Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about or seen Tesla's destination chargers at hotels or other public places in Europe (including UK)? I think the program was supposed to start in Q2 2015 but I haven't seen -any- sign of it...

·
9,719 Posts
There is a hotel owner on here who is having a HPC and Pod-Point unit installed via destination charger scheme - can't find the thread. Think it was going to be either this month or early next year...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Jack,

that's not what I'm talking about - I meant the original Tesla "home" type chargers. Link to Tesla website, talking about the US.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't recognize HPC, but that's indeed what I was looking for. So that's one in Europe ;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Has anyone heard about or seen Tesla's destination chargers at hotels or other public places in Europe (including UK)? I think the program was supposed to start in Q2 2015 but I haven't seen -any- sign of it...
Q hotels website talks of Tesla Superchargers installed at
  • Norton Park
  • The Park Royal
  • Tankersley Manor
and of course I guess you could consider the Superchargers at Bluewater shopping centre a sort of destination charger ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q hotels website talks of Tesla Superchargers installed at
  • Norton Park
  • The Park Royal
  • Tankersley Manor
and of course I guess you could consider the Superchargers at Bluewater shopping centre a sort of destination charger ;)
Hello Roy,

that's superchargers, I'm specifically looking for Type 2 chargers installed by Tesla's "destination charger" program. See the link in the third posting in this thread, second posting by me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hello Roy,
that's superchargers, I'm specifically looking for Type 2 chargers installed by Tesla's "destination charger" program. See the link in the third posting in this thread, second posting by me.
Indeed - I note from the map there is nothing in Europe with that classification at all.
But I do recall some spokesman from Tesla many months ago saying they were adopting a different approach to Tesla chargers in the UK, but I never heard that expanded on.
To be honest I would prefer they focus on filling the holes in the Supercharger network - eg East Anglia / Wales / Scottish highlands

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
The EU destination charging network won't start being built until there's an EU Wall Connector. Apparently the first batch they received in the early Autumn weren't up to scratch so manufacturing had to be restarted.

I'm told that about 150 sites in the UK have registered to have destination chargers. The "standard" install will be 1 or 2 Tesla points (which will be tethered, and probably will only work with Teslas) and an accompanying Podpoint untethered Type 2 for public use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm told that about 150 sites in the UK have registered to have destination chargers. The "standard" install will be 1 or 2 Tesla points (which will be tethered, and probably will only work with Teslas) and an accompanying Podpoint untethered Type 2 for public use.
Yes, Georg said last night in Manchester that Tesla have 160 agreed sites in the UK for destination charging, just waiting for the actual chargers. He couldn't give a date for when they would be available.

·
9,719 Posts
If the charger is marked Tesla Only, it won't work with other Type-2 vehicles even if the plug fits. There are 3 in our parking, 2 Tesla and 1 any BEV, the 2 Tesla marked ones will not start a charge on my i3, but work with a Model S just fine.

I suspect a slightly modified pilot signal.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
If the charger is marked Tesla Only, it won't work with other Type-2 vehicles even if the plug fits. There are 3 in our parking, 2 Tesla and 1 any BEV, the 2 Tesla marked ones will not start a charge on my i3, but work with a Model S just fine.

I suspect a slightly modified pilot signal.
Really? That's an interesting development.

The Wall Connector installation manual doesn't suggest there are any settings or dip switches or other configuration options to make them Tesla only (despite previous rumours that they would have a setting of this kind).

·
9,719 Posts
Really? That's an interesting development.
I spent 20mins testing the other week. Car picks up the connector and from the screen in the i3 it looks like it gets stuck at negotiating a charge rate from the charger. Its interesting to note that even on the "allowed" unit, it takes much longer than a normal charger to complete the comms stage.

They definitely aren't broke either, both have been used by Tesla drivers.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
400 Posts
These findings are the same as mine - the unit is definitely on - all connectors in the plug are present, but it will not negotiate a charge.... I even tried resetting the unit cheekily!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I charged our Zoe on a Destination charger at Tesla Manchester the other weekend. Took a couple of attempts to get it working. In the end I think the process is (for the Zoe at least)

Plug in charger to Zoe
Wait for Zoe to latch the cable
then press the button on the Destination charger plug handle (you must press the button or it won;t start the charge)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts