Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Enlighten me?
Plenty of posts about this already, so I'm surprised you don't know.

The chargers are installed and electricity paid for by the land-owner in pretty much all cases. So it's up to them who charges there, not Tesla.

In almost all cases, at least one destination charger can be used by a non-Tesla with Type 2 socket. I know because I use them all the time with my Zoe.

Tesla provide EVSE hardware free to some hospitality and retail businesses, in exchange for putting the destination on the Tesla navigation maps. The fact they put their logo on the unit seems to upset you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think I read elsewhere that its a simple dipswitch in the charger that lets it decide whether to be ‘open’ or locked to Teslas. And that Tesla when discussing with companies installing in their facilities, recommends that if there is more than one charger, one should be kept locked to Tesla and one open. Not sure what their preference is for single chargers

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I read elsewhere that its a simple dipswitch in the charger that lets it decide whether to be ‘open’ or locked to Teslas.
Yeah, tried that. Not true unfortunately.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are checking out places as possible holiday destinations for the time when the restrictions get lifted and have been looking specifically for hotels and bed and breakfast places that have chargers. One hotel we looked at made it clear that they had three Tesla destination chargers and that one of the three could only be used to charge Teslas so that fits with the above.

I don't know whether Tesla were installing free destination chargers at hotels here but they did install loads of them for free at hotels in the US so all the hotel has to supply is the electricity. I've used these a few times when I was using a Tesla there but have no idea whether they were locked to only work with Teslas or not. Every other car I saw using them was a Tesla but then Teslas were also very common there anyway so much so that I do not remember seeing any non-Tesla electric cars at all there apart from thousands of Toyota hybrids.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,435 Posts
the hotel has to supply is the electricity.
I wonder if any hotels charge for this. Imagine them offering to fill the tank of your ICE every night for free!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder if any hotels charge for this. Imagine them offering to fill the tank of your ICE every night for free!

The one we have looked at charges a flat rate of €5 to use the chargers which may or may not cover the electricity cost I would guess. As more and more people get electric cars and start to choose places to stay that have charging over places that do not then I think that there is also value for any place that has a charger as they may get bookings that they would not of got otherwise. Getting just one or two extra bookings a year from having a charger available could cover the cost of the thing.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts