Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Storm Dennis was brutal in the southern part of UK, but it didn’t stop Tesla’s Autopilot from working, and seemingly saving 8 lives. There were two Tesla Model X vehicles involved in an accident caused by Storm Dennis blowing down a 400-year-old oak tree into the paths of these vehicles. The crazy thing is that when the tree fell, each Tesla was on the opposite side of the other. They were coming from opposite directions.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
It’s a chance/freak occurrence, for sure, but what it has to do with autonomous braking I’ve no idea. The occupants are very lucky though.

It has everything to do with publicity though, right?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In this day and age you'd think someone would have a picture of the aftermath at least.

And the author's bio at the bottom says: "Johnna Crider is a Baton Rouge artist, gem and mineral collector, and Tesla shareholder who believes in Elon Musk and Tesla."
So a Tesla fan apparently living in LA giving a miracle report on a UK incident which hasn't featured in our news that I've seen.
Forgive me but my Mr Cynical alter ego is going to handle this one :)

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
It’s a chance/freak occurrence, for sure, but what it has to do with autonomous braking I’ve no idea. The occupants are very lucky though.

It has everything to do with publicity though, right?
Because the car braked so the tree didn't come down on top of the car. As reported by the driver.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Amazingly it appears to be true. Have only ever seen 1 model X in Dorset so for 2 to be in the same place at the time of an incident like this is extraordinary.

The line about saving 8 lives in the OP is made-up PR obviously. As there were no road deaths attributed to the storm, how many 100s of lives must have been saved by the braking systems of other makes of car...?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had seen this also online advertised by The Sun & Daily Mail, with pictures

The driver thinks if it weren't for the car braking autonomously, (as he didn't) they would've travelled that bit further & been squashed - this makes sense
(This may have happened to other car makes, but so far no reports)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Because the car braked so the tree didn't come down on top of the car. As reported by the driver.
The dash cam footage should clear up what actually happened I guess.

Looking at the aftermath video on The Mirror website, I’m still undecided how much is ‘tree falling on to the cars’ and how much is ‘the cars having driven into them’...?

Tesla Autopilot saves family's lives after tree crushes car in Storm Dennis

My only conclusion right now is that it’s impossible to say what part the AEB played unless you also know the speed of the vehicles. A bit slower, and they might have stopped short, a bit faster and who knows.

I think they were just bloody lucky!

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
Apart from the statements from the drivers?

But they're probably just Tesla fanboys, so their opinion should be ignored. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Apart from the statements from the drivers?

But they're probably just Tesla fanboys, so their opinion should be ignored. ;)
Probably, yes. ’Man in £86k car purchase justification shock...’

I would say the same about any car in these circumstances.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Interesting how the Tesla PR machine got hold of this story. Even in our local paper (which I linked to earlier), it's definitely a Tesla story, not just a storm story. Did Tesla's big brother software detect two emergency braking incidents at the same time and the same place, and flagged this up for the PR team to investigate? If so...can you switch off this sort of tracking???

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
Interesting how the Tesla PR machine got hold of this story. Even in our local paper (which I linked to earlier), it's definitely a Tesla story, not just a storm story. Did Tesla's big brother software detect two emergency braking incidents at the same time and the same place, and flagged this up for the PR team to investigate? If so...can you switch off this sort of tracking???
Where is your evidence that this was put out by Tesla?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Where is your evidence that this was put out by Tesla?
Only circumstantial. This is the original story in our local paper. It could be that the driver called the paper but I suspect he was prompted by Tesla. "Elon Musk has done us proud" is one of his quotes, not that he's a fanboy or anything ?

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
Only circumstantial. This is the original story in our local paper. It could be that the driver called the paper but I suspect he was prompted by Tesla. "Elon Musk has done us proud" is one of his quotes, not that he's a fanboy or anything ?

You really don’t know much about Tesla. They spend zero on advertising, so why would they be calling up a local newspaper?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Storm Dennis was brutal in the southern part of UK, but it didn’t stop Tesla’s Autopilot from working, and seemingly saving 8 lives. There were two Tesla Model X vehicles involved in an accident caused by Storm Dennis blowing down a 400-year-old oak tree into the paths of these vehicles. The crazy thing is that when the tree fell, each Tesla was on the opposite side of the other. They were coming from opposite directions.
It has nothing to do with Tesla, just coincidence and luck. It says the "...also applied Automatic Emergency Braking to save the lives of the couple inside just in time."

Well, today and for the last 15 years I think EVERY car sold in Europe must have an emergency brake by default. My Citroen C3 which I bought 15 years ago had that function, just like the other six different cars I had since the C3, none were Tesla. Also, both Tesla have actually crashed into the tree, so it was sheer luck that the people survived, because the cars were stopped by the tree, not the emergency brake system.

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
Well, today and for the last 15 years I think EVERY car sold in Europe must have an emergency brake by default. My Citroen C3 which I bought 15 years ago had that function, just like the other six different cars I had since the C3, none were Tesla. Also, both Tesla have actually crashed into the tree, so it was sheer luck that the people survived, because the cars were stopped by the tree, not the emergency brake system.
You’re thinking of ABS, which is not the same as AEB.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You really don’t know much about Tesla. They spend zero on advertising, so why would they be calling up a local newspaper?
Of course I know they spend zero on advertising. They certainly don't spend zero on PR though!

And obviously they didn't call up the local paper. They either told their fanboy to call the paper or the paper picked it up online. Our local paper don't have the staff to have found this story for themselves. The days of beat reporters in local papers are long gone.

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
They certainly don't spend zero on PR though!
Again, you have evidence for this?

I think occasionally they write a blog post.

They either told their fanboy to call the paper or the paper picked it up online.
Probably blackmailed him. It's not like fanboy would have the initiative to call the paper himself. They're all sheep.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts