Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear Tesla owners

Have you tried the Tesla destination chargers in Hotels?
are they really free?
Do the hotel owners give you grief/ask higher price?
Are they usually working/available?

many thanks for your answers!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hello dear Tesla owners

Have you tried the Tesla destination chargers in Hotels?
are they really free?
Do the hotel owners give you grief/ask higher price?
Are they usually working/available?

many thanks for your answers!
Yes, I've used quite a few.

It's even influenced my decision to stay at a particular hotel before.

They are free, usually they are for guests of the hotel, however. I suppose if you went to have a coffee inside without being a guest you would still be fine.

Are they usually working? Well, that one I cannot be too confident in giving an answer because I have come across some that aren't or are giving a reduced level of charge. They are not as reliable as superchargers but "usually working" is probably a fair way of putting it.

Why are you asking?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've used quite a few.

It's even influenced my decision to stay at a particular hotel before.

They are free, usually they are for guests of the hotel, however. I suppose if you went to have a coffee inside without being a guest you would still be fine.

Are they usually working? Well, that one I cannot be too confident in giving an answer because I have come across some that aren't or are giving a reduced level of charge. They are not as reliable as superchargers but "usually working" is probably a fair way of putting it.

Why are you asking?
I am doing high mileage every week and spend a couple of days in hotels per week. There are a few with charging stations in the vicinity where I work at a reasonable price ( same price per night but a few miles further away)

so If I could save £250 a month on fuels just by using these, then it is a reason to prefer a Tesla and replace my diesel ( already got a Leaf for my wife )

That been said, I got a bit concerned about Tesla range after reading - few minutes ago really - the What Car real range review as my destination is 170 miles from home plus distance to hotel, I need something that will have at least a comfortable 250 miles range

What Car? Real Range: which electric car can go farthest in the real world? | What Car?

have to say though that these free chargers are quite an incentive

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts
Remember that the Tesla destinations charger work for all Type 2 EVs in the whole.

So not just an argument to buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
There are usually 2 or more split with some only working with Tesla and some working on any EV. They’re availability is pretty mixed though, I’ve stayed places where they’ve been great, and places where they were put in, turned off and/or constantly blocked. Some are also set to a really slow rate, not much better than a 3 pin plug. I’ve also been to places where they’re not got a Tesla charger but another. make which are better respected as it’s down to the ethos and will of the hotel management. You can’t rely on them that’s for sure, and after 250 driving, especially in winter, you need a guaranteed charging option.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
992 Posts
I am doing high mileage every week and spend a couple of days in hotels per week. There are a few with charging stations in the vicinity where I work at a reasonable price ( same price per night but a few miles further away)

so If I could save £250 a month on fuels just by using these, then it is a reason to prefer a Tesla and replace my diesel ( already got a Leaf for my wife )

That been said, I got a bit concerned about Tesla range after reading - few minutes ago really - the What Car real range review as my destination is 170 miles from home plus distance to hotel, I need something that will have at least a comfortable 250 miles range

What Car? Real Range: which electric car can go farthest in the real world? | What Car?

have to say though that these free chargers are quite an incentive
I’m confident in saying that the Tesla Model 3 Long Range can do a lot better than What Car suggests. I’ve been averaging 4 miles per kW since I’ve had mine without any attempt to alter my driving style. If I’m gentle 5 miles per kW is quite doable. I expect this to drop a bit in the winter.

I’d recommend looking at EV Database for more realistic range estimates. It has the LR at 285 miles and the SR+ at 210.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I've used hotel Tesla destination charge points a few times. One hotel (Burgh Island) doesn't charge for them, and has three (one dedicated to Tesla's only, two for any Type 2 car). Two other hotels we've stayed at have charged a fixed price of £5 for using their charge points. One hotel we stayed at in Bath (the Royal Crescent) offers free charging and valet parking, so you don't even need to plug your car in, you get it back fully charged.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah don't trust those Whatcar ranges.

You'd have to drive like a moron in -5 degree temperatures to get that bad of a range from a SR+, especially now they have the heat pump.

My old 240 miles quoted 2019 SR+ can get more miles than that in the winter.

In the summer 230+ is achievable if not breaking the speed limit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts