Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I thought they already did this.
Isn't that kind of essential for something that calls itself Autopilot?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what sort of increase in rear end accidents cars fitted with this experience in the UK. Or will it just be tuned to jump the lights if it's in the first five cars after the lights turn red? ;)

·
Registered
16,846 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what sort of increase in rear end accidents cars fitted with this experience in the UK. Or will it just be tuned to jump the lights if it's in the first five cars after the lights turn red? ;)
Maybe it can just spot the lights changing and slowly brake for them?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Which autopilot system were you thinking of that stops for ‘lights’?
The Tesla one ... obvs :)

After all the cahooey over the last couple of years with its abilities I'm just surprised this wasn't already a thing. It seems it's a lot less capable than I'd thought and thus a lot further from autonomy too.

·
Registered
16,846 Posts
The Tesla one ... obvs :)

After all the cahooey over the last couple of years with its abilities I'm just surprised this wasn't already a thing. It seems it's a lot less capable than I'd thought and thus a lot further from autonomy too.
If you read their website it’s fairly clear what it does.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Some of the biggest challenges faced by self-driving / autonomous is the interface with inconsistent human beings. The acceptance of them will be comprised if there is a perception that they cause accidents, even if they were not to blame.
When four wheel brakes became standard in the 1920s (rather than rear wheel only) there was a movement to require them to be clearly marked because of the danger of them stopping too quickly.
There is a widely quoted figure that until > 40% of vehicles are autonomous they will reduce average speeds and impair traffic flow. It'll be interesting to see how the public accept that, and issues such as obeying the laws on traffic lights will further wind up certain elements.

·
Registered
16,846 Posts
When four wheel brakes became standard (rather than rear wheel only) there was a movement to require them to be clearly marked because of the danger of them stopping too quickly.
That's going back a bit. I'm struggling to think of a car that didn't have brakes on each wheel?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Just about all vehicles built before WW1, but few built after 1928.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts