Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll beat the usual 'Tesla-suspects' by posting this announcement first!

Read the detail at http://insideevs.com/tesla-motors-gigafactory-announcement/

I've not been particularly moved by the Tesla-hype of recent months; however, this announcement could be a seismic shift for EV product and availability!

I will be at the front of the queue for 200 mile mid sized BEV at the equivalent to $35-40K!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not if I see you first ;-) ....)
I guess you will be thinking of keeping the C-0 going and binning the Leaf-interim? I'm going to be challenged with my mileage, but I'm sure keepin the 'i' is the right solution.
Apologies to Nissan - but they seem to be in a 'rut' with only one model to offer! No apologies to VW / BMW - they should have brought longer range models out - from the start!

Reactions: Paul

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I guess you will be thinking of keeping the C-0 going and binning the Leaf-interim? I'm going to be challenged with my mileage, but I'm sure keepin the 'i' is the right solution.
Apologies to Nissan - but they seem to be in a 'rut' with only one model to offer! No apologies to VW / BMW - they should have brought longer range models out - from the start!
If I could bin the C-Zero and switch for any other current EV I think I would. I wish I had waited a couple of months and gone for a Leaf, but I would also love a current Leaf, or an i3 (a REX would be perfect). I could even live with a Zoe despite the battery lease.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
A friend of mine said he is glad he bought a Zoe so he could lean all the things Renault are doing wrong and warn others so they don't make his mistake, sees it almost as a public service

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.... I could even live with a Zoe despite the battery lease.
That does surprise me - the Zoe is prettier than the Leaf, but that's about it. Maybe I can accept that way up north, the extra range would be good - it seems to have 20-25 miles more than that the Leaf? However, having read the chat: Why I can no longer recommend the Renault Zoe its kind of a well-nailed-down coffin?
Maybe the threat of a Tesla-E will get a good response from the competition - I bet that today there were lots of frenzied conversations at Renault and Nissan - just how to respond!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This presentation has been circulated by Tesla and reflect some fairly mature proposals; However, there may be several weakness in the overall strategy: where will all the raw material be sourced from is Lithium economically mineable in the quantities required; how much infrastructure is rehired to support a factory of this size - and who will fund and build it; can the other investors manage the risk - The expected demand for EVs is very much part of the Evon Musk 'dream' - do the investors think it is sustainable?
Certainly I view this proposal as a 'game changer' - if it succeeds then Tesla will be supreme! However, if GM and VW rise-to-the-bait we will (at last) see genuine competition in the EV market!

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to see you advising Tesla on their corporate strategy Brian, I'm sure they haven't considered all those points ;-)
In life there are 3 types of people that you should be well to be sceptical off: Financial Advisors, Car Salesmen and Politicians. This article has so much spin on it, that it reads like science fiction!
As for your put-down - well I can only say that the purpose of a chat room is for dialogue - so people can share expertise and experience - to impart knowledge and wisdom - to express opinion and to challenge all that is written in order to best understand the validity of what is being said?
The quantity of fluff and spin coming from Tesla is without precedented in any commercial or political arena. What is really surprising is is how Tesla PR output has become the new chain mail. Why do people clog websites with multiple repetitions of the same message. Its bonkers, we can read the messages on the global websites - there is no need to repost it here (or LeafTalk, or Google+) - unless you have added meaningful comment?
If Paul you are not interested in analysis - then move on from what you are reading.
Comments as above only point to a blinker attitude to information exchange.:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts