Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and a Merry Christmas happy new year to all.
I wondered what your thoughts were on the Tesco chargers and there use by individuals and their EV's and should PHEVS be charging at these and other public chargers.
I am not going to divulge what happened to myself yesterday, until I get the views and experiences of others. Needless to say I was shocked by what took place and will post again later.
Dan.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
BEVs and PHEVs have equal right to public AC Charging posts in my opinion. It's the rapid chargers when my views aren't so kind towards PHEV drivers. If you can physically support rapid charging like an Outlander I can tolerate it, but if you are one of those people who plugs in to a rapid charger with Type 2 AC to only charge at 3kW for hours on end... THEN I will wish all kinds of misfortune on you and your car!

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,068 Posts
First come, first served. That's it, really.

Sorry if you had an unpleasant interaction. Most people are reasonable if approached in the right way, but we all have bad days. Some have more than others...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,889 Posts
First come, first served. That's it, really.
Agree.

Any unpleasant interaction beyond that is shared. Either the OP pushed too far, or the other side pushed back hard. The "unpleasantness" doesn't happen on it's own.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Most people are reasonable if approached in the right way
I agree with the first come first served part, but as for your second part it really depends on the driver these days. In the early days pretty much everyone who had an EV had a genuine interest and knew their stuff. You'd always have great interactions with others at the chargers and everyone was friendly.

Now it's more like a small few friendly people (mostly older people) who can have a great conversation, and generally if they are new they are very happy to learn tips like needing CCS/Chademo to be able to rapid charge, stopping around 80%, Planning routes, apps etc. Even if not getting into a full blown conversation these people are generally at least civil enough to acknowledge you and show consideration.

Meanwhile your average bellend that used to be in a BMW 3 Series is now typically in a Tesla Model 3, and is as arrogant and inconsiderate as ever. They're doing what they want regardless because they are ALWAYS right and simply making eye contact with them is enough to be considered a challenge to their ego resulting in a deluge of verbal abuse at best.

While I have encountereda number of bad eggs in PHEVs, they generally aren't actually the problem and it's the newest drivers of full EVs who are my current nightmare to interact with.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I wondered what your thoughts were on the Tesco chargers and there use by individuals and their EV's and should PHEVS be charging at these and other public chargers.
I am not going to divulge what happened to myself yesterday, until I get the views and experiences of others. Needless to say I was shocked by what took place and will post again later.
Dan.
The ones at my Tesco are 100% free to use, so no one has any rights etc here. I wouldn’t want to see someone in there not plugged in and charging but honestly even if there was and I asked politely for them to move and they didn’t..... so what. I’ll be in the shop an hour, so 7kwh at most. We’re talking 70p of electricity you’re saving here.

as for any kind of PHEV/EV hierarchy, nope. Sure, they can drive home on petrol if needed but better they drive home on batteries, as for an EV, at the shops, if you’ve planned arriving there NEEDING a charge, well that’s a bad plan. And if it’s busy, you’ll just have to wait!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any person whom is driving their PHEV using it "effectively" (as an EV; in the most non polluting way at point of use) is entitled to the same privileges (and respect) as any other EV user in my view.
So sorry you suffered an upsetting incident.
Deborah.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
BEVs and PHEVs have equal right to public AC Charging posts in my opinion. It's the rapid chargers when my views aren't so kind towards PHEV drivers. If you can physically support rapid charging like an Outlander I can tolerate it, but if you are one of those people who plugs in to a rapid charger with Type 2 AC to only charge at 3kW for hours on end...
This.

Tesco 7kW posts are free to use. They are usually close to home. Unlike many public charge posts, they make sense for PHEVs.

·
Banned
843 Posts
BEVs and PHEVs have equal right to public AC Charging posts in my opinion. It's the rapid chargers when my views aren't so kind towards PHEV drivers. If you can physically support rapid charging like an Outlander I can tolerate it, but if you are one of those people who plugs in to a rapid charger with Type 2 AC to only charge at 3kW for hours on end... THEN I will wish all kinds of misfortune on you and your car!
Agree. We have 6 EV chargers at our small local Tesco's. Happy for PHEV or BEV to use them. Only ever seen 3 in use at any one time, i always plug the Volt in when i use Tesco, which is not often, and i only live 4 miles away by road, and don't need the charge. But these are destination chargers. But 50% of the time one ot two spots are iced as they parking for the EV charging is very close to the store.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Dan.
Spill the beans, we love a good argy bargy EV vs the world story for Xmas. I will get popcorn.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,108 Posts
Yes, they're there for everyone to use. Never seen ours (2 stores) ICE'd, but there's time yet.

Only ever seen 3 in use at any one time,
Absolutely amazed a couple of days ago. When I arrived 3 of the 4 were taken. Usually it's just me and they are empty. As I left I saw a Leaf in a parking bay. I don't know if he/she was expecting to get a charge.

There is a white GTE that seems to belong to a staff member because it sits there all day, but no worries on that. There's a Learning School one who I've met before sits until it's full as the owner lives not far away.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will now explain my reason for starting the thread. I have read the comments and fully understand them. I have been a BEV user for 18 months and still learning.
I have never charged on a fast charger, but I understand that if I did it is accepted practice to charge up to 80% then let others get a charge. I normally only charge at home at 7kWh. I have only charged once at Tesco and the car gained about 2% so I won’t bother again.
At Tesco there are 4 chargers at 7kWh and yesterday only one space was vacant, I noticed a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV charging and later in the day it was still in the same charging space and plugged in. A woman was exiting the door and I politely asked her if she worked at the Tesco store, answer was yes and how long the vehicle had been there, answer was 8 hours. I thought she was out of order and when I said this she laughed in my face and said it was none of my bloody business, and she always left it on charge there for as long as her shift was, either 8 or 4 hours.
Her vehicle should charge 0-100% on a 7kWh charger in 3.5 hours so why leave it standing there for 8 hours denying others use of the charger. Why not move it after it has charged.
This has now got me wondering how many other Tesco employees are doing the same thing at other Tesco sites, at the detriment of Tesco’s customers.
I phoned Tesco customer service and was informed that the chargers are for Customers and staff but my comments would be noted.
Now here are a couple of thought’s would she be so keen to charge it there if she had to pay say 35p a kWh or would she charge at home on a cheaper rate.
Also, if I left my car there charging from say 10% walked home and then went back for it about 8 hours later, saving myself around £8 would Tesco say I was out of order and taking the P.
Just out of interest, does anyone on this forum do that?
Dan.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,108 Posts
This has now got me wondering how many other Tesco employees are doing the same thing at other Tesco sites, at the detriment of Tesco’s customers.
See my post above. (y)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I went to Tesco Burnley late last night (avoid the covid crowds!).

I saw a Leaf in the carpark on my way in, and an I-Pace on my way out, yet neither used the chargers. I did and was the only one doing so.

I think these chargers are available to all on an equal basis. They're only 7kW units so they're not going to give you oodles of "free fuel". If you're an EV driver in distress then there's a much better chance you're going to head for a Rapid charger. The 7kW chargers basically give you a similar benefit in 1hr of shopping as a "5p off a litre" coupon that supermarkets have long given out to those that do a big shop.

However, the OP's story is a case where the vehicle should not be there. I'm pretty sure that Tesco want these units to be available for customers, but if they are available to an employee too then that's fine, but leaving the vehicle blocking the charger after charging is complete is totally out of order (in this case - there are use cases, eg station carparks, where it's simply not possible to move the vehicle). What happens if 4 employees on the same shift have some kind of PHEV/BEV? Then the charger will never be available to customers!

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,108 Posts
Also, if I left my car there charging from say 10% walked home and then went back for it about 8 hours later, saving myself around £8 would Tesco say I was out of order and taking the P.
Also in quote above. I had a chat with the owner and he wasn't a bit concerned. I don't think Tesco would be happy to hear that he's financing his business on their electricity. TBH it is rather underused, but I don't think that's going to last much longer.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts