Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The Pod point chargers at the various Tesco stores appear to be down (Pod Point Twitter post) I can confirm that at the Sunbury On Thames Tesco, the charges are blocked off with cones.

Thanks

Kihon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some of the Tesco/Pod-Point chargers are in a daft place for a charger, like in the middle of the car park right outside the store entrance. Making them very prone to ICEing and people walking between the cars to get to the store entrance.

There is a suggestion that someone, not looking where they were going, probably looking at their phone, tripped over a cable.

The chargers should be placed on the edge of the car park, away from the store entrance.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Some of the Tesco/Pod-Point chargers are in a daft place for a charger, like in the middle of the car park right outside the store entrance. Making them very prone to ICEing and people walking between the cars to get to the store entrance.

There is a suggestion that someone, not looking where they were going, probably looking at their phone, tripped over a cable.

The chargers should be placed on the edge of the car park, away from the store entrance.
The chargers can be placed anywhere. if some willy womble has tripped over one then i hope they got a good crack out of it for not looking where they were putting their feet. Cutting between cars has risks and they obviously didn't think about it or look.
All car parks say things along the lines of "use this car park at your own risk" they accepted that, end of. Not Tesco, PodPoint or an EV drivers fault. Would you blame the driver of a car if that person who tripped up walked out into a main road without looking properly? No you wouldn't :)

This is one reason why i
  • Have my cable coiled and never resting on the ground but in the air
  • Have my car parked close enough to any charger(rapid/fast/slow) so that no one can walk between it and the charge/bollard as they end up rubbing against the car and marking it(or cleaning the dirt off which still marks it.

Simple problem, Simple Solution. Let eejits be eejits i say :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
FYI tescos official line last night was pointing towards podpoint to gain an answer and podpoint aren't giving any technical reasons as to whats going on. Is there maybe an electrical issue and not a darwinian based one thats the cause, shorting or overloads maybe? Maybe someone got a shock or some kids played with the socket and got some free electrons into them :D

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,999 Posts
Since it only seems to be Podpoint installs at Tesco affected, maybe it's a billing issue?
Maybe Tesco are quibbling over the price of electrons?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
They've probably run out of VW's money and realised that at some point they are actually going to have to start paying for things.

I can see Pod Point going the way of ChargeYourCar and entering into a depressing demise of lack of funding due to a flawed business model soon ?

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
2,697 Posts
All coned off in Crawley too - the rapid is actually switched off, the slower chargers still seem to be switched on.

Being handled extremely badly by Pod Point - ALL of the connectors are showing as online even for the rapid which is actually switched off. Nothing more than a generic “due to unforeseen circumstances the chargers aren’t available” poster on the chargers. The out of hours team know nothing, but that’s no change from usual. Really, really bad service.

·
Registered
438 Posts
They are not very good are they?

I checked Tesco's in Taunton today, all they have is two 7kw chargers with two connections on each, one unit larger than the other but still only 7kw.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The chargers can be placed anywhere. if some willy womble has tripped over one then i hope they got a good crack out of it for not looking where they were putting their feet. Cutting between cars has risks and they obviously didn't think about it or look.
All car parks say things along the lines of "use this car park at your own risk" they accepted that, end of. Not Tesco, PodPoint or an EV drivers fault. Would you blame the driver of a car if that person who tripped up walked out into a main road without looking properly? No you wouldn't :)

This is one reason why i
  • Have my cable coiled and never resting on the ground but in the air
  • Have my car parked close enough to any charger(rapid/fast/slow) so that no one can walk between it and the charge/bollard as they end up rubbing against the car and marking it(or cleaning the dirt off which still marks it.
Simple problem, Simple Solution. Let eejits be eejits i say :D
Silly post. Anyone could miss seeing a cable and trip when it's dark. It might happen to even you one day.

Reactions: rogerdee

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
They've probably run out of VW's money and realised that at some point they are actually going to have to start paying for things.

I can see Pod Point going the way of ChargeYourCar and entering into a depressing demise of lack of funding due to a flawed business model soon ?
There was speculation last October that EDF were looking to aquire Pod Point.

I reckon its telling that planetpolitic doesn't appear to have posted here for over a year now. (For those that might not know he oversaw the Lidl charger implementation for Pod Point.)

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Tesco chargers at Lincoln are on a double parking row, in the middle of the car park. They should put a barrier down the middle in this case to stop people cutting through. I always try and tuck my cable away wherever I'm charging, but it's impossible to remove the trip hazard completely, so part of any install should be to remove / restrict random foot traffic from the area.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Silly post. Anyone could miss seeing a cable and trip when it's dark. It might happen to even you one day.
So all those black coloured bollards get missed at night as well? Thats a lazy response.
If you cant look where your going day or night then you shouldn't be let out.
People need to open their eyes and trying to blame others for their own short comings & mistakes.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
So all those black coloured bollards get missed at night as well? Thats a lazy response.
If you cant look where your going day or night then you shouldn't be let out.
People need to open their eyes and trying to blame others for their own short comings & mistakes.
Sorry, I haven't seen any Tesco/Pod Point instsllations. Should you check on the maps you'll note there are no Tesco ones in this area (as usual.) Must be a Tescos decision as Pod Point don 't normally install them in the middle of car parks.

As for tripping over cables. Not everyone is aware of the possibility of them being there yet. Should it be night time a dark coloured charging cable really is not obvious, even if you're looking for hazards. The elderly and frail are particularly vulnerable and unaware. Even you might get to be like them some day! You seem to presume that everyone is fit and able and has A1 eyesight (hopefully like yourself) but that isn't necessarily the case.
As for suggesting people who are elderly, frail and don't have the best eyesight shouldn't go out shopping after 4pm in winter you just have have to be kidding. You must live in a very strange place if that's what people in your area think. What a strange and selfish lot over there. Not only do they hog the chargers you wish to use but they apparently have an 'I'm alright Jack, I couldn't care about you' attitude. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Cloudbase

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Pod-Point I use is down too, lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just visited my local Tesco, Plymouth Roborough and a PodPoint van was leaving.
All chargers on and working, so maybe not the trip hazard problem causing the shut down.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Not being funny but there could be anything on the floor, I'm not just saying it could be a cable. It could be a branch from a tree that's fallen, some rubbish, a tangled up plastic bag... All sorts and not looking is not an excuse for laziness.
The frail and infirm don't tend to squeeze between cars and tend to stick to easier access ways/paths

·
Registered
Ioniq
685 Posts
Those things haven't been put there intentionally though. Yes, everybody should look out for themselves, but someone who intentionally creates a trip hazard is not blameless.

If I went out on a dark, rainy night and left a giant pile of black cable around a blind bend on an unlit road would I be entirely blameless if someone crashed into it? They should only be driving as fast as they can see to stop, after all.

·
2,697 Posts
Please can we try and keep this post on topic?

We all know that common sense is rapidly becoming a lost art in this country and is rapidly being replaced by the ridiculous American "blame anybody but me" approach, but this topic is about Pod Point randomly removing access to chargers from their network and failing in any way to handle the situation with any level of competence.

It would have been extremely easy for Pod Point to find a list of people who regularly use Tesco chargers and email them saying they are being taken offline for maintenance between given dates. It would have been even easier for them to simply email all of their app users saying that all Tesco points are being taken offline for scheduled maintenance between given dates.

I have had both Chargemaster and ChargePoint Genie do this in the past. It is simple, basic customer service and it works.

However, Pod Point chose to do the sum total of absolutely nothing. They just slapped some bits of paper on the chargers and put some cones out. The very least they could have done is to mark the chargers as offline on their app - but they couldn't even be bothered to do that. They should have briefed ALL of their call handling staff on what was going on - but they didn't do that either.

Pod Point are running a public charging network. Whether they like it or not, they have chosen to provide part of a national infrastructure that is relied upon and must be managed competently. So far as I can tell - and irrespective of whatever their reasoning is for it - they have completely failed on this occasion.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts