Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Morgan Stanley Research analyst Adam Jonas that is, his words have been pulled out (and pulled apart) by the LA Times (link below). But the key part is the following:

Not even two years after the delivery of the first Model S, Tesla Motors has transformed from fledgling start-up to arguably the most important car company in the world. We are not joking... Tesla is also emerging as an emblematic force in America's effort to foster high tech manufacturing job growth.
I think this shows how their new and different approach is making waves across the wider industry as well as "the markets", and that's got to be good for the EV world at large, hasn't it?!

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-most-important-automaker-20140620-story.html

·
Leaf lover
4,739 Posts
I've been holding back checking the "like" button just in case this looked a bit silly but I think it is safe to do so now.
Paul, I hope you haven't taken umbrage over the lack of comment to this thread as you have been rather quiet of late.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
People know that I am no Tesla fan and don't like the Model S and it is looking like I may not like the Model 3 either... nevertheless, I feel that Tesla is important. Even if it ultimately fails (jury is still out as far as I am concerned) it will have set the bar level to which other manufacturers need to aspire to and so in that respect I kind of agree with the general sentiment of that headline.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Tesla is prey to the vicissitudes of the Stock Market! If it makes a series of bad business decisions the vultures will savage the share price and borrowing to develop models / build factories etc. will dry up!

Tesla doesn't deserve to fail - it's had visionary and forceful leadership that has made huge strides in EV design and production. Tesla has gives other manufacturers a 'good kick up the ass' and has made Goverments look vacuous!

Everyone in the EV community has a vested interest in Tesla's survival - even if we never buy one of their products. As someone has said Tesla has 'raised the bar' - if other companies cannot match the technologies, performance and pricing of the Tesla - they deserve to fail!

Tesla has chosen to do make the Tesla 3 - the 'do, or die' product and I'm concerned that they have raised production expectations well above what is realistic. It has thrown caution to the wind and has promised a product, that is expected to go from concept, to large scale production, in only 3-4 years! It's totally unprecedented!

Tesla will be living on a 'knife edge' until Tesla-3 becomes a reliable, high volume product. I have no hesitation in supporting Tesla - but I'm a long way from investing in It!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Selfishly I too want Tesla to survive. However I echo @OBrian in thinking they are sailing close to the wind.

The crux of their survival in the next 3 years is the ongoing stimulus going into the financial markets by governments worldwide desperately looking for true p+l to mature into some of the crazy multiples on silicon valley businesses, so actually it's a fairly safe bet.

The day Yahoo! dies will be the signal to get out IMHO ;)

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Yahoo is still alive?? :eek::eek:

Reactions: Simon Mac

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
The fact that 1/4 million people have stuck $1,000 down (or more in local currencies) gives Tesla a lot of leverage with Investors. That's a clear sign of heading toward $10bn of revenue just on the current order book. Ignoring all the future... I'll order when I can test drive one crowd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts