Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yes - how is this any less safe than for example the Tesla Chademo adaptor that many Tesla owners use? That also carries much larger current.
The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter answers those three points:
  • It is a "smart" adapter, with onboard electronics that communicate with the chargepoint using The CHAdeMO protocol and the car using Tesla's protocol to ensure end-to-end agreement on the current to use. I believe it also has temperature sensing to detect any overheating.
  • The CHAdeMO plug locks into the adapter and the adapter locks into the car.
  • The adapter is waterproof (it's actually filled with potting compound on the inside).
And from a legal point of view, it's supplied by the vehicle manufacturer an used in accordance with their instructions, so transferring liability to them, as compared to the AC cable adapters where most manufacturers explicitly state "do not use extension cables or adapters".

·
9,719 Posts
Yes - how is this any less safe than for example the Tesla Chademo adaptor that many Tesla owners use? That also carries much larger current.
Its approved and rated by the CHAdeMO association as being compliant and within the expected lifecycle and tolerances of use.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
Or evbitz.uk/EVBitz.uk/T2_T1_Cables.html ADP6.
Nice reboot of a 2016 thread.

Using an unapproved adaptor might be borderline acceptable at your home where it might only injure or kill your family or friends, but I don't think using one on a public charger is a good idea.

If anyone is planning to use one, I suggest they check their insurance company will cover the liability when using an unapproved adaptor to charge.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
Using an unapproved adaptor might be borderline acceptable at your home where it might only injure or kill your family or friends, but I don't think using one on a public charger is a good idea.
Killing family and friends is ‘borderline’ acceptable where you come from? Cool. (y)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tesla's Type 2 plug also has a temperature sendor and a UHF tranciever inside it which allows it to communicate with the car (although whether this is an alternative to the usual analogue comms which happens over the CP cable connection or not I don't know).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice reboot of a 2016 thread.
If anyone is planning to use one, I suggest they check their insurance company will cover the liability when using an unapproved adaptor to charge.
I really don't understand why people make such an issue over reviving old threads if there is something relevant to add. Surely the whole point of having these things persist on the interweb is to allow someone researching the same subject to find it and learn from it. Why, then would you want to stop the researcher learning the latest relevant information? Completely illogical to my mind, I'm afraid!

I am fully in agreement with your overall sentiments but, do you imagine people who use 1.5mm2 extension leads (99% of the domestic extension cable market) to charge their EVs bother about insurance liability? This is a *far* more likely scenario for a serious negative situation to develop and yet, has there yet been a *single* reported incident of injury resulting from EV charging?

It is, like everything in life, a question of risk management. In this case the risk is exceptionally low compared to the very high convenience factor.

All the adaptor does is extend the Type 2 cable's conductors by a very short distance. There is zero electrical difference that the EV sees other than a tiny amount of extra resistance at the point of contact between the Type 2 male plug pins and Type 2 female plug's ones. If the adaptor's cable is rated at 32A, all charging currents are covered.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
Killing family and friends is ‘borderline’ acceptable where you come from? Cool. (y)
Yeah, we spend so much time in Florida we have been engrained into the American way and also leave loaded guns lying around :D [It was meant to be tongue in cheek and an emjoi might have helped]

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts
I really don't understand why people make such an issue over reviving old threads if there is something relevant to add. Surely the whole point of having these things persist on the interweb is to allow someone researching the same subject to find it and learn from it. Why, then would you want to stop the researcher learning the latest relevant information? Completely illogical to my mind, I'm afraid!

I am fully in agreement with your overall sentiments but, do you imagine people who use 1.5mm2 extension leads (99% of the domestic extension cable market) to charge their EVs bother about insurance liability? This is a *far* more likely scenario for a serious negative situation to develop and yet, has there yet been a *single* reported incident of injury resulting from EV charging?

It is, like everything in life, a question of risk management. In this case the risk is exceptionally low compared to the very high convenience factor.

All the adaptor does is extend the Type 2 cable's conductors by a very short distance. There is zero electrical difference that the EV sees other than a tiny amount of extra resistance at the point of contact between the Type 2 male plug pins and Type 2 female plug's ones. If the adaptor's cable is rated at 32A, all charging currents are covered.
There is no harm in rebooting old threads, but many members won't have read the original posts so will start with first post as unread. Due to this it can get confusing if they start seeing very outdated info.

I agree that extension cables are also a risk and we don't know if there have been any incidents - people aren't likely to make a song and dance over something they did wrong. We know of several fires in USA.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
There is no harm in rebooting old threads, but many members won't have read the original posts so will start with first post as unread. Due to this it can get confusing if they start seeing very outdated info.

I agree that extension cables are also a risk and we don't know if there have been any incidents - people aren't likely to make a song and dance over something they did wrong. We know of several fires in USA.
Your position reminds me a little of the US banning Kinder Eggs (because they’re highly dangerous), yet defending the 2nd Amendment to the death, despite how many toddler homocides every year?

I’m not sure use of an adaptor is any more dangerous than say a second hand Type 2 off eBay that you don’t know what the previous owner did with it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts