Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a Tesla S for just over 4 years. The computer has completely crashed - making the car unusable - with the first Tesla phone operator I spoke to saying this has happened numerous model S’s and 3’s and seems to intimate there was an issue with the computer systems at Tesla.
I’ve also heard from friends that they know of others that this happened to.

To replace they are charging over £2000, they won’t communicate directly regarding the issue but but rather send SMS’s and e-sign emails.

it all seems rather unorthodox especially as they avoid any direct conversations or explanation. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
This could well be the problem with the flash memory wearing out, the "eMMC". It's like a memory card for your phone or camera but inside the Tesla computer. It wasn't designed for all the data they write to it so it fails, often just outside of warranty.

So if that's what it is then it's a design defect. You would obviously expect a car to last longer than 4 years before needing a major, expensive part that stops it being used replaced. Your consumer rights come in to play and you can expect Tesla to pay for the repair or at least most of it. You will probably have to argue it with them though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rei. They send automated messages to agree the work & costs before they fix the car and make is impossible to speak to anyone In their service centers about the issue. The costs their demanding is the price of a small car!
Appreciate your response!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely agree! Unfortunately I work full time in central London, currently 7.30/8am -6/ 6.30pm. It’s 2 hours I don’t have - I planned on going in in the weekend and they were closed!

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Well, if text message conversations aren’t working you could send and old fashioned letter. Might get you somewhere.

Someone on the UK owners group may be able to help with a contact at Tesla UK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair point...Although not entirely sure they would read it as to date they have been incapable of reading / responding to an email! (& They don’t actually have text conversations rather automated texts!) It’s been 2.5 weeks of calling their call centers daily. I will obviously have to take time off to go up to the centre however cancelling clients to do so is yet another expense... very frustrating (& a little worrying) from a “high end” car brand.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
It can be frustrating if you have a non-standard issue.

If you book it in for the repair then you can have a text message conversation with a human. Or discuss it with them when you take the car in.

This may not be optimal for them, but that’s their issue.

I know at West Drayton they have a technical guy who’s job it is to troubleshoot issues like this. He will come out and speak to you as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s already in for repair - I had to get AA to tow it in. It’s been in there over 2 weeks And I can’t get anyone there to talk to me - they don’t do text or phone support.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
That's bad. Hence I'd write to the head of servicing.

As I say, the Tesla Owners Group may have his email.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts