Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed some construction work on my local Tesco, I live approx a 2mins walk from one.

I will be getting an electric car soon, and live in flats so a home charger is not an option.

Is there any info on "Coming Soon" chargers at Tesco? (Baldock)

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
And the funny thing is all the Tesco’s I shop at and nothing at all, not even proposed. A new Aldi have installed a 22kwh point at their store nearby though 👌🏼

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the funny thing is all the Tesco’s I shop at and nothing at all, not even proposed. A new Aldi have installed a 22kwh point at their store nearby though 👌🏼
See, I am not even sure if it is proposed at Baldock, but the works look very "Electric related". Someone here maybe able to say?

Yes I have a Aldi nearby with a point but have never been an Aldi shopper as the till experience is a bit to manic for me!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Thanks, Hopefully, as with 7Kw I can certainly Drive, do my shop have a coffee then leave!

Plus my gym has a BP Chargemaster so hopefully should not get to many issues with charging.... if not a trip to the parents for free fuel!
Coffee? Is your Tesco café open then? The one at my local Sainsbury's is still closed. If you can't charge at home that sounds really useful.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coffee? Is your Tesco café open then? The one at my local Sainsbury's is still closed. If you can't charge at home that sounds really useful.

We have a Costa Coffee, or I can just get a drink from Tesco and drink in the car.

Well we wayed it all up, I go to a Gym with a Rapid Charger, and we have a few local "free" chargers 7kw but will top it up enough for us.

Also with the around 250miles range, I do not think we will need to charge loads as we do local journeys normally.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I’d check what the fines are for overstays in Tesco car parks. A 7Kw charger is fairly slow, likely will take 5 hours to charge the average EV. Is there off street parking at your flat building? You might be able to convince the building owner to install some lower power chargers...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’d check what the fines are for overstays in Tesco car parks. A 7Kw charger is fairly slow, likely will take 5 hours to charge the average EV. Is there off street parking at your flat building? You might be able to convince the building owner to install some lower power chargers...
Well.... currently we actually do not have any “parking restrictions” I think really my gym I will use as my “main” charge currently.

Then if that is not working my parents live a 5 mins walk away (small town issues), so will get the charger installed there!

although thanks for the suggestion of building owner would love to be able to!

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
49 Posts
Tesco are really chucking them in at the moment although still nothing at my little Tesco. I think a lot of car parks in small towns are fine but the bigger ones have like a 4 hour stay. Tried one of them out at the weekend when visiting the family down south. Fairly painless and simple to use as long as you’re registered with Pod-Point.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes I have a Aldi nearby with a point but have never been an Aldi shopper as the till experience is a bit to manic for me!
Got to say the till experience is rather crappy but I tend to just pop in with a basket and then have a bight to eat and drink in the car. I can get 20% or so in half hour.
Keep us updated with regard to the works, I’ll do some digging to see if I can find more info.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to say the till experience is rather crappy but I tend to just pop in with a basket and then have a bight to eat and drink in the car. I can get 20% or so in half hour.
Keep us updated with regard to the works, I’ll do some digging to see if I can find more info.
I will keep you up to date, Thankfully we have a very large Tesco with a car park well below capacity at most times. People even park their cars to store in the rear car park..... plus with my work-life I can benefit from nipping to Tesco at 1am...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't understand the logic of these, at the smaller shops you are only likely to be there for 10 or 15 mins so the range gain will be maybe 6 miles after you have faffed about getting cable out and getting the app running. My local Tesco Metro has instaled four 7 kW points when a single 22 kW (or better stil a 50 kW) would have been much more useful.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't understand the logic of these, at the smaller shops you are only likely to be there for 10 or 15 mins so the range gain will be maybe 6 miles after you have faffed about getting cable out and getting the app running. My local Tesco Metro has instaled four 7 kW points when a single 22 kW (or better stil a 50 kW) would have been much more useful.
A Tesco Metro got one installed?

Seems rather wasteful when they could invest that into more points at a larger store....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't understand the logic of these, at the smaller shops you are only likely to be there for 10 or 15 mins so the range gain will be maybe 6 miles
The logic is that Tesco are saying, come and shop with us and we'll pay your fuel (electricity) cost to and from the store and maybe a little bit more. Nearly all of those shopping in Tesco will have travelled just a few miles or less to get there. The idea is that Tesco would hope that people chose their store with a free charger as there is no cost in going to/from the store. They are not designed to facilitate long distance travel or those without home charging, yet. Although rapids will start to be rolled out at some stores, where additional power is available, once the AC rollout nears completion. The plan is to install AC chargers at all large stores where possible and a few Metro stores, Tesco need to own the car park or get agreement from the landlord so not all locations will be possible.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't understand the logic of these, at the smaller shops you are only likely to be there for 10 or 15 mins so the range gain will...
It depends on the situation: I've charged my new car twice at a large Tesco and it's close enough to the centre of the town to wander off to the bank, Wilko, etc. I did pop in to the shop last time but it reminded me how expensive it was and how prone to confusion marketing: larger sizes more expensive pro-rata than small, reductions which weren't really. So 10kWh of power and I bought two bottles of pickling vinegar!:)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,855 Posts
The logic is that Tesco are saying, come and shop with us and we'll pay your fuel (electricity) cost to and from the store and maybe a little bit more. Nearly all of those shopping in Tesco will have travelled just a few miles or less to get there. The idea is that Tesco would hope that people chose their store with a free charger as there is no cost in going to/from the store. They are not designed to facilitate long distance travel or those without home charging, yet. Although rapids will start to be rolled out at some stores, where additional power is available, once the AC rollout nears completion. The plan is to install AC chargers at all large stores where possible and a few Metro stores, Tesco need to own the car park or get agreement from the landlord so not all locations will be possible.
Yep. Charging seems to be the new "loss leader". Anyone else remember the baked bean wars of 1996?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pah, the Pick-n-Mix battles of the 70s were legendary..

But as ever they will have crunched the numbers and if you only went in for the baked beans in the end they will still have put a value on the opportunity, the potential of up-selling you a quick bottle of prosecco.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts