1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
96 Posts
I received an email from Tesla last week offering me a quote for solar + power wall with Octopus. When I applied I was told they couldn't quote in my area even though I am currently with Octopus. Maybe this application from Tesla is something to do with overcoming regional issues.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I wonder if this is required to roll out their Virtual Power Plant to the UK?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,807 Posts
I wonder if this is required to roll out their Virtual Power Plant to the UK?

That'd be my best guess

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like this is probably why...
Tesla aims to be bigger in Energy than Auto.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It's a chemical battery version of Dinorwig, which according to Wiki can store 9.1GWh Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia Interesting on that page it mentions plans for another pumped water storage system. Wonder how that compares in build price to the Tesla solution?
Well it has less cycling issues over its life time as you can keep refilling the head and bottom ponds easily, and it's a good way to make use of excess wind power during the nights as well as excess solar during the summer days too.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It's a chemical battery version of Dinorwig, which according to Wiki can store 9.1GWh Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia Interesting on that page it mentions plans for another pumped water storage system. Wonder how that compares in build price to the Tesla solution?
Dinorwig is also cheaper than batteries. About £1Bn in today's money.

At the famed $100 kWh price, and with sufficient buffer (using 15GWh for 10GWh useable), you'd be looking at £1.2Bn on cells alone.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,701 Posts
Dinorwig was built for a single purpose. To cover the massive surge as millions of kettles go on during the Coronation Street ad break.

The downside to replicating it is to find a spare mountain that the treehuggers won't mind being hollowed out.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Dinorwig was built for a single purpose. To cover the massive surge as millions of kettles go on during the Coronation Street ad break.

The downside to replicating it is to find a spare mountain that the treehuggers won't mind being hollowed out.
Correct, Dinorwig was NEVER about energy storage, there was plenty of coal power that could be turned up and down. It was purely about the transients.

There is a good to go bulldozer ready STORAGE project at Coire Glas: just needs a sensible government to put in place the correct and sensible pricing structures.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Correct, Dinorwig was NEVER about energy storage, there was plenty of coal power that could be turned up and down. It was purely about the transients.

There is a good to go bulldozer ready STORAGE project at Coire Glas: just needs a sensible government to put in place the correct and sensible pricing structures.
There's plenty of gas that can be turned up and down now. Why is Coire Glas any different? 30GWh is useful, but that's still only an hour of normal grid demand.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
There's plenty of gas that can be turned up and down now. Why is Coire Glas any different? 30GWh is useful, but that's still only an hour of normal grid demand.
30GWh of storage would be a game changer. One needs to look at the statistical variance of demand / supply imbalance to understand why. It's not about the gross number only.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is this the sort of thing he intends to do in the UK?

A 25-megawatt battery-based energy storage system has been connected to the electricity grid to store surplus power from wind and solar plants.

Located in a field near Taunton, it works by buying and storing electricity when it is cheap and then selling it at peak demand for a profit.

Battery bank generates cash for frontline services

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Is this the sort of thing he intends to do in the UK?

A 25-megawatt battery-based energy storage system has been connected to the electricity grid to store surplus power from wind and solar plants.

Located in a field near Taunton, it works by buying and storing electricity when it is cheap and then selling it at peak demand for a profit.

Battery bank generates cash for frontline services
Sort of. But instead of a single site, which wouldn't require them to be an energy provider, they likely intend to coordinate the use of domestic storage to provide a larger Virtual battery that meets the demands of the grid.

Still, these batteries of this smaller size aren't really storage, they're balancing services for small and rapid fluctuations in generation. I don't believe they even bid for STOR contracts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sort of. But instead of a single site, which wouldn't require them to be an energy provider, they likely intend to coordinate the use of domestic storage to provide a larger Virtual battery that meets the demands of the grid.
I've never been convinced about home battery storage. There are no economies of scale, and most houses weren't designed to accommodate large bricks so for many it's a sacrifice of useful space. I'm convinced it's better to get the economies of scale by having much larger storage sites, probably co-located with substations, and arrange for a contractual relationship with those homeowners that wish it that mimics what they'd get if the battery storage were on their own properties. So for people with a lot of solar generation, they can still benefit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've never been convinced about home battery storage. There are no economies of scale, and most houses weren't designed to accommodate large bricks so for many it's a sacrifice of useful space. I'm convinced it's better to get the economies of scale by having much larger storage sites, probably co-located with substations, and arrange for a contractual relationship with those homeowners that wish it that mimics what they'd get if the battery storage were on their own properties. So for people with a lot of solar generation, they can still benefit.
Don't forget that Tesla also have access to a large number of electric vehicles that have the potential to be used as grid batteries with the correct updates and charging hardware.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I am expecting at some point for all Tesla cars to have built in inverters thst can provide power to the grid as well as power to a house when there is a power cut.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts