Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a couple of new TESLA charge points on my travels (one in Exeter recently) and was wondering....are these only compatible with TESLA vehicles i.e. they are outside the realm of all the usual suspects like CYC and chargemaster etc etc?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Superchargers? The ones which are like an arch?

Only Tesla model s compatible.

Other manufacturers are entitled to build cars to suit but only if they play by Tesla's rules and no one is, yet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Noticed a couple of new TESLA charge points on my travels (one in Exeter recently) and was wondering....are these only compatible with TESLA vehicles i.e. they are outside the realm of all the usual suspects like CYC and chargemaster etc etc?

Thanks in advance
Most EVs including Tesla's will charge from most charger designs out there at present, which are predominantly AC based.

The superchargers you're referring to are very high powered at fairly hefty 135 kW DC. At present, these can only work with the esoteric ultra high DC current path inside a Model S pack. Except for 50kw Chademo chargers, all other charge networks are AC.

At some point in the future its possible that another car manufacturer will engineer a sufficiently beefy battery charging system to use superchargers, but to avoid reinventing the wheel they'll probably have to use Tesla's existing designs and specific cells to be churned out by Tesla's forthcoming Gigafactory.

You'd think BMW or Audi would be the first to the table with something compatible, but they seem to be doing their absolute best to keep a straight Teutonic face and pretending they invented all things EV and hybrid and are probably contemplating how to do their own thing, somehow. Good luck to them with that ..

Battery tech, charging speed and charging methods are evolving way faster than Darwin could have forecast !

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Most EVs including Tesla's will charge from most charger designs out there at present, which are predominantly AC based.

The superchargers you're referring to are very high powered at fairly hefty 135 kW DC. At present, these can only work with the esoteric ultra high DC current path inside a Model S pack. Except for 50kw Chademo chargers, all other charge networks are AC.

At some point in the future its possible that another car manufacturer will engineer a sufficiently beefy battery charging system to use superchargers, but to avoid reinventing the wheel they'll probably have to use Tesla's existing designs and specific cells to be churned out by Tesla's forthcoming Gigafactory.

You'd think BMW or Audi would be the first to the table with something compatible, but they seem to be doing their absolute best to keep a straight Teutonic face and pretending they invented all things EV and hybrid and are probably contemplating how to do their own thing, somehow. Good luck to them with that ..

Battery tech, charging speed and charging methods are evolving way faster than Darwin could have forecast !
CCS also uses DC, but I haven't seen an implementation over 50kw.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts

My first guess would be Mercedes actually ;)

The B class does use a lot of Tesla parts after all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts