Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what state and federal laws are on this - if you take someone's money, and realize it's a mistake, and then still refuse to work credibly to return it.
Tesla double-charged some customers for new cars, leaving them desperate for refund details
Published Mon, Mar 29 20214:47 PM EDTUpdated Tue, Mar 30 20216:09 PM EDT
Lora Kolodny
@lorakolodny

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does this actually count as news?
In 20+ years of following the industry, I've seldom seen such seemingly anti-customer behavior on the part of one of the companies. This includes the mixed-anti-customer attitudes of the established automakers in the 90s as they postured partly-disingenuously that they were interested to know of customers' interest in EVS.

It wouldn't be that big a deal if Tesla simply corrected the matter, but the real problem is their anti-customer attitude once the mistakes are discovered. That's what needs addressing. So, yes, it is very much news, but no, it doesn't have to be a big deal. Tesla could easily remedy the situation.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In 20+ years of following the industry, I've seldom seen such more disgusting un-forgiveable anti-customer behavior on the part of one of the companies. This includes the twisted anti-customer attitudes of the established automakers in the 90s as they postured partly-disingenuously that they were interested to know of customers' interest in EVS. As it happens, I do know someone personally whose family was impacted by this. Tesla's behavior in that matter was as bad as in the articles. As it happens, it's the one company that already enjoys the advantage of not having to go through the traditional dealer distribution system, and here they are living down to some of the very worst concerns about their behavior to customers.

It's extremely unlikely to happen, but in the ideal, there would be swift civil penalties and regulatory action against Tesla, sufficient immediately to remedy the situation and to provide for some appropriate payment (such as interest and fees to address financial reputation repair), for all impacted customers. In the ideal, there would also be discussion of possible criminal charges (isn't that what would happen if I took someone's money, discovered that it's a mistake, and then decided not to return it?).

It wouldn't be that big a deal if Tesla simply corrected the matter, but the real problem is their anti-customer attitude once the mistakes are discovered. That's what needs addressing. So, yes, it is very much news, but no, it doesn't have to be a big deal. Tesla could easily remedy the situation.
Did you hear about what VW did with their emissions?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
From what I heard, the same as what Fiat/Chrysler, Hyundai, Suburu, Renault/Nissan, Ford, Daimler, Honda, Ssangyong, Toyota, Volvo, Mazda, GM, BMW, PSA and JLR did. Yet people only seem to remember VW...

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. And did you hear about the extraordinary civil and criminal penalties against VW? Tesla's disrespect for these customers in this latest round is a less serious matter by orders of magnitude (almost anything would be), but it also should be discussed and addressed, ASAP.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lora Kolodny spends her life writing anti Tesla articles. I'm not saying this isn't true, but any small issue relating to Tesla negative customer experience, will find its way into a Lora Kolodny article and blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Lora Kolodny spends her life writing anti Tesla articles. I'm not saying this isn't true, but any small issue relating to Tesla negative customer experience, will find its way into a Lora Kolodny article and blown out of proportion.
Thanks. I am not familiar one way or the other with that byline. I came across the issue before I realized that, as it happens, I know someone (albeit peripherally) who went through this. My understanding is:
  • It very much is true
  • was a rough time
  • It did get resolved, but that Tesla was not that helpful.

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard to answer from afar the big question of how difficult Tesla may have still made it on some customers even after realizing what was going on, but it's still good to see them addressing the issue.

Cash, Back: Tesla gives refunds to double-charged customers
Some customers paid twice for the same car, but they've since been made whole
by Matthew Guy | 2 days ago

1 - 10 of 10 Posts