Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you.
I've noticed that when the speed limit is temporarily changed due to roadworks etc, the display in the binnacle and sat-nav show the temporary speed limit.
The question is, are the cameras reading the temporary speed signs, or is the car getting the information from the live info update?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chapter 5 page 111 from the PDF user manual.
The ISLW reads the
traffic signs through the camera,
which is attached on the upper part
of the inner front windshield.
The ISLW also utilizes the navigation
and vehicle information to display the
speed limit information.

So a combination of camera and live traffic information.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ISLW uses the front camera to "read" the temporary speed limit signs. It's not always very accurate, for me reading a 60mph sign off the back of a lorry, and reading a 20mph sign from the first exit off a roundabout when I've been going straight on.

@stageshoot did a test some time ago driving towards his missus who was holding a picture of a speed limit sign. 🤣 🤣 🤣

If you are using live data on your navigation (WiFi hotspot required on 2019MY cars) most long term motorway roadworks average speed check areas provide live speed limit data while you pass through them.

John.

·
Registered
863 Posts
ISLW uses the front camera to "read" the temporary speed limit signs. It's not always very accurate, for me reading a 60mph sign off the back of a lorry, and reading a 20mph sign from the first exit off a roundabout when I've been going straight on.

@stageshoot did a test some time ago driving towards his missus who was holding a picture of a speed limit sign. 🤣 🤣 🤣

If you are using live data on your navigation (WiFi hotspot required on 2019MY cars) most long term motorway roadworks average speed check areas provide live speed limit data while you pass through them.

John.
Here's the demonstration referred to carried out by stageshoot , of the picture test for the ISLW

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the demonstration referred to carried out by stageshoot , of the picture test for the ISLW
Ah . . . Should have checked the forums first before positing. :)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
This is part of the regulations agreed by various governments (including EU & USA) and all car manufacturers with regard to road pricing and speeding. Every new car is fitted with a 'black box' that knows where you are, when you are driving and how fast, amongst other things, this is to enable governments to choose how to bring in road pricing, the ' base level being a 'per mile' fee, the top level allows charging more to encourage drivers to... use a motorway or ring road rather than built-up areas, not drive in the peaks, etc. and there is the ability to charge you for driving faster than the speed limit.

The only question is when governments will bring in road pricing and how light or heavy-handed it will be. In the UK the DfT are no doubt keeping an eye on the balance of black box fitted -V- not fitted cars and the reduction of fuel duty income from BEVs.

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
427 Posts
In NZ we (EVs) are due to be charged by the kilometre starting year 2022. It will be $0.076 /km at today's rates, making it a staggering increase in running costs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In NZ we (EVs) are due to be charged by the kilometre starting year 2022. It will be $0.076 /km at today's rates, making it a staggering increase in running costs.
That's going to kill the EV market in NZ then :eek:

John.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I make that equivalent to about 0.25 GBP per kWh for a car doing about 4 miles per kWh. (Unless there's a decimal point error somewhere in the calcuation...)
That's similar to UK commercial charging rates - is that so outrageous?.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've noticed that when the speed limit is temporarily changed due to roadworks etc, the display in the binnacle and sat-nav show the temporary speed limit.
The question is, are the cameras reading the temporary speed signs, or is the car getting the information from the live info update?
I just recently noticed when I was driving in a roadworks zone where speed was limited, it nicely read the temporary speed limit sign and showed it to me, but after passing some 50-100 metres it jumped back to the original speed limit in that area. So it kind of "trusts" the speed limits from the nav more than camera.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I make that equivalent to about 0.25 GBP per kWh for a car doing about 4 miles per kWh. (Unless there's a decimal point error somewhere in the calcuation...)
That's similar to UK commercial charging rates - is that so outrageous?.
Sorry - getting confused in my old age.

I thought this was about Road Charging for use and nothing to do with Charging!

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I just recently noticed when I was driving in a roadworks zone where speed was limited, it nicely read the temporary speed limit sign and showed it to me, but after passing some 50-100 metres it jumped back to the original speed limit in that area. So it kind of "trusts" the speed limits from the nav more than camera.
It seems that if it doesn't see another speed sign for a while it then reverts to the nav number. I saw this yesterday where it snagged a 30 sign on a turning off a roundabout and then eventually went back to the 60 it should have been.
But it's always been a few hundred metres on mine, not only 50-100. Unless it's time based rather than distance.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I bought a Tomtom about a year ago with wifi updates, but did not update it all year. Last week I took it on the M4 and it amazed me by knowing exactly where the roadworks started.

·
19 Posts
Had the case of being stopped by an old style STOP/GO board a few weeks ago, I was front of the queue. When the sign was rotated my HUD reported a 60 mph speed limit ! The camera detection works but can be fooled. Made me smile as I was in a 20 mph limit area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts