Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a basic question, but I did once ask a genuine rocket scientist and he didn’t seem sure.

We all know what a difference temperature makes to range, but is that the temperature when the battery is being charged, the temperature when the car’s being driven, or both? And if both, what’s the balance between them? Could make a big difference this time of year, when days can still be warm when nights are very cold.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Unless the temperature is really cold or hot (below -10C, above 40C) I don't think the battery capacities are particularly affected, though it will affect rapid charging rates.

I think the range loss thing is more to do with greater use of heater or air-con. Certainly on our car flicking the climate on/off immediately changes the GoM range by a few % before even driving off.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Some cars have passively cooled battery packs, some actively cooled and some pre-heat the pack.

So the answer is it depends what car you have, what charger your using and what you’ve been doing with the car before you charge it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Some cars have passively cooled battery packs, some actively cooled and some pre-heat the pack.

So the answer is it depends what car you have, what charger your using and what you’ve been doing with the car before you charge it.
Which all comes back to yes the temp of the cells very much matters (for health as well as efficiency) and Nissan billshitted while others managed it and continue to refine that management (while sneaking in £400 battery liquid gold coolant changes).

·
Registered
419 Posts
The results right now is a pretty complex and expensive set of heat pump, valve and software stuff to try to make a comfortable battery and comfortable humans (without steaming up Donald’s glasses). Of course unless on charge, all this ‘conditioning’ is powered by the same battery it’s coddling so a balancing act it is.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
The results right now is a pretty complex and expensive set of heat pump, valve and software stuff to try to make a comfortable battery
But aside from rapid charging this isn't a big power use until the ambient temperature is quite extreme. The OP is asking about the difference between day and night temperatures now, in the UK I assume. If you turned the HVAC off I doubt you'd notice any difference in range between those two conditions, even with a Leaf.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leaf, 40kwh. I’m thinking about when I charge at home, which is actually on the granny charger (long story, don’t ask...). I’m on the EDF tariff that gives me cheap electricity all weekend, so it’s whether it’s worthwhile charging during the day rather than at night.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, sorry, and it would probably be cold, I don’t use it every day.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Leaf, 40kwh. I’m thinking about when I charge at home, which is actually on the granny charger (long story, don’t ask...). I’m on the EDF tariff that gives me cheap electricity all weekend, so it’s whether it’s worthwhile charging during the day rather than at night.
It would make very little difference (if even measurable) at those powers.

You’d save more from going with some sort of time of use tariff.

I thought you were asking about rapid charging. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts