed you could do a big Chelsea tractor EV. But it isn't cheap, it doesn't have better range than the Model S, it doesn't charge faster... It's basically just a bigger, less efficient version of the previous car they released.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,301 Posts
I'm glad my job is too design something to impress you :p
Ok, I see there are words there, but as a sentence they appear to have no meaning. Explain please?

·
Super Moderator
7,266 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like the doors. But it doesn't seem to really push things forward much. Okay, they showed you could do a big Chelsea tractor EV. But it isn't cheap, it doesn't have better range than the Model S, it doesn't charge faster... It's basically just a bigger, less efficient version of the previous car they released.
Dual motor was developed for X (and then reverse applied to S). 90kwh pack was most likely also developed for the X and applied back. It also goes into a totally different segment, and from speaking to parents with young children it does solve a (first world) "problem" of getting kids into car seats. It'll also make a good taxi. They can sell more X's than S's, (or maybe a roughly similar amount, but double in total) so if as you say it's a small change to their existing car that doubles their sales, well, that lets them produce the model 3 twice as quickly. Why is that a problem?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
No problem, it's just not that exciting.

From Wikipeida: Meh is an interjection used as an expression of indifference or boredom. It may also mean "be it as it may".[1] It is often regarded as a verbal shrug of the shoulders. The use of the term "meh" shows that the speaker is apathetic, uninterested, or indifferent to the question or subject at hand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We like what Tesla are doing – they are kind of the Apple of the automotive market; making a big song and dance about launches and putting a lot of ‘fluffy’ bits on the car (e.g. the doors).

But isn't it these quirks things that help a brand stand out and sell its new products? For example, when the iPod was launched with those white headphones… It becomes a trademark of the brand and something they eventually find it hard to live without.

Just like we have the war of Apple v Android, it seems like we may see the war of Tesla v conventional cars in years to come…

·
Registered
991 Posts
The X just looks wrong to me when viewed from the side, it appears to have too much rear overhang that makes it look out of balance to my eyes.

But I do like that they have junked the pseudo grille of the S, that was always a design feature I thought odd and out of place.

A pity the rear view wing cameras didn't make it but that's a legislation issue I suspect.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
While I enjoyed the performance of the Model S and appreciate the range, the interior is quite plasticky, especially for a car in its price bracket.

If Tesla hope to compete effectively with a Cayenne or Vogue (this isn't in the Evoque price range), I hope they've made the Model X interior luxurious enough.

All pie in the sky for me, though, I'm not their target market.
I was hoping for exactly the same, but nope the interior isn't a big step forward :(
Like you I think it may harm the uptake for those cross shopping.

One thing I think we have to bear in mind is the S was so revolutionary when it came out. Everything was there for a practical reason (even the gimmicks like the touchscreen and door handles).

To me the X doesn't move the SUV space on in the same way the S did for the saloon cars.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
^ I have to say I've never seen the point of SUVs. It might be a gimmick but the flacon doors are the only reason I really want a Model X over a S.

For me the S is a better car, as I've said its not as heavy, quicker, just as safe, likely handles better...and if you take the 'pre-owned' cars into account a hell lot cheaper.

I guess I just have to try and ignore the little kid in me....Maybe a few hours spent looking at what else I could by for £15K will help make me realise those doors aren't worth it :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts