Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
maybe if the same incentives were introduced here we would see similar update in EVs

Free parking, bus lane useage and free use of toll roads and bridges

Imagine if someone who has to cross dartford or the M6 toll ever day were given the chance to stop paying those when they chose their next car, what would that do for EV up take

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
maybe if the same incentives were introduced here we would see similar update in EVs

Free parking, bus lane useage and free use of toll roads and bridges

Imagine if someone who has to cross dartford or the M6 toll ever day were given the chance to stop paying those when they chose their next car, what would that do for EV up take
Imagine if the UK gov. and local governments were truly enthused and unabashed about EVs... How different it could all be.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
a reduction in VAT or other duties are a one time hit, however free parking or free use of tolls/Bus lanes keeps on reminding the owner why they chose an EV.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is one very compelling reason why Tesla are so popular in Norway, and that is the price. As you mention Jon, there is no (or nearly zero) VAT on a car. When a standard Mondeo costs in the region of £50K new, and a Model S is the same price, there's no argument!

Plus, not only are the tolls and bridges free, so are the ferries...

My brother-in-law (who lives in Bergen) says there are a plethora of used Model S's for sale - because they all want to upgrade to the latest models. So that will no doubt impact on the residual values.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,675 Posts
Cannot imagine same incentives working in UK, some people are jealous enough as it is, bus drivers would be up in arms :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Norway's demographics, size and their powerful 'sovereign wealth fund' all conspire to make owning gas guzzlers crazy expensive. They can afford to make pure-EVs almost tax-free as a result.

I'm sure the UK could do the same but it would mean putting up the price of almost every non-EV to compensate for a shortfall to the treasury. People would turn up with pitchforks at the Houses of Parliament and the government would back down in the face of that kind of backlash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carbon tax...
The Norwegians are playing a canny game. They get most of their electricity from hydroelectric schemes and so are keen to export as much of their hydrocarbon resources as possible. Encouraging ZE cars is one way of helping.

Norway aiming to ensure all their cars are zero emission by 2025

I read somewhere that their sovereign fund produced a return last year greater than Norwegian GDP. Shame we didn't do the same in the North Sea oil boom rather than squandering it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have read somewhere that Norway is considering reducing some of the benefits, like free ferry, and the use of the bus lanes, as there are more Teslas blocking the bus lanes etc etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts