Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its just been announced that Tesco and VW are to offer free electric vehicle charging at thousands of Tesco Car Parks in the UK
That's more like it!
Looks like things are looking up!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Its just been announced that Tesco and VW are to offer free electric vehicle charging at thousands of Tesco Car Parks in the UK
That's more like it!
Looks like things are looking up!
"just been announced " ??? It's been going on several months (at least). N.B. the free charging only applies to 7kW outlets; rapids will be chargeable.

·
Registered
374 Posts
They installed one of the 7 kW arrays recently at a Tesco near me, used them a couple of times this week. They're well-signposted, big spaces; four sockets between two units. Charging starts immediately when you plug in; I think there's a 15-minute grace period before you need to check in with the Pod Point app.

They're untethered, and at 7 kW they don't give many miles in the time it takes me to do a Tesco shop. But hey, free miles, I'm pretty happy. If they'd made it 11 kW (or better still 20+ kW CCS) while remaining free or cheaper than charging from home, it'd be perfect. As it is... just about good enough to bring me to a supermarket I don't normally use, but given the horrifying smell wafting over the checkouts from the nearby toilet, it's probably not going to become my regular shopping venue.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
The deal between Tesco, VW and Podpoint was announced over a year ago, but it took a while to get charging points installed. Not many sites with rapids unfortunately. Latest updates at link below

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,141 Posts
Wish they'd get around to the Broughton Park, Chester branch. It's on the same site as my local IMAX cinema.
I could suck a few free electrons while watching the latest blockbuster.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Shame Tesco is unwilling to put in clusters of Rapids like Booths have. Many Tesco stores are next to trunk roads and have cafes/wc so would make great locations for large rapid clusters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard about the team up on the local radio on Thursday and when I noticed diggers and workmen at my local Tesco supermarket garage I enquired if they were installing charge points but alas I was told they were installing a self service car wash!?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tesco also announced they have teamed up with pod points for new charging points. Having looked through the (pod point run) announcement I can see two (yes, two) charge points in Wales. Now, I am not a Welsh nationalist but live in West Wales, it's pretty rubbish. I asked them about one in Llandrindod Wells (you may be forgive, county town of Powys on border with Herefordshire), there is none there ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tescos in Llandrindod Wells, Aberystwyth, Newton and Welshpool (admittedly I am thinking about my own journeys). None of these Tesco stores have a charging point. However, I have emailed pod point to ask them about their plans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
interesting response from Podpoint when I asked them about the locations (as per previous posting here). I had a very helpful response - a link to the article online telling what they have rolled out (and completely ignoring my question). It's about time that HM Government puts some power behind their EV charging point roll out as a matter of urgency (outside the main urban areas ...).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts