Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I feel your pain Paul.

I'm putting my pennies away ready for the Model E.

·
Super Moderator
7,533 Posts
Split over 10 years the payments are not so bad...!

My spec would be about the same I think Paul, 85 is just a no brainer, then the tech pack and parking sensors. I keep wondering if there's something I could do with the car in my spare time that could generate some cash. Cabbing, delivering pizzas or prestige car work, that kind of thing...

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I have to avoid the Model S whenever I'm at Tesla... it's just so tempting and a base 60kW version at £50,280 would meet most of our driving requirements today.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am starting to think a bit weird... we are about to move house so I am thinking... just spend £50k less on the house - job done! :eek:

I am curious why I am feeling this though because it is only a car! What is so alluring about any car that makes us all spend so much money on one?

I am not a "keep up with the Jones" type so it isn't prestige for me. Of course I love the tech of EVs and especially of Tesla but there must be something else, something so fundamentally base, that makes people think that spending this kind of money on any car is OK.

Of course, it is OK if that is what you want to do with your money but I am fascinated as to why so many of us feel the need to do it.

·
Super Moderator
7,533 Posts
The Tesla is the car that proves we're all right about EV's. That they are the future, that they are better than ICE cars. That no "breakthrough" is needed, that they can be good looking and more than practical. Take the trip to Sunderland last week, I could have just got in an S85 and driven there without stopping once. Leave the car on a chademo for about 2 hours and I can drive home, again without stopping. Coming from Saltash a single 90 minute stop at ~Nottingham and you're there, although arguably you'd still want an overnight stop somewhere as 12 hours+ of driving is a bit much for one day...

·
Super Moderator
7,533 Posts
I have to avoid the Model S whenever I'm at Tesla... it's just so tempting and a base 60kW version at £50,280 would meet most of our driving requirements today.
But the £7,400 upgrade to an 85 gets you an extra 25kwh, better power/performance, unlimited mileage battery warranty and supercharging!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
But the £7,400 upgrade to an 85 gets you an extra 25kwh, better power/performance, unlimited mileage battery warranty and supercharging!
Sure, but we don't actually need that for the vast majority of our driving... 60kWh would allow me to undertake all my driving around Europe although I'd admit that a second AC charger and Supercharging would make it a lot easier so lets call it £53,300 :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The extra 25kWh for me was a complete no-brainer especially given the other extras included as you mentioned.

Other options I chose: tech pack, adjustable suspension, parking sensors, 22kw charger, type 2 cable, 4 yrs annual service, security package, Air Suspension.

Of course a lot of that I can do without but if I am spending that kind of money on a car then I want the options I want... not just the basic car.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There are quite a few options I looked at that were nice to have

The glass roof, yes nice to have but given the UK weather it would be a few days a year you can really use it
Front fog lights, again for the one day a year
Only specced a single charger at this point, given the 2nd can be added at no extra cost later thought I would see how I went
Selected the standard S85 no P or + options as I am 46, not a boy racer any more and the standard car is more than fast enough especially after my leaf :)

Tech package was a must, just because....

19 inch wheels, yes the 21s look stunning but given the state of the UK roads rather have a bit more rubber and air between me and the surface

total was around 64k

·
Super Moderator
7,533 Posts
Yeah on my test drive I was a bit amused by "to make the ride better on the UK roads this model has the 19" wheels fitted"

Since when have 19's been the answer to a more comfy ride!! :eek:

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Of course a lot of that I can do without but if I am spending that kind of money on a car then I want the options I want... not just the basic car.
I completely understand and think this is where it gets really interesting.... maybe the Tesla Model S has transitioned from a car to a must have gadget... this seems to be why many in the investment community see a Tesla and Apple merger with Elon Musk at the helm :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just noticed a typo in my OP... I specced a S85... not the P... for the same reason as you Jon and also the standard car is way quicker than anyone will need. Beyond 5secs 0-60 it is pretty much just numbers for me.

Sorry for the Typo :)

@sallybuswell had a Lotus Elan SE when I first met her and at 5.8secs and road-holding like glue that was plenty fast for any one IMO.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Also worth remembering that you could always buy a crashed 85kWh (or 100kWh?) Model S in the future and upgrade your pack... it's 'easy' :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts