Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if Tesco (and other supermarkets) have access to their chargers even when stores are closed?
I can see how they would only want you to charge if you were shopping, but I’m thinking of when I might need an “emergency” charge and the store is closed (and bays less likely to be in use?)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just curious to know if Tesco (and other supermarkets) have access to their chargers even when stores are closed?
I can see how they would only want you to charge if you were shopping, but I’m thinking of when I might need an “emergency” charge and the store is closed (and bays less likely to be in use?)
Thanks
Not many Tesco stores have a closed car park out of hours. Indeed most of the 'Extra' stores were until Covid open for 24 hours and will no doubt revert to that one day.

Possible that they might have some sort of time switch to disable chargers ? Unlikely - it would be an extra cost and something to go wrong; you'd think they'd also need to display a notice about available time.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Most Tesco stores are staffed 24hrs even if the store isn't open, there's a lot that goes into unpacking the day's deliveries. (This is one reason they can justify keeping the store open 24hrs in non-COVID times, because it's not much incremental cost when you need the lights, air con etc on for the staff, just keep a few checkouts running.)

I would think you could plug in and use it, but be prepared to be challenged by a security guard if one is present.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
One issue is with parking monitoring. If you're required to go into store and log your reg details then you'll get one of their invoices. Quite a few have been caught out this way. But if the ban on using ANPR for this purpose goes ahead then it will be harder for them do it as it would need an actual person to record the incident.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Most Tesco car parks are monitored and run by private parking companies and will have a two or three hour parking limit. If you stay longer than the limit you can expect an invoice from the company that operates the parking scheme, usually monitored by ANPR. Look for the signs dotted around your local Tesco car park which will explain the parking restrictions and the overstay fee.

The chargers will be available 24 hours but you will still be subject to the 2 or 3 hour restriction whether you shop at the store or not. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Just curious as we will usually charge at hubby’s work, but might need to top up at the end of a long journey in order to get him to work the next day, or to see us through a weekend.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Thanks. Just curious as we will usually charge at hubby’s work, but might need to top up at the end of a long journey in order to get him to work the next day, or to see us through a weekend.
Not sure why you’d want to spend a couple of hours “topping up” after a long journey in a car park. Why not plan a rapid DC charge somewhere on the way back that would get you home with enough charge to then make the next days journey to work where he can charge as slowly as he likes.

Perhaps tell us the car type and the rough journey details and someone here would look at that and give you suggestions.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We live 5 min walk from Tesco. If we’d been on a long trip with enough to get home but not enough for the rest of the weekend, I’d want to maybe drop hubby and the kids home to get them into bed and then pop round to Tesco to leave the car for a couple of hours (likely when it’s v quiet so not blocking the space unkindly).
Then hubs would take the car to work on the Monday.
This situation might occur once or twice a year... I’m an over planner 🤪
So I was really just checking that stores don’t shut off their points when they close the doors.
Is it always the case that you have to go in and give your reg number when you charge or am I misunderstanding?

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
451 Posts
They have a gate which is closed by 10pm I think at my local Tesco so no after hours charging. You need to spend a £5 to get 3 hours free parking (and access to the chargers).using the parking meters (currently disabled as touch screens)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
One issue is with parking monitoring. If you're required to go into store and log your reg details then you'll get one of their invoices. Quite a few have been caught out this way. But if the ban on using ANPR for this purpose goes ahead then it will be harder for them do it as it would need an actual person to record the incident.
What's getting banned? ANPR parking fines? Like, all ANPR parking fines? Oh happy days!! :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My local Asda has Pulse - 1.20 to connect, then free and no parking time limit - HOWEVER the parking sign says no parking outside store hours

The local Tesco has a 90min limit, another one 1mile away 3hrs - so I think it is safe to say they are ALL different. Go and read the sign board really carefully, check how it’s monitored, do they lock the gate etc. I have not heard of the chargers being turned off after hours though....

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
What's getting banned? ANPR parking fines? Like, all ANPR parking fines? Oh happy days!! :D
Councils can't use ANPR for parking enforcement so they were on about stopping it being by PPCs as well. Whether it happens or not as Crapita own Parking Eye and it will basically bankrupt PE and I'd think they'd chuck money at the Tories to avoid that happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Tesco's near me is unlimited, unmonitored parking so it is a bit of a lottery.

Councils can't use ANPR for parking enforcement so they were on about stopping it being by PPCs as well. Whether it happens or not as Crapita own Parking Eye and it will basically bankrupt PE and I'd think they'd chuck money at the Tories to avoid that happening.
Don't know if it's just me but I've seen a few ParkingEye car parks stop being monitored in recent years (i.e. cameras and signage removed), don't know if that's anything to do with ParkingEye's new owners since Capita sold them a few years ago (ParkingEye sold for £235 million as ticketing reaches record levels)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
693 Posts
It does depend on the store somewhat, ie some are not monitored at all, some are 3 hours, some are 2/3 hours (usually if they are close to town/city centre) but you need to spend £5 in-store and validate your parking

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a charger near me at an IKEA however you can only access it when the store is open due to physical barriers being in place

·
Registered
187 Posts
There must be lots of parking areas around that are only used during the day when businesses are open. Some of these are near residential areas. It could be useful if these were provided with destination chargers that local residents, without off street parking, could pay to use for overnight charging. A hefty overstay fee could be used to ensure users moved their cars before start of business. Rapid chargers would be more appropriate for most out of town supermarkets and shopping centres, park and ride sites would benefit from a lots of of destination chargers and a few rapids.

·
Registered
Zoe Q90
158 Posts
Be wary of parking restrictions and don’t trust the signage at the charging stations. The Tescos near us have signs at the charge points saying ‘electric vehicle recharging point only - no parking at any time’, yet the parking operator still seems to think that their parking restrictions apply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts