Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 182 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now here's something that really did happen as stated. Wonder if we'll see this promoted all over Tesla fansites?

What happened to the front of that car? Split in two parts...? Also, it looks like there was a fire also. Is that still a problem for Tesla? In case we survivable a crash we die in the fire...? Is that because the liquid cooled hot battery burst into flames when the cooler suddenly disappears from the cooling system? Also, how could such an accident happen? Doesn't the car have a "driver attention alert system" based on a camera watching the driver's eyes and sensing that he is not alert and is not holding the steering wheel? I thought that such systems were by regulation compulsory in every new car.

A tragic accident but the way I see it, one idiot less on the planet, and luckily no one else was hurt. I mean, playing video games while driving... only an idiot with too much money and too small brains do that.

...but there is also another type of story... I have a colleague who's life was saved by his Tesla. While driving on a motorway, he got a heart attack and fainted. The car got to a halt at the side of the motorway, people passing seen it, stopped and helped to bring him back to life. He is well now (happened two years ago), and he said he will never to buy any other brand than a Tesla in the future.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
What happened to the front of that car? Split in two parts...?
The large metal crash attenuator in front of the barrier, which is supposed to help deflect some of the kinetic energy of a moving car, had been fully crushed 11 days before during a different crash. Investigators found that California’s transit department hadn’t fixed the attenuator, despite an estimated repair time of “15 to 30 minutes” and an average cost of “less than $100.” This meant Huang’s Model X essentially crashed into the concrete median behind the attenuator with most of his car’s kinetic energy intact. - Link

And..

California transportation officials had fitted the concrete barrier with a crash attenuator—the aforementioned accordion-like metal device that's designed to absorb the impact of the vehicle and allow it to come to a (relatively) gradual stop. Each time someone crashes into the barrier, maintenance workers remove the damaged device and install a new one. But the state doesn't get this work done instantly.

The November 2015 crash happened six weeks after a September 2015 crash in the same spot. Without the protection of the crash attenuator, the driver died. Huang's March 2018 crash happened just two weeks after another crash in the same spot. Again, without the protection of the crash attenuator, Huang died.

And there may have been more that transportation officials could have done to prevent crashes in this particular location. The lane lines ahead of the crash location were not well maintained. California officials could have put stripes across the "gore area" that leads up to the concrete lane divider. With better markings, Tesla's Autopilot software might not have gotten confused.
- Link

Also, it looks like there was a fire also. Is that still a problem for Tesla? In case we survivable a crash we die in the fire...? Is that because the liquid cooled hot battery burst into flames when the cooler suddenly disappears from the cooling system?
Despite the violent hit, Huang initially survived the crash. (He was also hit by one car from behind.) A number of cars stopped on the highway. Multiple people called 911. A few drivers and one motorcyclist approached Huang’s car and helped pull him out because they noticed the Model X’s batteries were starting to sizzle and pop. After struggling to remove his jacket, they were able to pull Huang to relative safety before the Model X’s battery caught fire.
Paramedics performed CPR on Huang and performed a blood transfusion as they brought him to a nearby hospital. He was treated for cardiac arrest and blunt trauma to the pelvis, but he died a few hours later. -
Link

As with all cars with batteries, when the pack is punctured it can possibly start flaming, this is a slow and very different kind of fire than say a petrol fire. - Link, Link Or you can go all-in like the dutch did with this i8

Also, how could such an accident happen? Doesn't the car have a "driver attention alert system" based on a camera watching the driver's eyes and sensing that he is not alert and is not holding the steering wheel? I thought that such systems were by regulation compulsory in every new car.
There are of course different ways to monitor if a driver is paying attention or not and none of them will be very good at it, Tesla's particular system tracks torque on the steering wheel as eye tracking was proven (at least by themselves) to not be effective. - Link

The NTSB found some issue with this, but to be honest, this was a regular driver well aware of the limitations who was regularly trying to circumvent the system - Link

A tragic accident but the way I see it, one idiot less on the planet, and luckily no one else was hurt. I mean, playing video games while driving... only an idiot with too much money and too small brains do that.
Agreed -and somehow the NTSB is also blaming Apple for not telling their employees to pay attention when driving? - Link :)

...but there is also another type of story... I have a colleague who's life was saved by his Tesla. While driving on a motorway, he got a heart attack and fainted. The car got to a halt at the side of the motorway, people passing seen it, stopped and helped to bring him back to life. He is well now (happened two years ago), and he said he will never to buy any other brand than a Tesla in the future.
Those stories do not get the same amount of exposure so here we are. Personally my experience is that it is the best out there, however, overly-protective if i need to complain.

That said - nice video of incapacitated autopilot handling - Link

181 - 182 of 182 Posts