Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you all probably know me as the "hogger" (...;-), her are a few experiences from our UK trip.

First of all, we have had a great and hazzle free trip. It's overall been so great that we would do it again tomorrow. I (we) did 4100 km's of which the 1400 was inside the UK. Here are a few comments:

1. driving from Copenhagen to Dunkirk and for the rest of western Europe up till almost the end of Norway is piece of cake and really great now. SC's are in place and working great in most places across the grid - so go for it! You can even get to burn some tyre on the german autobahn, don't forget the speed zones though..;-)

2. MY UK charging experiences are great overall. It started on the Dunkirk-Dover ferry, we tried to charge (they provided great help) but it didn't work either on red CEE or Blue CEE. I suspect it's a grounding problem.

2. I used Ecotricity chargers at Maidenhead, Southampton (Ikea), Exeter and at M25 junction 6. All great, although we can only charge with 22KW. However, adding 110 km/h to your battery is still great, so a good book and lots of Costa coffee will do it.

3. I only charged once on a home socket, 7 km/h - not great, but for a whole night it gives you the 75-80 kms you used in that day.

4.Of 6 x charging we only met three other cars charging. At junction 6 on monday, I gave the charger to a leaf without power that came in after having been stuck in the M25 traffic jams same as me. He needed it, although I missed my ferry and thereby also ability to charge at Ikea in Gent in Belgium. Ah, what the heck.

5. Overall on 4100 km's my Wh/km ended up at 203. Pretty nice! - And all for free! You might think Brittish country roads give low Wh/km, but they don't. Many main roads are very narrow, speeds are pretty high and the landscape is "bumpy" - lot's of up and down. And you can't just economize up hill when you have a tail of cars behind you.

6. On the Dutch motorway I managed 122 km/h for 75 miles at 198 Wh/km - that's very good! In heavy rain north of Hamburg, this SAME speed used 268 Wh/km! - So be aware if you take long trips and think you know your cars Wh/km usage - soaking roads will add up to as much as 50%!

7. Overall maybe the grid for charging is good enough, but it could be better. Now we didn't use zerocarb locations (B&B's etc.) which we could have except for the wonderful EDEN project, but still. BTW I informed all places we stayed at to get in touch with Zerocarb and get a charger - absolutely necessary if I should come back..;-)

Hope you all have great experiences with your Model S, I believe it's the greatest car yet! Weeel, - I did try and sit in a Bentley Moulsanne - If someone gave that car to me I'd seriously consider swapping back to ICE!

·
1,577 Posts
Henrik,

Thanks for the narrative...I've only done a trip from the factory to Sonoma Wine Country back to Southern California (approx 750 miles) and LA to Vegas all in one country, so not nearly as adventurous as your trip.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for initiating an interesting thread.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
What a brilliant write up, and thanks very much for sharing on Speak EV. It's great to prove that Tesla drivers are humans and EV enthusiasts too, not just charger hoggers. ;) :D

Envious of your ability to take on such trips on electric with so little fuss, not sure all that caffeine will be doing you good though!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It's a shame that DFDS are ending the Esbjerg to Harwich service, with the Tesla range on-ferry charging would pretty much get you anywhere in the UK/Denmark, but I can understand why they are stopping it the price was becoming very uncompetitive..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Parax, our original intention was the Harwich route but a un-competitive price of 875 GBP for the return crossing without any sort of food or drink was a bit steep to me!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
@Parax, our original intention was the Harwich route but a un-competitive price of 875 GBP for the return crossing without any sort of food or drink was a bit steep to me!
Yes, I would have been over many more times than just the twice if the price was more reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts