Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just phoned my favourite country hotel to book a birthday lunch for my dad. When I hung up Google (I assume - it's an Android phone) had identified the hotel as "Tesla Destination" - wtf?

If I owned a business I wouldn't want to be used to promote Tesla in this way (I phoned the manager back and told them - they were, of course, bemused!).

Has anyone else seen this, or, better, know if there's money changing hands behind the scenes to cause this to happen?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
They've probably got a Tesla destination charger as a way of attracting customers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've probably got a Tesla destination charger as a way of attracting customers.
They do have a destination charger and I'm sure they have it to attract customers but I'm also sure they didn't sign up to Google hijacking their business name and replacing it with Tesla on the android phone of everyone who call them?

This isn't the biggest deal in the world, I realise, I was just surprised to see my phone's way of recording the call I'd made. I am genuinely curious though as to whether Tesla pays them to do this or not!

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
Probably just the Google AI working overtime. But if you will allow them to track you by owning an Android phone...

Just don’t go plugging your Zoe into the Tesla chargers, TAGL. ;)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm not sure why you're complaining? For years EV drivers have been pushing to get chargers into hotels and for Google and the map services to highlight where these chargers are. Now here Google actually does something helpful for you (as an EV driver) by telling you there are chargers at the hotel you searched for so... I don't see the problem? No, Tesla won't have paid for this. No, they are not for Tesla drivers only (as a minimum they have to install 2 chargers, one for Tesla and one for anyone else, Type 2). Most likely it's a 3-phase 16A unit so you'd get a good 30+ miles/hr charging rate.

Thank you Google, thank you Tesla and thank you forward-looking hotel chain. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I might have misread, but I don’t think the gripe is that Google maps (correctly) labelled the hotel as having a Tesla destination charger. The complaint is that the phone automatically labelled the contact, in the phone app, as “Tesla Destination” rather than “Forward-looking hotel chain” or whatever. Less than helpful if it happens with various different hotels and your list of contacts gets clogged up with rubbish.

First-world problems and all that, but a bit irksome I guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have misread, but I don’t think the gripe is that Google maps (correctly) labelled the hotel as having a Tesla destination charger. The complaint is that the phone automatically labelled the contact, in the phone app, as “Tesla Destination” rather than “Forward-looking hotel chain” or whatever. Less than helpful if it happens with various different hotels and your list of contacts gets clogged up with rubbish.

First-world problems and all that, but a bit irksome I guess.
Yes Chutney, it was the contact being labelled as Tesla that prompted my question. As you say, a first world problem, and as cah said, probably just some definitely non-sentient AI getting ahead of itself :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Depends what app is linked to your phone book

when you get an app and agree to them accessing your phone then it will use a database to make a linkage

if you google the number what happens?

JJ

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
It is nothing to do with Google maps AFAIK. The latest Android dialer can do reverse lookups for numbers not in your contacts, but Google's database can create some odd results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts