Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
................ But you have to own a Tesla Powerwall to apply!

Surprised no one has posted this? But then i'm a Tesla shareholder and get lots of Tesla videos' though my youtube feed. This may sway me to add a Powerwall now to my Solar in a few years, especially once Home energy storage prices start dropping, as they appear to be the same as 2017 at present. Will have to do the man maths. But seems a no brainer if you already have a Tesla Powerwall?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
24 Posts
Yeah, I got an email earlier this week about it as I own a PowerWall but I am in the process of getting SEG from Octopus at the moment. I was waiting for that to finish before messing around with changing it.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
This product has been around for well over a year. It's just that a load of US sites picked up on it this week and thought it was a new thing, so suddenly it's getting loads of new attention.

It has nothing to do with owning a Tesla vehicle. You basically have to have Octopus as a supplier, a smart meter and a powerwall, and you surrender control of your powerwall to Octopus who can instruct it to charge or discharge as needed to perform grid balancing functions. You don't even need solar.

The benefit for the homeowner is cheaper electricity prices, so obviously it is going to appeal to heavy electricity users like EV owners.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This product has been around for well over a year. It's just that a load of US sites picked up on it this week and thought it was a new thing, so suddenly it's getting loads of new attention.

It has nothing to do with owning a Tesla vehicle. You basically have to have Octopus as a supplier, a smart meter and a powerwall, and you surrender control of your powerwall to Octopus who can instruct it to charge or discharge as needed to perform grid balancing functions. You don't even need solar.

The benefit for the homeowner is cheaper electricity prices, so obviously it is going to appeal to heavy electricity users like EV owners.
Interesting, i had never heard of it, and i'm with Octopus.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,951 Posts
It doesn't compare well with integrating with Agile yourself, or even Go (although there is no export under Go).

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
24 Posts
Looking into it, it's a flat rate of 11p/kWh if you have just a PowerWall, and 8p/kWh if you have a Tesla car as well. And that price is for both import and export. On top of that, there is no standing charge.

So the export is definitely better than any other SEG (5.5p/kWh for Octopus), but the import of 11p is above the average for Agile or Go most likely. You also save 21p/day not having a standing charge. If you can chop and change quickly, then it might be worth doing it in the summer when I am generating more solar PV and export more often, but for winter I would probably stay on Agile (because I can't get the Octopus SEG with Go, not that it would make a massive difference for me).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Signed up before I'd realised Octopus intend to discharge my battery at peak times (4-7pm) and charge overnight. Considering there's a 10% loss in the charge/discharge process, this means I'm covering that cost for Octopus.

I thought we'd just get paid for our usual export and just pay for our import when the solar/powerwall don't cover it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts